What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mickey Spillane’s tough, two-fisted private detective Mike Hammer first came to the screen in 1953’s I, the Jury, mostly faithful to the original novel with script and direction by Harry Essex.

I, the Jury (1953)

Released: 14 Aug 1953
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 87 min

Director: Harry Essex
Genre: Crime, Drama, Film-Noir

Cast: Biff Elliot, Preston Foster, Peggie Castle
Writer(s): Mickey Spillane, Harry Essex

Plot: Dectective Mike Hammer is determined to catch and kill the person who shot his close friend dead, so he follows clues that lead to a beautiful, seductive woman.

IMDB rating: 6.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Studio Canal
Distributed By: ClassicFlix
Video Resolution: 1080P/MVC...

Continue reading...

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Matt, thanks for your great review!

I, The Jury had some really notable 3-D pop out when I saw it at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood during the World 3-D Expo in 2013. I am glad to hear that the excellent stereography is preserved on this 3-D Blu-ray Disc.

It was a lot of fun watching this film in 3-D with a live audience in a theater. Biff Elliot played Mike Hammer wonderfully over the top. Hammer always seems to go out of his way in this film to engage in fisticuffs with any person, for any reason. I remember many audience members, including myself, breaking into laughter whenever Elliot, as Hammer, would lose his cool at the slightest provocation and begin throwing fists. I have to think the humor was unintentional by the filmmakers, but seeing this film 60 years after it was produced, one could not avoid thinking that this Mike Hammer fellow would be a prime candidate for anger management by current social standards.

I attended screenings of 3 films during that festival: The Maze, Inferno, and I, The Jury. It is wonderful that all 3 films are available now on
3-D blu ray.

Of the 3 films that I watched during the film festival, I, The Jury displayed the best 3-D in my opinion. I agree with everything Matt says in his review regarding the cinematography by John Alton. In watching the film, I was particularly impressed with the staging of scenes filmed on location in the Bradbury Building in downtown Los Angeles (to be used years later by Ridley Scott in Blade Runner). I thought that those location scenes in I, The Jury really made fine use of multiple depths of field in 3-D staging.

I cannot wait to see this film on disc, which I see that my preorder has now been shipped. I will be interested to hear whether home viewers of this film will derive the same mirth from Mike Hammer’s hare trigger temper as did that theater audience years ago.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ordered 10/25 2:48pm. In my mailbox 10/27 10:42am.

IMG_1859.JPG

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I received my preorder from ClassicFlix a couple of days ago and have checked out the 3D disc. If anything, the 3D on disc is even more impressive than in the theatrical presentation at the 3-D Expo in 2013.

I also appreciate inclusion in the special features of the 1954 Mike Hammer TV pilot, starring Brian Keith, written and directed by Blake Edwards.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I wasn’t feeling Elliot in this film. I think Brian Keith would have been better cast in that role. That’s my only complaint about the film’s cast.

I’m very happy with the 3-D presentation and consider it one of the best I’ve seen in the last several years.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I wasn’t feeling Elliot in this film. I think Brian Keith would have been better cast in that role. That’s my only complaint about the film’s cast.

Great minds think alike, Robert. You've got allies on this other thread (btw... wondering if it makes sense that these three Jury threads might be combined in some way... ?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks