I must be cursed :/

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeathStar1, Aug 12, 2002.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

I take a self imposed vacation down the shore for a month. The goal was to ride 8 miles a day on the bike, and curb the eating habits, hoping I'd lose some weight.

The 8 mile a day goal was met every day of the month except two, due to high winds and storms(One day a hurricane must have blown through, heh). Sometimes, I even rode twelve miles a day. For those that know the JErsey Shore area by Point Pleasant, I usually rode the bike from Lavalette Water Tower, all the way down to Ilsand Point Beach(where there's a gated toll road).

We didn't get a scale to keep me motivated, but I'm finally back home today. First thing I do, get on the scale, and, a bit of a surprise,I'm still at the same weight.

I just don't get it. I feel thinner. Xtra large shirts fit better than they used to 2 months ago. I feel better, and I even think I look a tad bit thinner, but the scale dosn't say so...

Maby I'm doomed to be 220-230 in size, heh.

2. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Well, a couple of observations, take what you like and ignore the rest...
    First, 8 miles on a bike is not really very far and probably isn't going to burn a lot of calories. It will depend on your speed to some degree, but 10 miles at 12mph will only burn about 350 calories. You need to go faster or farther to really start to do some good.
    See this bicycle calculator for more precise calculations.
    You could have converted some fat to muscle which is denser, but don't count on it....

3. John Miles

John Miles Stunt Coordinator

That's an interesting calculator page, but it seems to be pretty badly broken. The hotter the temperature, the fewer calories it reports.

4. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

You also didn't mention how you did on the better eating side of things.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>You also didn't mention how you did on the better eating side of things. >
    Well, 5 glasses of cold water evey day instead of 2/mixed with Sodas. Breakfast(The most important meal of the day [​IMG]), every day instead of 3-4 days a week.
    McDonalds once every 8 days instead of every 3 days. Depending on how I felt, I'd either skip lunch, or dinner, and just eat a small bagel or something to tyde me over. Everytime I ate a meal, I'd do an 8 mile bike ride just to work it off...
    Most of the rides where done in 90 degree days, and probably about 6 mph, depending on the wind.

6. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Neil:

Sounds like a good base for a healthier lifestyle. However, you're still taking in lots of calories - breakfast foods, McDonalds, bagels - all high calorie foods.

You just have to get into the zone, give up the fast food, and stick with it. A month of change isn't going to make you fit. As they say on "Abs of Steel," Consistency Is Key.

7. Jonathan Smith

Jonathan Smith Stunt Coordinator

8. Rob Tenniswood

Rob Tenniswood Stunt Coordinator

It's also possible that you lost the fat and put on muscle in stead. With that kind of work-out every day, and protein that you had in your system would have definitely helped put on some muscle.

9. Kenneth

Kenneth Supporting Actor

10. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

11. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>A month vacation- I haven't had one of those EVER.>
    One of the good things about having an internet buisness. You only work when you have new customers to sign up. Even that takes less than 10 minutes. After that, all you do is collect checks and pay bills [​IMG]. Also, as I stated earlier, you don't need to travel, so you can pretty much do whatever you want [​IMG].

12. Bruce Chang

Bruce Chang Second Unit

Get hyperthyroidism like me! [​IMG] Lost 25 pounds in 1 month!

13. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

>hyperthyroidism>

If I knew what this was, maby I'd be able to look into it, heh.