IBS-12s Hydrosonic subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JohnRuggiero, Jul 16, 2003.

1. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

I got the IBS-12 subwoofer by Sound Related Technologies.
    What makes it different is that it contains 2 vinyl water bladders. All I can say is WOW. I have never experianced anything like this and I had a SVS 16-46PC for 2 years. My SVS was wonderful but nothing compared to this. With my SVS I felt the vibrations on the floor and under the chair, now with the IBS-12 subwoofer I am feeling in my Chest. It feels like the bass is going thru my body. I had my receiver (B&K AVR 507) at -10 and my sound meter was still hitting 104 with the bass. It feel the bass in my gut now. I was watching U-571 and I felt there was a zone of bass right around my head. I feel my leather chair vibrating under my legs, my arms, legs and chest felt like they were vibrating with each debt charge explosion. For music it is even more amazing. The bass response is so much quicker with the IBS-12. With my SVS I had my subwoofer set at +6.5 with a 3db bass boast and the volume on the SVS set around 2 o clock and would get around 107-110 on my SPL meter with the receiver set around +3. With the IBS-12 I have my bass set at -6 and the volume on the subwoofer at 10 o clock and I am hitting
    110-118 with my volume at 0.0. All I can say is that the bass is much more fuller then I had before, its like a whole new level that I have never before experianced. Now I feel the vibrations are going thru me instead of just under me. thanks JOhn
    [​IMG]

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

H2 Oh... [​IMG]

3. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Are these the ones that were sold at Ebay and the subject of a thread here a few weeks ago. You do make them sound pretty spectacular. If I might ask, how much do they cost? How defined is the bass? How low do they go?

4. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Do you have access for an RTA to measure a frequency response at you seating position?
    That is the only way to objectively compare subs.

5. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Hi John

I think you have a good reference for some type of good quality bass with previously running an SVS for 2 years. Your comments are very interesting with your new water/woofer sub.

Lewis is right, that although the bass you seem to be experiencing NOW with this new sub, seems like a real WOW from your post, in order to really see what is happing you need to measure with some type of real RTA.

Even a test disc with sines to at least 20Hz and the ole spl meter "spl figures corrected" would be better than, just the current spl figures on movie material.
    Ideally taken from both in front of the actual sub and also the listening position.
    No distortion figures this way, but at least the extension of the sub could be tested.

Many of us from the old school are leary of new things till proven with real data from the likes of Tom N., etc in a controlled environment with high quality measuring test gear

Now that someone actually has one and (seems to be very impressed with it),
    I'm sure many question are to follow from other curious bass heads.

I believe I may have bee the first, or one of the first to post about these commercial subs, now being sized down and introduced to the Consumer Home Theater Market.
    This was last year I believe, I was and still am curious about them. Even "more so now" that John has one.

Glad your pleased and certainly sounds like your very impressed so far!
    In the end, thats all that is really important![​IMG]
    ======>
    John, how big is the HT room your filling??????
    ======>

Regards
    Geoff

6. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

my room is 24 x 24 with opening to the kitchen. So the room is pretty big. the rest my set up is a b&K AVR 507
    4 Axiom M80ti's (2 front , 2 rear) VP-150 and a pair of QS8 for the side surrounds.

7. JohnRuggiero

JohnRuggiero Agent

some quick measurements at 25 hz the SPL meter read 105 at 20 hz it read 91 at 15 hz it read 81. I will try the same thing with my old SVS 16-46 after I get home tonight.