I need cables now

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charbel, Jul 27, 2001.

1. Charbel

Charbel Agent

Another stupid newbie question. I`m going to use an AV receiver as a pre pro. What cables do I need to connect the receiver with a 5 channel amp? Is there only one kind? Or is there different types like digital, coax, etc.? Do I have a choice for the type of cable? I`m most likely going with BetterCables.com brand.

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Charbel, I'd also check out www.catcables.com. There coppercats might be just perfect for you, or the silvercats (which what I use) IMHO! Good luck...also, Doug is the "nicest" guy in the world! Great to work with.
    E
    ------------------
    The Norwegian Audio/Video NUT!

3. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    I am assuming the receiver and amplifiers are set up for standard phono (RCA) type line-level jacks and not balanced type (XLR) jacks.
    You will need one standard RCA interconnect cable for each channel. If you have a 5.1 system with a powered subwoofer, this would mean 6-RCA type interconnects. One for each of the speaker channels with the interconnect running from the "pre-out" of the receiver to the "line-in" of the amplifier (5 total), and one for the subwoofer "pre-out" to the subwoofer line-in.
    If you already know the placement of the units relative to each other and you are able to easily access the units with them in their component "rack", go with the shortest allowable interconnect to accomplish the connection, 0.5-meter if feasible. This will decrease the jumble of cords that you will have to deal with.
    If you have to "pull" the units out of a shelf, connect the cords, and place back in a shelf, then make sure you have adequate interconnect length to acoomplish this task.
    If you have a 5-channel amplifier, Bettercables may be able to supply you with the necessary number of interconnects all contained within a single casing with different colored heat shrinks on each end for each channel. This would be ideal for cord management.
    Call Brad at Bettercables and discuss your equipment set-up, length requirements, etc. with him and he can set you up with exactly what you need.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

4. Charbel

Charbel Agent

Thank you mike, "You will need one standard RCA interconnect cable for each channel" I guess that`s what i was looking for.
    "I am assuming the receiver and amplifiers are set up for standard phono (RCA) type line-level jacks and not balanced type (XLR) jacks" Now that, I have no idea. but I can tell you it`s a fairly new receiver (onkyo 787) I called BETTERCABLES and awaiting a call back. thanks again.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

you definitely have rca jacks on the back of your onkyo. they are those silver plugs you see all over the back of your receiver.
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

6. Charbel

Charbel Agent

OK here goes. one meter single Silver Serpent Audio interconnects. Is this right? Five of these? I`m thinking I already have one for my powered sub. btw the one for my sub would be the same type of cable? Just a different length?

7. Mike OConnell

Mike OConnell Second Unit

Mike
    Five would be correct as long as you are only running a 5.1 system!
    However, if you are running an EX system with one or two "back" channels (6.1 or 7.1), then you need one more cable for each of these channels....... and the beat goes on....
    The Onkyo you mentioned has 6.1 channels of amplification and allows for 7.1 channels by a 7.1 channel input with pre-outs for 7.1. Of course, you can always buy the 5 interconnects now and get the additional ones as needed if you expand your system.
    Or, you can use the Onkyo internal amps for the rear channel(s) and possibly the surround channels and only use outboard amplification for the front and center channel.
    What amplifier do you have or are you anticipating purchasing?
    Yes, the same type of cable for the powered sub, as long as needed to reach that "beast of bass". You should be able to use the same cable that you are currently using.
    Good Luck,
    Mike

8. Charbel

Charbel Agent

I`m getting the Parasound 2205 (5 ch amp) and I`m not planning on getting the other 2 surround channels. But I also did`nt think I was getting a seperate amp, until now! lol

9. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

The BC Silver Serpentine, I believe uses silver claded copper wires which sometimes may sound a bit bright with certain gear. I guess it all depends on how much you are willing to pay for small increments in performance. I have higher end cables in my music system until I came across the all silver SilverCats @ great prices & equal performance. I am working on having my entire system a Cats 'makeover'.
    PF

10. Scott Gaffney

If you are using 5.1, you will actually need 6 cables. One for each of the 5 channels and one for the LFE (.1). You can get 6 1m interconnects. What you might also try is what I just did. I needed to setup my Panny RP-91 to use the DVD-Audio and bought a 5.1 cable from IXOS. It was $70 for a 2m and it had the 6 RCAs on each end. Six different colors so it is easy to keep track on both ends which is which. Much cleaner also. I will also use a second one of these when I connect the upcoming Outlaw ICBM in between the Panny and the Receiver.
    Hope this helps!
    sdg
    ------------------

11. Joe Wong

Joe Wong Second Unit

Scott,
    If I may ask, where did you get the 5.1 IXOS 2m cables for $70?
    Thanks!
    Joe
    ------------------
    Movie reviews and discussion...Joe's Movie Mutterings

12. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

The one thing you don't need to do is spend a fortune on cables. Scotts approach is prudent but one could spend less with the main difference being money in your pocket.

13. David Ki

David Ki Agent

Radioshack has the best cables
    joking of course [​IMG]

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

and your problems with them were what david?

15. David Ki

David Ki Agent

The best noise inducing cables in the world have Radioshack written all over them.

16. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

what, no link for supporting documentation?

17. David Ki

David Ki Agent

personal documentation

18. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

then just return them...lemons come in all price ranges...recall that lemon Lambourghini story a couple of years ago?

19. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie

20. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

was there ever a designer cable that was reviewed poorly?