Looking to buy a sub/SVS.....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Mark Danner, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Mark Danner

Mark Danner Stunt Coordinator

Yes, yes I know...another SVS thread. I am looking to buy a sub soon. Before I get to the question here is my current setup. Denon 3802, B&W 603's, LCR 600, and 601's. The room is approx 20'W x 15'D x 9'H. It is not a closed room though. About 2/3 of the back is an open staircase going to the second level and also a hallway leading to the kitchen. The system is used for probably 40% movies, 40% x-box games, 20% music. The area that I have picked out for the sub is the front right corner. I have about 40" from the front wall to the side of the couch and 32" from the side wall to flush with the front of the couch. So basically 40" x 32". The front wall has a window that will be right next to the sub. I think the window is about 25" off the ground. The side wall is a solid wall. HAHA probably TMI but I figured that I would try not to leave out any details.

On to the questions. I am heavily leaning towards the PB12-ISD/2. Thats the very top of my budget and I want a box not a cylinder. It thought about the PB12-ISD but when looking at the charts it really doesnt seem to offer a whole lot more than the PB10-ISD. Would either of these smaller subs fill my room or is the PB12-ISD/2 the right choice for my room? I usually listen to movies at around -20 to -15 range. I calbrated everything to 0 with the Radio Shack meter and DVE. One last question...If I set my 603's to small and then want to listen to a cd in stereo does the sub still work or do my speakers automatically get switched back to large and no sub? Is 40"x32" enough for the PB12-ISD/2? Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help!

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Let’s do a little comparative calculating.

My family room has a cathedral ceiling, and on top of that is wide open to the kitchen, dining room, etc. My total room volume is 6200 cu. ft. I’m “subing” my room with a pair of 12” Shivas in undersized boxes that require considerable EQ boost to get down to 25 Hz, powered with 325 watts each. The penalty of the EQ boost is reduced headroom, yet my subs do fine for probably 98% of everything I’ve ever fed them. It’s pretty rare that an action flick overdrives them and makes the amp clip, and I like to play them pretty loud.

By comparison, your room is 2700 cu. ft., 1/2 the size of mine, less another 400 cu. ft., and with only a couple of smallish openings. Unlike my poorly implemented subs, the PB12 is designed to get down to 20 Hz without the headroom penalties equalizing brings.

Bottom line, I’d be surprised if the PB12-ISD didn’t do everything you need.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Mark Danner

Thanks Wayne. Would you say that the PB12-ISD/2 is pretty heavy overkill for my room? Also, I am always of the "more is better" school of thought. Would the PB12-ISD be considered more than enough for my room or is it at the limits for that sub? Basically what I am looking for is a sub that enhances music nicely but I also like bass that you can feel in your chest when watching action flicks. Does the PB12-ISD fit that description? If so thanks for saving me $300!

4. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

I'll ask this question and let Wayne follow up for you Mark.

Is your main seating close to a boundary or maybe better put, wall?

5. Mark Danner

My main seating area is right against the open stair case going up to the next level. So its not really a wall.

Wayne, if I save the money by going with the smaller sub would you recommend one of those Behringer Feedback Destroyer's? Do these things basically customize the sub to the room?

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hmm. That’s an interesting way to put it, but yes, that’s essentially correct.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Mark Danner

Thanks again Wayne. After talking to SVS (I think his name was Eric) I ordered the PB12-ISD/2. I gave him my room dimensions and he said that he thinks the PB12-ISD would be pushed pretty hard in my room at -15. I will let everyone know my impressions when I get it. I cant wait! Now the wife, she is not so excited....especially when I told her how big it is. hehe [​IMG]
    I am holding off on the BFD. I will see how the sub performs without it first and take it from there.

8. Eric Ha

Eric Ha Stunt Coordinator

Congratulations Mark on your purchase. As someone with a PB12+/2, I know that you will be floored with the output and quality of your sub! Long term though, I definately recommend a parametric eq. Until you get a reasonably flat frequency response from your sub, you're not hearing what you should be hearing, or your hearing too much of something you're not supposed to! I found that I had certain frequencies that were louder than others. When I flattened out the response, I could raise all frequencies to my preferred level, not just the loudest ones.