My first DIY project: a subwoofer with DefTech amps. PLEASE HELP,I don't have a clue!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Javier_Huerta, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Javier_Huerta

Javier_Huerta Supporting Actor

About how to start the project, at least [​IMG]
    Here is the idea.
    I have a couple of DefTech ProSub 100's around. They sound HORRIBLE. And I do mean it.
    I was thinking going the DIY route, but I fear the drivers' are crap. So I'll only be saving the spikes and the on-board amplifiers.
    This is what I have to start:
    1. A pair of 125-watt amplifiers, with variable crossovers.[/list=1]
      This is what I'd like to accomplish:
      1. Seamless integration with a 6 channel speaker set made up of Promonitor 80 speakers, which have 4" mid.bass cones.
      2. The system will be installed in my living room. It'll be exclusively used for DVD-A.
      3. The speakers will be powered by a 100 watt receiver. Nothing fancy, probably a Yamaha with ProLogic II and DTS Neo.[/list=1]
        This is how I intend to do it:
        1. I wouldn't mind either a 2 or a 1 driver system. I have two amps to power it, though, so I think if I go the 1 driver route I'll need a multi-tap driver.
        2. I really don't mind physical size. The sub will be hidden in the bar of my house, so it can be as big as needed.
        3. I don't mind the size of the drivers.
        4. I'm looking for the highest efficiency I can get, though I'd prefer a sealed over a ported design.
        5. I thought a lot about a sonotube design, but it'd be far easier to me to build a boxed design. And it'll look completely integrated with my bar, too!
        I know what I want, but I don't have a clue! Worst of all, I live in Mexico, so I'll have to buy the driver in the States, and either have it shipped or send it to my sister, who lives in NJ, and pick it up later.
        I'd be very glad for any help or pointers you can give me in building this beast. I want the best low-end performance I can get, so I don't mind buying a huge driver, or having to build a huge box. Consider, though, I only have 250 watts of RMS power to do it. Is it an impossible task? As long as it sounds terrific, I'll build it. There is no WAF involved (yet), so I intend to use this as an advantage.
        Thanks for any help you can give me!
        Javier. [​IMG]

2. ChristopherD

ChristopherD Stunt Coordinator

Check out the Adire Audio website. The Tempest designs are very popular and meet your criteria. That driver also has dual voice coils for your amps. Best of all there are oodles of knowledgeable people here that have built it and can help you with virtually any question. I however am not one of them.:b
    Good luck!

3. Javier_Huerta

I'm checking the Tempest. Looks GREAT! Any info on the performance of this sub?

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Before you go to far you need to find out if the amps have built-in EQ specific to the Def-Tech woofers.

5. Javier_Huerta

Thomas, how could I find about this? I definitely don't think they have any specific EQ for them, since they are already as bare-bones as you can imagine. I would suspect in board EQ is used for better or servo controlled subs...

Also, if I build my own sub to the specs on Adire's web site (which call for a tremendous 34 x 24 x 24 inch box), will I really have better performance than in a pre-built sub?

6. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

7. Javier_Huerta

Uh...I have e-mailed Definitive Technology in the past. Other than "bipolar is the best" kind of statements, I haven't heard anything remotely useful from them (I remember when I asked them about using an extra pair of bipolar speakers as rear surrounds... hilarity ensued for 3 or 4 mails afterwards. They didn't have a clue about what I was talking about).

I have seen the Adire web site. It's paradise by the dashboard light. Will 250 W RMS be enough for a big sealed sub? I'm thinking I could build it as part of the furniture, conceal it perfectly, and have a tremendous sub for a very decent price.

8. Javier_Huerta

I just bit my tongue. And it seems I now need to buy an amplifier, too!

9. Javier_Huerta

OK, so now I am almost decided on buying a plate amp and the Tempest / DVC 15 sub. I'll be spending about $250. Not bad at all! Is the DVC the same sub as the Tempest, BTW?
    Does anyone have some tips or pointers as to the basics of DIY? For example, if I want the highest sensitivity, how should I start designing the thing? Building tips? Can the plate amp be mounted on the cabinet with no adverse effects?
    I'm a complete newbie, and I don't want to be much of a bother, but I'd really like to get this right the first time [​IMG]
    TIA!

10. Javier_Huerta

So...
    I just bought the following parts:
    1) 250W plate amp.
    2) Tempest sub.
    2) 2 3" flared ports.
    Yeah! I'm going with the Adire Vented Alignment 214L design. This thing will kick some serious behind! I'm pretty excited about the project, to be used in a HT. I decided I really don't need that much power in my music room (my speakers don't go *that* loud), so I'll start by designing a tremendous HT subwoofer.
    Wish my luck [​IMG]