What's new

I need cables now (1 Viewer)

Charbel

Agent
Another stupid newbie question. I`m going to use an AV receiver as a pre pro. What cables do I need to connect the receiver with a 5 channel amp? Is there only one kind? Or is there different types like digital, coax, etc.? Do I have a choice for the type of cable? I`m most likely going with BetterCables.com brand.

Erik Farstad

Supporting Actor
Charbel, I'd also check out Link Removed There coppercats might be just perfect for you, or the silvercats (which what I use) IMHO! Good luck...also, Doug is the "nicest" guy in the world! Great to work with.
E
------------------
The Norwegian Audio/Video NUT!

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I am assuming the receiver and amplifiers are set up for standard phono (RCA) type line-level jacks and not balanced type (XLR) jacks.
You will need one standard RCA interconnect cable for each channel. If you have a 5.1 system with a powered subwoofer, this would mean 6-RCA type interconnects. One for each of the speaker channels with the interconnect running from the "pre-out" of the receiver to the "line-in" of the amplifier (5 total), and one for the subwoofer "pre-out" to the subwoofer line-in.
If you already know the placement of the units relative to each other and you are able to easily access the units with them in their component "rack", go with the shortest allowable interconnect to accomplish the connection, 0.5-meter if feasible. This will decrease the jumble of cords that you will have to deal with.
If you have to "pull" the units out of a shelf, connect the cords, and place back in a shelf, then make sure you have adequate interconnect length to acoomplish this task.
If you have a 5-channel amplifier, Bettercables may be able to supply you with the necessary number of interconnects all contained within a single casing with different colored heat shrinks on each end for each channel. This would be ideal for cord management.
Call Brad at Bettercables and discuss your equipment set-up, length requirements, etc. with him and he can set you up with exactly what you need.
Good Luck,
Mike

Charbel

Agent
Thank you mike, "You will need one standard RCA interconnect cable for each channel" I guess that`s what i was looking for.
"I am assuming the receiver and amplifiers are set up for standard phono (RCA) type line-level jacks and not balanced type (XLR) jacks" Now that, I have no idea. but I can tell you it`s a fairly new receiver (onkyo 787) I called BETTERCABLES and awaiting a call back. thanks again.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
you definitely have rca jacks on the back of your onkyo. they are those silver plugs you see all over the back of your receiver.
:)
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Charbel

Agent
OK here goes. one meter single Silver Serpent Audio interconnects. Is this right? Five of these? I`m thinking I already have one for my powered sub. btw the one for my sub would be the same type of cable? Just a different length?

Mike OConnell

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Five would be correct as long as you are only running a 5.1 system!
However, if you are running an EX system with one or two "back" channels (6.1 or 7.1), then you need one more cable for each of these channels....... and the beat goes on....
The Onkyo you mentioned has 6.1 channels of amplification and allows for 7.1 channels by a 7.1 channel input with pre-outs for 7.1. Of course, you can always buy the 5 interconnects now and get the additional ones as needed if you expand your system.
Or, you can use the Onkyo internal amps for the rear channel(s) and possibly the surround channels and only use outboard amplification for the front and center channel.
What amplifier do you have or are you anticipating purchasing?
Yes, the same type of cable for the powered sub, as long as needed to reach that "beast of bass". You should be able to use the same cable that you are currently using.
Good Luck,
Mike

Charbel

Agent
I`m getting the Parasound 2205 (5 ch amp) and I`m not planning on getting the other 2 surround channels. But I also did`nt think I was getting a seperate amp, until now! lol

PomingF

Second Unit
The BC Silver Serpentine, I believe uses silver claded copper wires which sometimes may sound a bit bright with certain gear. I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to pay for small increments in performance. I have higher end cables in my music system until I came across the all silver SilverCats @ great prices & equal performance. I am working on having my entire system a Cats 'makeover'.
PF

If you are using 5.1, you will actually need 6 cables. One for each of the 5 channels and one for the LFE (.1). You can get 6 1m interconnects. What you might also try is what I just did. I needed to setup my Panny RP-91 to use the DVD-Audio and bought a 5.1 cable from IXOS. It was $70 for a 2m and it had the 6 RCAs on each end. Six different colors so it is easy to keep track on both ends which is which. Much cleaner also. I will also use a second one of these when I connect the upcoming Outlaw ICBM in between the Panny and the Receiver.
Hope this helps!
sdg
------------------

Joe Wong

Senior HTF Member
Scott,
If I may ask, where did you get the 5.1 IXOS 2m cables for $70?
Thanks!
Joe
------------------
Movie reviews and discussion...Link Removed

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
The one thing you don't need to do is spend a fortune on cables. Scotts approach is prudent but one could spend less with the main difference being money in your pocket.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
then just return them...lemons come in all price ranges...recall that lemon Lambourghini story a couple of years ago?

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
The best noise inducing cables in the world have Radioshack written all over them.
Never once in all my years using RS wires have I had this problem (nor any other problem). RS is by far one of the best values out there for HT and speaker wires.
Seems too many folks are being sucked into the huge "our wires are prettier and better than theirs" marketing machine IMHO.
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at Link Removed
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks