What's new

What were your top ten Lassie episodes? (1 Viewer)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I loved this show as a kid and still like it today, even though I has to get this show from "Another Source". (If the entire series came out on DVD I'd buy it in a heartbeat). Here are my top ten Episodes, counting down from ten to one:

10. Bird of Prey (Season 8) - Timmy and lassie find a Falcon that had blundered into a trap. His Cousin, a Cadet at the Air Force Academy teaches Timmy the sport of Falconry. When he is informed he cannot keep the bird he donates it to the Air Force Academy who adopt it as their mascot. You get to see the Air Force Academy in the second half of this episode.

9. Transition (Season 4) - This is the final episode where you see Jeff Tommy Rettig) The episode begins with a funeral reception for Gramps (The Actor who played Gramps (George Cleveland) passed away midway through the filming of this season). Jeff's Mother Sells the Farm to a Childless Couple, who adopts Timmy as their own son. Jeff and his mother move to a city.

8. The Waif (Season 4) - This is the first episode with Timmy (Jon Provost). Who had ran away from a bad foster Home.

7. The Holocaust (Season 15) - Cory Stewart is seriously injured fighting a wildfire. Lassie is given to two other rangers, Bob Erikson and Scott Turner. In the next episode we meet Bob's adopted son, a Tlingit Indian named Neeka.

6. The Odyssey - (Season 8) This was the first of several "Experimental" Episodes that were used to become Lassie's new owner (Timmy was growing up and the producers knew he'd soon want to leave the series. Feedback from viewers would determine who'd become Lassies new owner).
Paul takes Timmy to a Market to show him where he takes his crops to be sold. Lassie gets locked in a truck, she gets out of the truck hundreds of miles from home and has to make her way back to Timmy.

5. The Voyager (Season 13) - Separated from Cory, who was in Florida for a project when a Hurricane hits. This was Lassie's LONGEST episode, which stretched over a period of seven weeks. Lassie travels from Florida to Williamsburg, Virginia, then on to the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina, then on to the Mississippi River, finally reunited with Cory. Richard Kiel ("Jaws" in the James Bond Movies For Your Eyes Only & Moonraker, makes an appearance in this episode.

4. The Wayfarers (Season 11) - The last of the Timmy episodes. Timmy's father, Paul Martin gets a business opportunity in Australia. Unfortunately it turns out that Australia had a super strict quarantine regarding the import of live animals. Timmy gives Lassie to a Neighbor, Cully Wilson before he and his parents move to Ozzy-Land. When Cully has a heart attack, his dog, a Yorkshire named Silky, runs away to seek his master. Lassie joins him and gets Silky through a series of Misadventures. Ranger Cory Stewart arrives to visit the Martins, only to discover they had moved. He finds the two dogs and returns to Cully's home. Cully gives Lassie to Cory, and the "Ranger Years' begin.

3 The Journey (Season 9) - This was the first episode shot in color. It was also another of the "Experimental" episodes mentioned earlier. When a Barnstormer arrives in a balloon, Timmy helps him secure the balloon. When a storm occurs, Timmy tries to tie it down further, only to fall in the balloon and get knocked out. Lassie jumps in the balloon. They are carried into the Canadian wilderness. Richard Kiel makes an appearance in this episode.

2. The Disappearance (Season 10) - While on Vacation, Timmy and his father rent a boat and go fishing. A sudden storm hits and the boat capsizes, tossing them all in the lake. Timmy and his dad make it to shore, only to find Lassie has parted from them. She is rescued by Forest Ranger Cory Stewart. She assists Cory on his missions before finally returning her to Timmy. This episode, another of the "Experimental" episodes, got the best feedback from its viewers, sealing the dawg's fate the next season.

Trivia: In part two of this episode Timmy and his dad hire a pilot to take them up in his plane in an attempt to find Lassie. When you see the Far Shots of the plane take a look at the logo on the side of the plane. Look Familiar? Yup, its the plane used in Ivan Tor's Ripcord.

And now for my all-time favorite, Peace is our Profession. (Season 18) Garth Holden takes Lassie on a Tour of several Air Force Bases, including Vandenberg Air Force Base (Lassie rescues a Snow Goose and her Eggs she laid at a Missile Silo where a test firing of a Minuteman missle is about to be occur. At Offut lassie befriends a Diabetic Poodle who stows away in the Strategic Air Command's "Looking Glass" Airborne Command Post. Later she will travel on to March Air Force Base, where she befriends a Boy who is depressed because he has a disability that will prevent him from becoming an Air Force Pilot.

That's my favorites, Post away, my friends.

cwilli

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Cheryl Williams
I've got all the box sets that have been issued so far. I'm waiting for that big announcement for season sets with plenty of extras a la Twilight Zone. I don't know if I could think of ten. But the Journey is my all time favorite. I believe that was a two part episode and was the most popular episode of the series. The balloon ride reminded me of the Wizard of Oz. Timmy gets rescued by a giant Indian which creeped me out at first. But it ends well. I also liked the rocking chair episode where Lassie refuses to get out of the chair because she's emotionally attached to it. When the chair is given to an old friend Lassie pulls the chair which seems like miles back to the Martin residence. Another favorite is the Christmas episode with the old man who carves toys and rides in a sleigh to deliver them. The boy in the story lost his dog through death and receives a big surprise on Christmas day. Lassie was a show that ran for years and people never seemed to tire of it.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
Looking upon data fromhttp://lassieweb.org and comparing it to my collection I've compiled a list of Lassie's longest episodes. Here's my list

1 The Voyager (Season 13) and The Saga of Lassies Puppies. (Season 18). - Seven parts each.
Note Each chapter of "The Saga of Lassies Puppies has it's own individual names, but since each episode is "Serialized" I consider them as one long episode.

2. The Journey (Season 9) & The Disappearance - Five parts each.

3. The Road Back (Season 16) & Peace is our Profession (Season 18) - Four parts each

4. The Odyssey (Season 8), The Wayfarers (Season 11)Hanford's Point. (Season 14) and A Joyous Sound (Season 19) - Three parts each

5. The following episodes are two parts each.

Lassie's Gift of love (Season 10)

Lassie & The Fugitive (Season 11)

Look homeward Lassie (Season 11)

Rim of Disaster (Season 14)

The Holocaust (Season 15)

What Price Glory (Season 15)

Track of the Jaguar (Season 16)

Tempest (Season 16)

Here Comes Glory (Season 16)

For the Love of Lassie (Season 17)

Day of Disaster (Season 18)

Mustang (Season 18)

Paths of Courage (Season 18)

A Girl and a Boy (Season 19)

Road to Nowhere (Season) 19

There is no need the remaining 521 Episodes, they are 1 part each. :biggrin: :laugh: :rolling-smiley:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I think there are many more multi-parters, especially in the later years, but they are easily hidden because they don't carry over the titles across the episodes. I can reference three more in the first half of season 14 alone, but only because my daughter and i are currently watching that particuar season right now (3 episodes a week before bed). How many more in the series I can't really say.

From season 14:

(3 parter)
Cry of the WildThe GuardianStarfire

(2 parter)
The HomelessA Time for Decision

(4 parter)
Ride the MountainDangerous JourneyFury at Wind RiverShowdown

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
smithbrad said:
I think there are many more multi-parters, especially in the later years, but they are easily hidden because they don't carry over the titles across the episodes. I can reference three more in the first half of season 14 alone, but only because my daughter and i are currently watching that particuar season right now (3 episodes a week before bed). How many more in the series I can't really say.

From season 14:

(3 parter)
Cry of the WildThe GuardianStarfire

(2 parter)
The HomelessA Time for Decision

(4 parter)
Ride the MountainDangerous JourneyFury at Wind RiverShowdown
Season 17's "The Saga of Lassies Puppies" obviously wasn't the only "Serialized" Episode in this series, and with the exception of this episode I only listed the ones that were tagged as multi -part episodes. Good Job smithbrad. :thumbsup:

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I know you guys have never seen this answer b4 :)....but the last 10 whenever and wherever that was. :)

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Lassie fans...I promise...I was just funnin'. I could have made that remark about many classic TV shows since I've never really watched them. What can you expect from a guy that's TV DVD collection is 93% western/police-detective drama along with Star Trek, The Twilight Zone and even dare I say it...Green Acres...which I still find funny. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks