Denon or Marantz upgrade for B&W 600 S3 system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by NickYours, Jan 14, 2005.

1. NickYours

NickYours Auditioning

Hey all, first post here. Great forum from what I've seen so far. Just about to jump into my first HT setup.

Anyway, I have a question about driving a B&W 600 S3 series setup. (Don't have them yet, but will be getting them soon, while at the same time purchasing a reciever too.)

Here is the question. I have been auditioning speakers for a while and have settled on the B&W 603 fronts, LCR 600 center, ASW600 sub, and 601 surrounds for a 5.1 setup. Like the sound and the price point (want floor stander fronts).

I had also auditioned receivers and had settled on the Denon AVR-2105. However, the dealer that has the B&W's carries Marantz, and said that Marantz has better sound quality sound than Denon. Only problem is the Marantz SR-5500 only has two component inputs, while the Denon has three, which I need. Both are $600. So is it worth the jump to the Marantz SR-7500 for $1000 to get the Marantz sound with the inputs I need, or do I stick with the Denon AVR-2105 at $600? Feature wise, they both have everything I need (video-up conversion, auto setup/eq, 3+ component inputs). So it comes down to sound and price really, but I can't directly compare them because the B&W dealer doesn't have Denon.

Will listen to 60/40 tv & movies/ music, but I am more concerned with musical performance.

Thanks for the thoughts!

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with your dealer (though he is obviously biased to what he sells). I would (and did) choose Marantz over Denon. In reality, I would go with the 7500 because it has a better power supply than the 2105 and because (IMO) it will sound better with music, not because of the connections. At the $1K point though, you can also pick up the 3805 online, if you like the Denon.

3. Ricky c

Ricky c Stunt Coordinator

Marantz 7500 definately.Rotel rsx1056 even better.I have the rotel w/603s3/lcr600 and it sounds great.Not that it wont w/marantz just an opinion.

4. TylerZ

TylerZ Stunt Coordinator

If you're thinking of increasing your budget to include the 7500 then do yourself a favor and check out the Rotel for another $300. I think you will be impressed. I'd like to get the 1056 myself if I can ever talk the wife into it ($$). Audio Emporium in Brown Deer carries the Rotel line.

Web Site: www.audioemporium.com

5. NickYours

NickYours Auditioning

I looked at the Rotel specs, but I opted not to audition it because I wanted the built in 7.1 powered channels without have to add an external amp, plus it the Marantz was 300 cheaper and buying the whole package at once was already giving my wife (and me) sticker shock. So no buyer's remorse by saying, "Man I wish I would have bought the Rotel!"

So I ended up with the LCR 600, 603 fronts, 600 surrounds, and the 7500. Got all the cable run and installed yesterday and began breaking it in. Somehow the remote/receiver figured out what TV I had without even programming any codes into it. Wow! Can't wait to get home tonight after work to play some more.

Thanks for all the advice. Oh, and Audioemporium was where I was looking, and ended up purchasing the gear. The owner Dave is a great guy. Recommend them to anyone.

6. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

You made a good choice!

7. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yep, sounds like a nice setup.