What's new

I Might Pass on Trek III, How Bout You? (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
The First two Trek Special Editions offered something really unique new Cuts of the Films. First off I own all the Trek Disks on DVD. All but 5,6&7 offer really nice transfers. If the rest of these collectors editions are simply the theatrical cuts of the films, with an extra disk of Featurettes I might just pass on them. Commentaries are nice and I might rent the disks to listen to it once but I don't know if I can justify buying these again. Trek's 5,6 &7 are a no brainer since they will have new anamorphic transfers. I'd like to hear the Forum's Opinions.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
Hi Dave,
I will be picking up this disc and #4 as well. I realize that all too often the term "featurette" is a euphemism for "promotional fluff", but I've been very happy with the featurettes on TMP and the TNG boxes. They are very substantial, not like the "HBO Featurettes" we've seen on other discs.
The audio commentary with cast & crew should be nice but I'm most looking forward to the TEXT COMMENTARY by MICHAEL OKUDA.
"I... have had... enough of YOU!!!!" - JT Kirk :)

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I never purchased the original releases, because I felt the release of future SE's was a sure thing. I will certainly be purchasing the new II,III, and IV. I might purchase a future SE of First Contact, should it ever happen. I think the rest of the the Trek films are pretty much passable. Insurrection might be one of the worst movies ever made.
Im crossing my fingers for Nemesis.

Steve Bjorg

Stunt Coordinator
I just have to ask. Why is 'Insurrection' so hated. I thought it was by far the best of the new series. 'Generations' was simply ridiculously bad. I still can't believe that was the cornerstone project for introducing the next generation to the silver screen. They really failed in giving Kirk a heroic death (although it was one). As for 'First Contact', that just didn't make sense. Why would the Borg send the queen? And how comes it's a party-freak like Cochrane that gets to save the world... perplexing?

However, in Insurrection, it was a nice self-contained story with morale values: it doesn't matter how few people would have to suffer to help many more, principles are principles. And, of course, some nice actions scenes to pep things up.

Anyway, don't mean to offend anyone, just trying balance things out a little. I feel 'Insurrection' doesn't deserved the slandering is has been getting.

Chris M

Second Unit
Steve.. I agree actually, while of the TNG movies First Contact was the BEST... Insurrection was really good, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Generations was kinda hokey, but good fun nonetheless.
As for Star Trek 3, I'm definately getting the SE, I have the originals of all but ST:5, and I'm looking forward to the various extra features to help a trekie flesh out some of the points. As well, the little tidbits of information are fun facts that you can use to liven up any party... or not :)
Chris.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
My problems with Insurrection were the attempts at comedy. Worf's acne, Riker flying the ship with a joystick...wasn't there some wacky singing going on in the shuttle? I haven't seen it since its original theatrical release, even though I bought the DVD. This was the worst ST movie since Kirk, Spock and McCoy singing "Row, row, row your boat... Ugh!

Mike Graham

Supporting Actor
First off, count me in for all of the Star Trek DVD special editions. I've been a fan of Trek for quite some time now, and found all of the films at least partially entertaining.
Search For Spock, while certainly not the best, was still a great outing that will be great to experience on DVD (I never even rented the original release on DVD and all the VHS editions I watched were Pan & Scan :frowning: ) backed up with a commentary and numerous featurettes. The murder of Kirk's son was done very well, and the acting by Mark Leonard for Sarek was great. Can't wait for October to come any faster. :emoji_thumbsup:
Hopefully the rest of the series will be as packed with supplements as the first two editions are; even if there are no deleted scenes it'll be nice to have commentaries by the directors for all of these films.
The Voyage Home is by far one of the series' best, with its mix of humour and environmental message that harkens back to the original series of the 60s - can't wait to hear the commentary on this one.
While The Final Frontier is considered the worst, I'll still buy its SE because it was the first Trek film I ever watched, and I ended up actually enjoying most of it in a popcorn kind of way. I realize of course I'm in the minority, but to each his own.
I also hope the cropping and placement for The Undiscovered Country is fixed, as its my understanding that its not centered on the screen and the aspect ratio is cropped to something like 2:1 instead of the standard scopre ratio of 2.35:1 (I guess its not a problem if the cinematographer and director approve, however).
A nice anamorphic transfer and some even better supplements will go along way towards making the purchase of Generations easier.
First Contact will be an easy purchase with the addition of a Jonathan Frakes and Patrick Stewart commentary.
Finally, I thought Insurrection was just a humourous, but moral ride through the Trek universe. The previous film was so dark and brooding that the producers figured we needed to lighten up, which I greatly appreciated. Once again, to each his own.
Overall, I can't wait to own all of these films (and the upcoming Nemesis) on DVD by (hopefully) the fourth quarter of 2003.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Let's not forget Data talking to Worf about Sagging Breasts ! Really Trek's attempts at humor, with the execption of IV , have generally been lame. The producers of the film still see the Boxoffice Tallies from #4 and decide they need to force humor in there. What they fail torealize was that TrekIV had humor that was derived from the characters,not purpratrated on the characters like Scotty being knocked unconscious or Data singing his Stupid Lifeforms song.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I would actually like to challenge Paramount to come up with some extras for the Star Trek V SE DVD that actually make it worth buying.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
I will be picking all the S.E.'s up of the Trek films. Since I did not purchase the other release when they came out.

Jeff

Supporting Actor
My problems with Insurrection were the attempts at comedy
This has been a problem since Star Trek 4, although the humor went well with this movie. Since it did such a good box office, the boys at Paramount thought that putting more comedy in the movies would draw more crowds. Thus Star Trek 5's silly comedy antics like Scotty's slap stick moment where he hit his head, etc, etc.

Star Trek 1,2, and 3 were the only movies where the comedy was kept to a minimum. There were still too many silly moments in Star Trek 6, IMO. FC was pretty much comedy free as well.

Anyway, I'll definitely be picking up #3. With the destruction of the first enterprise and the killing of Kirks son, it had a lot going for it.

Jeff

Anders Englund

Second Unit
The Motion Picture: A bit slow, but quite an interesting storyline.
The Wrath of Khan: Certainly on of the best in the series. I will certainly get the SE.
The Search for Spock: A little bit goofy, but it's an interesting look at the Vulcans. The SE will be mine.
The Voyage Home: Save the whales? Phu-lease! I fail to see why this is generally considered one of the best in the series. But it's Star Trek, so I'll get the SE.
The Final Frontier: Not very good, but fun. I'll get the SE just to complete the series.
The Undiscovered Country: One of my personal favourites. The current edition sucks, sO I'll buy an SE.
Generations: Nah, well... Yea, I'll get an SE of this one too. If nothing else, Malcolm McDowell is quite cool.
First Contact: Great Sci-fi action. SE! SE! SE!
Insurrection: Kinda cute story, but not bad. SE, please!
wasn't there some wacky singing going on in the shuttle?
That "wacky singing" was A British Tar from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore. Quite a catchy tune if you ask me. Made me wanna see the play.
--Anders

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'm a Star Trek NUT! I'll keep buying as long as there is some marginal improvement, no matter how minor. Call it crazy, but we're all a little crazy in some way.:crazy: :eek: :laugh: :p) :wink:

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I would buy this even if I owned the original due to the commentary. However, as I never buy vanilla discs except when the movie is truly excellent or there's never a chance of an SE, I don't own any of the original ST movie run.
It'll probably be the only odd-numbered ST movie I'll pick up, though!:D

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
I own all the current Trek discs and will be picking up these SE's (The Search for Spock included) as they are released.
I agree with the posters above that the commentary tracks alone would justify the cost of the ST III SE; everything else is just gravy!
Besides, I've got lots of friends and relatives that are just now getting into DVD that are just casual Star Trek fans that I'm sure will be happy to have the original Search for Spock disc.
AS for Insurrection: I actually liked this movie more in its DVD incarnation than I did when I experienced it in the theater. It seems more like an expanded episode of the TNG series than a true movie, and in that context I thought the humor was fine. Some of the SFX for this "episode" were arguably the best in the series as well. It's just an "average" Trek movie, which means it's still better than at least 60% of all other movies. :)

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I just have to ask. Why is 'Insurrection' so hated. I thought it was by far the best of the new series. 'Generations' was simply ridiculously bad.
Generations is absolutely atrocious! I'd rather sit through The Final Frontier two times in a row. Insurrection, on the other hand, is hated because it plays like a TV movie, is concept rather than gung-ho sci-fi, and has the aforementioned "funny" bits. Personally, I rather like it, as it injects a sense of wonder not often found in latter-day Trek. Also, F Murray Abraham is a classy villain, the best since Christopher Plummer's Chang IMHO.

Barry_B_B

Second Unit
Real Name
Barry
"That "wacky singing" was A British Tar from Gilbert & Sullivan's HMS Pinafore. Quite a catchy tune if you ask me. Made me wanna see the play. "
I'm with you Anders, from the astoundingly
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
similar opinions on the movies
to the play
:)

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Erm, don't you mean even-numbered...?! ;)
That's either the most obscure joke on record or I missed the meeting where 1,3,5,7,9 were labelled 'even' numbers!! ;)
I would only own ST III because it's the middle of the trilogy. Otherwise I'd not bother. Not a Trekker - I just enjoy a good ST movie, which for me is II, IV, VI and First Contact.
Actually I've never seen Insurrection and I might enjoy it for all I know...:D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
As I didn't buy ST 3 on the first go-round I will most certainly be picking up the SE. ST 5 is the one I'll have the most trouble with. Current plans have it as the only hole in my collection. The collector in me doesn't like that one bit, so hopefully Paramount will put something on the disc to make it worthwhile (something other than the film).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks