What's new

I know nothing-- DIY subs (Long) (1 Viewer)

Steve WC

Stunt Coordinator
I am not a DIY guy. I get nervous when I have to hang a picture. I have recently been trying to learn about subs and frequent this forum regularly. I also have researhed many retail subs such as Adire, HSU, Aperion, and HTD. I need a sub!!

Out of all the subs I have seen the Rava appealed the most to me but I am worried about its output in a medium size room (12x15x8). By accident I ended up at the Stryke audio website were I saw the Power 15.2. I really like the looks of this sub. I then started reading all the posts dealing with Passive Radiators.

I guess my dream sub would be the Rava with a passive radiator (I think!).

Would something like this be possible?

I know Acoustic Visions has a 85L PR but at 3ft square that would be to big.

Could a sub like this be built in a box the size of the Rava (about 18" square) and if so how low could it be tuned? The Stryke box is 22" square which is about as big as I would like to go.

Would it be good for both music and HT?

Thanks for taking your time to enlighten. I could not build this if I wanted to, but if it is feasable I could have someone else do it for me. Thanks.

Steve

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Steve,

85L is 3ft^3. Internally, without consideration for bracing or anything, this would be just under an 18" cube.

Look at the Shiva apps on the Adire website. They show several different alignments for PR subs complete with dimensions and everything.

Brian

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
In your size room, I beleive the Rava would produce enough bass for you unless you are a big basshead.

Rob Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I built an 85L PR. If you feel like taking a trip to CT I'd be happy to show you what it can do.

Brian was correct, it's only an 18" cube. I have the drivers on the side so it's about 19 1/2" tall w/ the metal spikes.

-Rob Lloyd

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Steve. I live in NYC in the Brooklyn Heights area and I have a 75 Litre sub with a DVC 12" (which is very similar to the Shiva Driver)driver that was built by Rob Lloyd and overseen by Kyle Richardson of Acoustic Visions. I don't have a PR design but I do have a ported which should give you a good idea of what type of bass you'd be looking to get especially since our rooms are almost the same size. My room is about 11 x 16 which is ideal. If you take the LIRR to Atlantic Avenue, I could meet you right there and I live maybe 5 mins by car from there.

E-mail me and lets hook this up.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Exactly how much power is needed to drive the power 15.2? I heard it takes a lot of power to start pushing the driver in such a small enclosure...500 watts mininum.

What wattage to get the sub 110 db at 20hz?

Speaking to John earlier, he said you could use the AV15 in the larger 25inch power 15.2 cube and would have similar results of the HE15 in the 22 inch cube with only a more affordable 350watt amp.

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Steve,
Since you sounds like you won't build the sub yourself, you might want to contact Brian Bunge of Rutledge Audio Design (first guy to reply to your post) to build you one. I know he didn't mention it in the post but he is known for building great quality subs from what I understand.
Hey, Brian- even though you don't remember me;) , - why is your signature gone?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrharris
Recent bookmarks