What's new

Hydrosonic subwoofer??? (1 Viewer)

Michael.Cu

Agent
I'm just curious as to how much effect only 4 gallons of water would have---assuming it even works in the first place. I don't think skeptical is a strong enough word:p)

Nathan J

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds like a whole lot of Bull S__T to me.

First its Hydrosonic, then infrasonic..blah blah.

What good would water do in a subwoofer anyways? And how do they seal it? How does the bass couple with the water to make sound(or vibrations?)

99% guarantee its a marketing gimmick. That or just a plain old rip off. I may not know every part of HT inside and out, but I know subs and bass pretty well, both for HT and for car audio, and I have never heard of any of this kind of crap.

If I happen to be wrong on this, I apologize....but somehow, I don't see that happening. :)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Woah....

If you coupled this with Video Stage-5 the output would be
out of this world.... Nothing could compete not even the
mighty Gnat Fart!:D

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
HomeTheaterMag did a review about 6 years ago on a water filled "sub" - it made almost no sound at all, but could do 5-20hz with some pretty impressive authority - according to the review. This is not that sub.

It was about 20x20x48.

Miklsan K

Agent
I too, am skeptical, but SRT actually does have a good name in professional sound reinforcement. They supply subwoofers to many theaters and theme parks. They must have something on the ball. This model looks like a smaller home unit, but I have seen some of their professional stuff, and those are pretty massive. Anybody heard one?

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
That is True, that they are used and respected in the commercial world. Looks like they are trying to move into some consumer based products.

Here is info on their commercial subs
--->HS-line

They make the single 8" in the Ebay ad, also a single 10" for home use. Interesting concept is all I'll say....

John H

Second Unit
HomeTheaterMag did a review about 6 years ago on a water filled "sub" - it made almost no sound at all, but could do 5-20hz with some pretty impressive authority - according to the review. This is not that sub.

It was about 20x20x48.
I just pulled the magazine from my archives. :)

It is the September 1997 issue, page 66. The subwoofer reviewed is Sound Related Technologies IBS-10

It does not list a specification chart but says it has two 10" drivers inside a 36.5 by 17 by 17 inch enclosure. Each of the 10" divers is coupled against two vinyl bladders. The first contains air and the second contains a substantial amount of water. It weighs 172 lbs.

Below are a few quotes from the review article.

"According to SRT, the reason they've chosen to implant water bladders in their subs is that low frequencies travel faster through liquids, and thus a speaker that uses water as a medium to transmit energy will be able to do so more efficiently. If this sounds a bit unconventional to you understand that the intension here is more tactile than audiophile. What SRT is most interested in exploiting frequencies around 20Hz and below.

The IBS-10 was able to generate wildly tactile bass output...

It's dramatic enough to make you question the structural integrity of the space your sitting in.

...you'll be in for a thrill ride.

I say get a pair of Buttkickers!

John

greg baker

Stunt Coordinator
I think I have a toothbrush that is like this sub. It is ultrasonic,infrasonic, and it may quite possibly be subsonic. It sounds great in the Pod race scene, the toothbrush that is. It sounds like a marketing ploy. I wonder how it would sound loaded with milk :D :D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The amp looks like the generic Parts express amp and remote #300-793. The box looks home built and spray painted black for the small 8" driver.

All the jargon in the description says is that there is a box with a tank of water on the inside. I highly doubt the woofer touches the water as much as I doubt the water tank helps reduce distortion.

I suppose that I could put a sealed thermos of water inside my subwoofer and call it a hydrodynamic voice coil transducer, but I'd rather not make chump change deceiving people.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I was thinking about this during the day and it actualy
does make sense sort of.

As a "Tactile" Transducer it's primary function is to create
tactile movement not sound. The Sub Woofer is enclosed in
a chamber with an aperidic vent that transfers the air
pressure changes to movement in water. If you get 4 gallon
of water vibrating and it's coupled to the floor via spikes
this thing should be able to shake the surroundings good.

Of course you still need a subwoofer to provide "sound"
since all this is doing is creating movement of objects
not air..

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
According to this graph from their website, it does more than just the extreme lows

Here's an excerpt from the website on the graph:

These measurements were taken by SRT at a local retail home theater outlet using the LMS software. The dotted line represents a 15 inch "servo driven subwoofer". The straight line represents the SRT IBS 10. The servo driven subwoofer uses electronic compensation and mechanical drive linkages to compensate for low frequency "drop off". SRT's IBS-10 was powered from a conventional source amplifier with no other compensation. The input signal was the same for both

MikeCooper

Grip
Whoa, I don't know what to think of this concept..

The graph for the IBS 10 looks impressive, that is if it's real.

One thing about it though, I love how different it is!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks