What's new

I am close to on getting the Denon 1600 any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Well the time is finally here after a total basement remodel I have the go ahead for the HT system, YES!
This is my first system and have learned a termendous amount in the last few weeks. But anyway I leaning towards the Denon DVD 1600 is this player the right choice or is there some other one that doesn't have the chroma bug I should consider?
If interested here is the rest of the gear-I think I have erything nailed down to the following
57hdx82 Toshiba -just ordered today!
Denon 3803
SVS 20 39pci subwoofer-thanks to everyone here!
B&W 600 Series 3 series (603-Fronts not sure yet-rears and LCR 60 -center) wanted the CDM NT but something had to give and will upgrade in the Spring.
Thanks in advance! I can tell this is going to turn into a life long financial burden ;)

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
Consider the RP82 too. The Denon 1600, from what I've read, is a terrific DVD player. It's CD & DVD-Audio playback is supposed to be better than the RP82's. I still couldn't justify the extra cost, so I got the RP82.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, the '1600 is a very good player both in terms of audio and video. My only issues with it is that build quality is lacking for the money and it lacks a coaxial digital output. I feel a $500 player should have a coaxial digital output. Still, the '1600 is a solid performer.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I saw a Denon 1600 play ICE AGE on a 50" XBR Grand Wega HDTV the other day and the picture was stunning!

I made sure to bend down and look at the dvd player they were using...yep it was the Denon 1600.

Bryan Guth

Agent
I would go with the Panasonic, and save $300! At this time of year, that can go a long way towards buying gifts for others or, if you're so inclined, expanding your DVD collection or perhaps upgrading to better cables. I doubt you'd be disappointed with either machine, but the extra cost for the Denon is simply not justified, IMHO. Best of luck with your new HT! You will quickly become engrossed in the joys (and pains) of creating your own dynamic space for enjoying movies and music.

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much with our opinions! I read through the Panasonic review and it was I must say very encouraging! Is there any thing to be said about having the same DVD as receiver- remote compatibility etc? I think after all my review I am now leaning towards the Panasonic this is an on-line source only correct?

Oh yes. You bring coax. May be a stupid question but why is this more desirable than optical?

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I prefer a coaxial digital connection to an optical digital connection because I feel the former is more robust. I have used both connections, and they both function very well, but I now use coaxial digital cables exclusively.

Regarding the 'RP82, note that there have been recent discussions about problems playing surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks from recent Warner discs on this player. Do a search for more information.

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Jeff,

I've had both in my system. The 1600 IMHO is the better all around player. IF you want CD Redbook/DVD-A playback plus DVD video, then the 1600 may be the way to go.

The RP-82 IMHO is equal or better then the 1600 by a small margin IN PQ DISPLAY. I liked the 1600's PQ too, but for the cost, the RP-82 is a steal at around $200-$215.

CD/DVD-A playback is not in the same league as the 1600. For my ears, the RP-82 does not have a warm sound, but is rather electronic/brittle at times.

The question is does the extra $300 cost make it worthwhile? Personally, I have a dedicated CD player so it was not an issue. I bought the RP-82.

However, if I needed a dedicated player for both types of playback, the 1600 is the choice I would have made.

Please take note as Keith has written, "My only issues with it is that build quality is lacking for the money and it lacks a coaxial digital output."

I agree with Keith's comment.

Try um both in your system and let us know what your thoughts are. Much Luck

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
I own the Denon 1600, I paid $400 brand new from J&R when it first came out, in store.
here is a review of the unit Link Removed
I bought this unit because my panasonic rp56 just melted. It had a great picture, but its build quality was really subpar...
I agree that the denon is not built like a tank, but I think its much better than the cheaper panasonics. Even the rp91 feels a little flimsy, and that dvd player can be considered "venerable".
V

jeff_coil

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks so much for the input! I have the panny coming and a 1600 loaner... Can't wait to test side by side! I will let you know what I think could be interesting because I have no prior bias’s

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
One thing to remember, if you use the digital audio output, the sound will be exactly the same between the RP82 and the 1600. You have to use analog to hear the difference.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Gabriel, not necessarily. Not all components sound the same when used as transports. I can't say if there will be a difference between the 'RP82 and '1600 in Jeff's system, but it is possible.

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Jeff,
I have a Denon 1600 and agree with Keith H And Chas-T's assessment of this player. The 1600 is a better ALL-ROUND player than the RP-82 from what I've noticed. DVD-A and CD playback were important to me so I went with the Burr-Brown based Denon. I now have nearly 30 DVD-A discs, and at the time I purchased the 1600 I was stepping up from a mediocre DVD-A player, the JVC 721BK, and wanted to make sure I had a player with very good playback this time around, hence my decision to go with the Denon 1600 over the RP-82. Besides, like you, I also have a Denon receiver and they look nice on my rack together. :)
Reg

Gabriel_Lam

Screenwriter
KeithH: fair enough. However, Stacey Spears (of Home Theater Hifi fame) did compare the RP82/1600 and that was his statement as well.

JamesY

Stunt Coordinator
My friend has a rp82, and I have a 1600. We both did A+B tests at my place, and I must admit that the video quality was very similar, hardly discernable. They were blind tests, and our results were inconsistent - we both favored each model's picture with different DVD's.

However, the audio side was really where the 1600 shines - both redbook CD and DVD-A was consistently better in all the tests. The most surprising part was how good the redbook sounded - it was more warm and detailed when compared to the rp82. The DVD-A sounded better too, but I don't have enough titles to take advantage of it yet.

So, biases aside, both of us are happy with our purchases - my friend wanted a player mainly for video, and I think the rp82 provides the best PQ bang for the buck.

As for my choice, I believe the $250 extra I paid was worth it for the audio improvement, especially with my CD collection, since my existing CD player was an old cheap Aiwa. However, 3 months later I bought an SCD-555ES, so I no longer use the 1600 for playing CD's, but the quality DVD-A playback is always there when more titles I like come out. I've obviously invested more in SACD now, but I feel the 1600's DVD-A quality is the best bang for it's buck in it's price range (better than the rp91's DVD-A IMHO).

Also, as for build quality, neither machine is that great, but I believe that the 1600's build both looks and feels better than the rp82. On a side note, I also went with the 1600 because from my experience Denon's had great track record with audio hardware as opposed to Panasonic - my $.02, hopes some of this helps.

P.S. - Oh, here's the hardware we did the tests on (haven't updated my site yet): Panny L701 XGA FPJ with a BC Silver Serpent Component to VGA cable, and Paradigm Studio 60/CC/ADPs hooked up to a Denon 3802.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I prefer a coaxial digital connection to an optical digital connection because I feel the former is more robust. I have used both connections, and they both function very well, but I now use coaxial digital cables exclusively.

Regarding the 'RP82, note that there have been recent discussions about problems playing surround-sound DVD-Audio tracks from recent Warner discs on this player. Do a search for more information.
Keith, I used to share the same feelings. However, I just switched over from using a digital coax cable on one DVD player to the optical cable on another. In my experience, the sound while using the optical cable was better. Granted, this is just based on my own experience. However, I was quite paranoid about going to a DVD player with only an optical digital output. However, now that things are set as they are, I couldn't be happier.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wayne, interesting observation. Many audiophiles say just the opposite -- coaxial sounds better than optical. That presumably is a major reason why high-end components have a coaxial and optical connection or just a coaxial connection. It is rare to see a high-end component with just an optical connection. Anyway, what cables did you use for the coaxial and optical connections? Could it just be that the optical cable is better? That, of course, is what makes it difficult to compare the two connections. One cable may simpler be better than the other, and the results may not translate to which connection is inherently better. Determining which is inherently better is difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks