What's new

"I Am Legend" (1 Viewer)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
At a recent press junket, to promote his new film "Ali", Will Smith confirmed that he is looking at starring in WB's action/horror "I Am Legend". The film focuses on the last man on Earth who has to deal with a planet filled with blood-thirsty vampires. The film would reunite Smith with his "Bad Boys" director Michael Bay.

Bay, coming off the box office success (but critically lambasted) "Pearl Harbor", is said to be very anxious to do a non-Disney film. His last three movies were all produced by Disney ("The Rock", "Armageddon", and "Pearl Harbor"). Apparently, there is a lot of bad blood between Bay and some of the execs (namely Michael Eisner) at the house that Walt built.

"I Am Legend" had been languishing in development hell for years. At one time it was to star Arnold Schwartzenegger, with director Ridley Scott at the helm. Apparently, WB shelved it because Scott couldn't bring the budget down to under $100 million. With Bay now attached, I'll be surprised if it only costs them $100 million.

Despite the fact that critics love to hate his movies, Bay has yet to direct a box office dud. "Pearl Harbor" has earned over $450 million worldwide thus far, despite many critics labeling it as one of the year's worst movies.

If all goes well (in terms of the contract signings), expect this one to go before cameras either this spring or sometime next summer. Add this one to the growing list of potential 2003 releases.

Personally, I'm hoping that WB nabs Rick Baker for the makeup FX for the film's vampires. Now that would be cool.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I was lucky enough to get my hands on the script of I Am Legend about 5 years ago, and it is one of the best screenplays I have ever read.
It is written by Mark Protosevich dated November 6, 1996, and is based on the novel of the same name by Richard Matheson. It's already been filmed twice, the first time as The Last Man On Earth with Vincent Price and of course The Omega Man with Charlton Heston.
When I originally read this script, I was amazed at how much action and emotion it contained. It was a very deep story, written beautifully. You were made to care about the characters and what happened to them.
I was saddened when it was put into turnaround because of the skyrocketing budget, but was glad that Arnold would not be playing the part of Robert Neville since he was completely wrong for the role. Although Will Smith is not that much better.
This news is welcome as I would love to see this get made. The choice of Bay as director is a good one, imo, since it contains much action. Hopefully he can handle the subtler scenes of emotional depth....?
I cannot stress again how much I loved reading this script, It's next to me as I type and I plan on reading it again soon.
If the film turns out to be half as good as the screenplay, it will be one of the best films of the year.
Here's to hoping it gets made and is one of Bays better efforts.:)

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
That's good to hear. I hope Bay gives as much emphasis to the plot as he does the action, because "Pearl Harbor" was one big missed opportunity. I had heard that the script for "I Am Legend" was really good and I'm glad that the movie is finally getting made.

And you're right, in Bay's hands the action scenes, at least, will be top notch. The one thing Bay is consistant with is producing really well done action sequences.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
This might be Michael Bay's next fiasco...sorry, movie? I think that is fine news, as it will keep him busy enough for a while to prevent him from screwing up the remake of a better title.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
Man, this sucks. For a better read than Protosevich's screenplay, try reading the original novel (actually novella) by Richard Matheson.
get the book
The screenplay, while read on its own, does seem ok at first, but not if you've read the novel. I was hoping they'd throw out Protosevich's screenplay and go with a new one more closely based on the novel.
And now the thought of Michael Bay and Will Smith being involved makes me want to puke.
If anyone wants to read the screenplay for themselves, you can view it here:Link Removed

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I don't know if I want to see Bay direct this. I really enjoyed the novel when I first read it several years ago and have been wishing for a more faithful film adaptation. I just don't think Bay and his glossy pyrotechnics are suited for this kind of story as the novel wasn't exactly an action-fest. Guess we'll have to wait and see but I'm not expecting much...

MikeCD

Stunt Coordinator
George A. Romero has said that NOTLD was based on "I Am Legend". And we might even see a 4th Dead film, too.

Everlasting Gobstopper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mark
I read the screenplay way back when, and I was quite impressed with it... that is until I read the novel. Now the screenplay seems like they took a dark, brooding novel and turned it into a action shoot-em-up, which is exactly what the novel isn't. And now, with Michael Bay set to direct, I suppose that's what we'll get.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks