I may be crazy but...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Harnish, Jun 15, 2002.

1. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

It seems to me that my Sony WEGA KV-32FV27 has been getting a better picture everytime I watch my DVDs. I seem to notice better blacks and better overall picture detail than I have since I had it delivered almost a year ago. Keep in mind that I haven't changed my DVD player at all. Am I crazy? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

2. Jeremy Engel

Jeremy Engel Extra

Do you watch the same dvd over and over again or a newer and newer dvd.

3. Brian Harnish

Brian Harnish Screenwriter

Jeremy- I watch DVDs I've gotten from when I got my first DVD Player (The Matrix, Payback, Cruel Intentions, etc) as well as more recent purchases (Clerks, Say Anything, Mulholland Drive, Galaxy Quest, Moulin Rouge, etc). I know you're thinking it's probably better transfers on the new DVDs but I still notice a slight improvement in quality on the older DVDs. As I said, I may be crazy and perhaps it's the pending purchase (later this year) of my Widescreen HDTV that's getting to me. [​IMG]
    EDIT: I just thought of something. Could it possibly be my recent window shopping of HDTVs that's opened my eyes to detail that I may not have noticed before?

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I'm sure it's a perceptual issue, Brian. To my knowledge, direct-view sets don't undergo a "break-in" period. Too, maybe you're developing a more critical eye since taking deliverary of that relatively sophisticated set. And one thing I've noticed with both NTSC-only and ATSC-based WEGAs is they retain black levels very well--and that contributes greatly to the post-calibration viewing experience.