What's new

I may be crazy but... (1 Viewer)

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
It seems to me that my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27 has been getting a better picture everytime I watch my DVDs. I seem to notice better blacks and better overall picture detail than I have since I had it delivered almost a year ago. Keep in mind that I haven't changed my DVD player at all. Am I crazy? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Jeremy- I watch DVDs I've gotten from when I got my first DVD Player (The Matrix, Payback, Cruel Intentions, etc) as well as more recent purchases (Clerks, Say Anything, Mulholland Drive, Galaxy Quest, Moulin Rouge, etc). I know you're thinking it's probably better transfers on the new DVDs but I still notice a slight improvement in quality on the older DVDs. As I said, I may be crazy and perhaps it's the pending purchase (later this year) of my Widescreen HDTV that's getting to me. ;)
EDIT: I just thought of something. Could it possibly be my recent window shopping of HDTVs that's opened my eyes to detail that I may not have noticed before?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I'm sure it's a perceptual issue, Brian. To my knowledge, direct-view sets don't undergo a "break-in" period. Too, maybe you're developing a more critical eye since taking deliverary of that relatively sophisticated set. And one thing I've noticed with both NTSC-only and ATSC-based WEGAs is they retain black levels very well--and that contributes greatly to the post-calibration viewing experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks