What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Cheers: The Complete Third Season (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Cheers: The Complete Third Season

Studio: Paramount

Year: 1984-85

Rated: NR

Length: 25 episodes, 10 hours, 19 minutes

Aspect Ratio: 1.33:1

Audio: Dolby Digital Stereo Surround

English Closed Captioned

Special Features: Five featurettes

No S.R.P. Expected to sell for under $40 USD

Release Date: May 25, 2004

One of the favorite series of the 80’s comes your way this week with Cheers, Season 3 on DVD. This picks up, if you recall, after the breakup of Sam and Diane in season two. Diane finds a new love interest in Frasier Crane, and Sam continues to “play the field.”

Season three was Coach’s last season - Nicholas Colasanto died of a heart attack shortly after taping episode 66, Cheerio Cheers. With the remaining three episodes already nearing production, the Coach character was either explained as being on vacation, or they used outtakes and other video footage to give him a presence on screen. The show dealt with his death in the continuity of the series at the start of season four, with the addition of the Woody Boyd character.

Video
Cheers season three looks very much like season two - quite good, when you take the age and format of the elements into consideration. The picture is clean - only an occasional dust spot is visible - and sharp for a television product that’s twenty years old. There are no obvious sharpening or compression artifacts. Black levels are reasonably solid, with acceptable shadow detail. Colors are on the warm side.

Audio
The audio is clean and has good frequency response. Dialog is firmly planted front and center. Laugh track and music can be heard across the front soundstage and in the surround channel. Music cues have a pleasing bass response. This is just about as good as you could expect for Dolby Digital 2.0 sourced from a twenty year old sitcom. No complaints, here.

Special Features
Disc 4
Virtual Vera
(2:53)
A collection of clips about the never-seen Vera.

Shrink-Warped: Introducing Frasier Crane (2:49)
A collection of Frasier clips.

Carla’s Whipping Boy (3:23)
Carla / Cliff clips.

Nicholas Colasanto: His Final Season (6:35)
Interview with Ted Danson, Rhea Perlman, George Wendt - the cast remembers Colasanto. With clips, discussion of the loss.

Cheers Bar Tour
An interactive tour of the Cheers bar with art director Dahl Delu.
Clicking the door plays a series of entrance and exit clips.

Delu describes Tecumseh when you click there.

Clicking on a bench has Delu describing the integration of the Bull & Finch Pub (the inspiration for Cheers in Boston) with the Hollywood set.

Melville’s.

Jukebox - clicking this plays the theme song.

Photograph of Geronimo - the photo was found in Colasanto’s dressing room and added to the set. Other set pieces are described.

Cliff’s barstool. Intro by Delu and clips.

Norm’s barstool. Intro by Delu and clips.

Tap - (glug-glug sound)

cash register - (cha-ching sound)

glasses - (clink sound)

Final Thoughts
One has to wonder why Paramount even bothers to put these extras on disc - they aren’t very enlightening or entertaining. Half of the hotspots on the Bar Tour do nothing more than play a sound effect - and the interviews with the cast were obviously shot at the same time as the interviews on previous Cheers sets. If they are going to provide so little of value, I’d rather they provide nothing - and knock five bucks off the price. Still, I’m happy to have these classic episodes of Cheers on DVD, and - most importantly - the audio and video are more than adequate.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Excellent I love Cheers, I can't wait for the third season to be released in R2 (is there a release date for that yet?) -- over here in the UK we're still waiting for season two... :thumbsdown:

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m very interested to check this season and find how Frasier first was. I kind of discovered Cheers and Frasier around the same time and ever since my admiration is going up for Frasier and kind of static for Cheers (if not saying going down!)

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Again I will pick this up but even later than Frasier probably. I like season 4 on better because of Woody and barely have looked at the first 2 that I own, but I will eventually own this.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
Great! I love Cheers although the extras have been disappointing. I'm behind on the collecting of these sets though, I still need to get Season 2.

Joseph G.

Agent
I'm happy with all three of cheers season sets. Just as long as they keep releasing these sets I will be an extremely happy person.;)

BrianP

Supporting Actor
A play all selection would have been a nice addition to the set. Otherwise I am happy with the video and audio quality.

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
Another nice set, but I don't think I'll continue buying these for a while unless the extras improve and subtitles are added. The menus for this set look static and rushed (with nothing but episode titles on them), and since this is a two-channel stereo presentation, some of the subtle jokes I still miss.

Nice set, but future ones need a price drop if they're going to remain so bare-bones.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks