What's new

Huge problem with Links (Xbox) (1 Viewer)

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Last night I ran into a very huge problem with my Links game.
Both me & my friend have(had) players built up pretty well. I had like 56 skill points, he had about 35.
While I was waiting for him to come over I was viewing the saved shots.... when we went to start, my player had skill points that the player had on the saved shot. Everything else was there (position in tournements,rankings,etc) but the skill points were gone.
So I try to "reset it" and play one of my friends saved shots, instead of resetting my stats, it took his stats back instead.
I looked at the memory section on the Xbox, it seems to have overwritten both files.
I just re-started the game & it's still the same.
Sorry while I rant but WTF? I lost all that I've worked so hard for. Now I have 30 skill points & since I've played most of the tournements, I will have no way to rebuild my stats.
I rarely pay $50 on a game, now it looks like it will be selling it (or taking out my frustration with a hammer) To bad I can't get the $5 back I paid for Kaluna (whatever it was).

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
After a little reasearch I found this......
Everyone with Live & has updated is affected. Issue # 2 is what got me....

Links 2004 - Problems With Auto Update
Date: Thursday, February 05 2004 @ 16:36:33 EST
Topic: Xbox Live

Anyone who plays Links 2004 Live would have noticed an auto update was required on Monday before you were able to play the game.

Unfortunately, the auto update contained a few bugs.

Here's a quote from the Links 2004 developers.

''With the help of the community we have identified two problems with the auto-update that released on Monday. We apologize these are in the code and scrambling now to fix the issues.

Issue 1: XSN Sports data is not always posting. We *think* (we're running through a lot of testing on this scenario now) that if you play back to back stroke rounds some of those rounds overwrite each other.

For example, Player - A is in a 4 round stroke tournament. He plays Rounds 1, 2, and 3 back to back in 30 mins. The XSN website picks up Player A's scores, and puts round 1 into Round 2's spot, or it can put Round 3 into Round 2's spot.

WORK AROUND: All our testing so far shows if you play a round, wait until it posts to the website, you can then play the next round just fine. As long as you wait until it posts to the website before playing your next round everything seems okay.

Issue 2: Viewing a saved shot from before the update will cause your profile to get hit by the roll-back check from the auto-update.

WORK AROUND: Don't view saved shots.

For both of these issues we are continuing to validate and work on addressing the problems. The last thing anyone on my team wanted was issues created by the auto-update. We have unfortunately gotten to this position and all I can ask is patience while we try to work through the issues.

I give you my word we'll get this straightened out. This is now our #1 priority and this seems to be squarely on my team's shoulder's not XSN's side. I will find someway to try to make up for this pain down the road.''

You know what I say to MS?
As much as I enjoy this game, this is inexcusable. I think it's time to sell it.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Ouch. I live in fear that I'll love my Gotham save data or such. Still need to pick up a memory card or disc backup system for this very reason.

I understand your frustration.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
I can understand being pissed about losing your stats, but why would you sell the game because of it? Is the fun of the game for you building stats, or playing a round of simulated golf? Do your stats affect how you play or who you play in any way (I don't have an xbox, so I don't know... I wish they'd release this title on the PC though)

Brian

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Brian - yeah the stats do affect your ability to play.

You use tournament winnings to increase your power, control, etc and move up the ranks from amateur to pro.

Bryan_ZZ

Stunt Coordinator
It is helpful to back up the profile on a memory card - you can wipe the corrupted profile and re-install it. I know this doesn't help your situation, but others should give it a try.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Well. After calming down from the initial shock that I lost 20 hours worth of work I have "considered" keeping the game & starting on my intermediate level. I was 90% done with beginners level anyways.
Does that mean I forgive MS for this problem? No way. There was no warning or notice given to us about this problem. It would of been really easy to make a global notice when you play the game & were online. I had to find out the hard way there was a problem.
By the way, there is a way to copy (backup) a existing player save file in the xbox memory, which I will be sure to do from now on.
Can't wait for Tiger Woods 2k5 which will hopefully have Live support so I can sell this.

BrianShort

Supporting Actor
Lou: I see... I don't really care for that idea... it seems to me your skill in how well you can hit should be based on how well you can manipulate whatever swing method is used in the game, just like all of the old Links games on the PC. I mentioned it above, but will this be coming out for the PC?

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks