What's new

Hurricane Ivan (2 Viewers)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
9th lowest pressure on record:

As of 8 AM EDT, the central pressure in Ivan was down to 919 millibars or 27.14 inches for a time, as recorded by reconnaissance aircraft, then came back up to 921 millibars (27.20 inches). The 919 millibar central pressure ties with the 9th lowest central pressure ever found in an Atlantic basin hurricane;

To follow up on Eric's request, it would be very impressive to see a radar loop of the Atlantic Basin for the past month+ as all these storms developed and barreled through.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The NHC doesn't release a summary of storm tracks until after the season ends November 30.

But to date, Ivan is following very closely in Charley's footsteps. One of my local weather stations has a tracker with all the recent storms (but I can't figure out how to link it). Ivan and Charley overlap each other exactly so far, though the NHC forecast keeps moving Ivan east, so now it's running right up the peninsula per Rob's graphic above.

Joe Bastardi at Accuweather.com predicted on Tuesday that Ivan would strengthen to a C5 with a pressure of 920 mb. Hopefully his analysis wasn't too conservative. :eek:

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Except notice that Charley wasn't a Cat 4 storm till it almost got to land... this sucker aleady is a Cat 5! Cuba looks like it's getting off the worst in this... it's gonna go right through Havana once again

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Morning Edition, this morning said that 90% of the homes on Jamaica had either been destroyed or damaged.

James St

Supporting Actor

They must have really jumped the gun on this story since Ivan hasn't hit Jamaica yet. ;) Did you mean Grenada?

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
The correct answer is....

Grenada.

The track projection keeps shifting at every update, and right now it's back on a Charley-like Florida landfall, although it's aiming at a wider section of Cuba.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Grenada-

It's not looking so good.

If I were in Jamaica, I'd find a good hole near the top of a hill, on the leeward side.

Am I the first? Let's call it "Ivan the Terrible."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks