What's new

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For what it's worth, Leonard Maltin gives it one and 1/2 stars and calls it "Laughable epic with gross miscasting and juvenile script." I guess none of us are 14 anymore. Cheers~~

I think Maltin is spot on. I was several years older than 14 when I saw the film on first release and thought it totally risible. A pity, considering the talent involved.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I think Maltin is spot on. I was several years older than 14 when I saw the film on first release and thought it totally risible. A pity, considering the talent involved.

Yeah, maybe over 14 was too old. Even at that age I noticed that Robert Morley as the Emperor Of China spoke in a very posh English accent, whereas his adviser James Mason spoke in this risable pantomime Chinese accent. And the massive wooden yoke that young Temujin has to wear, the hole where his head pokes through is so big that he could lift it off at any time, & so on...(mind you none of this is as bad as The Long Ships, with that massive solid gold bell floating on the sea as if it was made of...polystyrene!). I could go on, but in the end this stuff either amuses you bores & annoys you.

One thing's for sure, Omar Sharif had an amazing career.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
[...]One thing's for sure, Omar Sharif had an amazing career.
When you get to work with David Lean on two consecutive films, there's little place else where an actor can go;
that is, unless, it's William Wyler calling you, too.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
When you get to work with David Lean on two consecutive films, there's little place else where an actor can go;
that is, unless, it's William Wyler calling you, too.
Perhaps a rubber of Bridge ;)
omarsharif[1].jpg

Reactions: PMF

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Mamie Stover is day one for me. Now in the Cinemascopes I am only waiting for Star! and The Story of Ruth, a great movie with a great stereo track. And from Columbia I would love Torch Song Trilogy.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
TT seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I do not see good coming from this going forward. The days of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, OLIVER! and other top-tier titles appears to be ending. This is too bad, because I have loved and supported TT from Day One. They need new licensing deals, I think.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
TT seems to be scraping the bottom of the barrel. I do not see good coming from this going forward. The days of A MAN FOR ALL SEASONS, OLIVER! and other top-tier titles appears to be ending. This is too bad, because I have loved and supported TT from Day One. They need new licensing deals, I think.

If what they are releasing is "bottom of the barrel", please give me more of it! Recent offerings like No Down Payment, My Sister Eileen, Revolt Of Mamie Stover, Blue Denim, Hilda Crane and My Gal Sal have been on my wish list for years and to have my wishes granted when I truly suspected I'd never see them on blu ray in my lifetime is a joy! We need boutique labels like Twilight Time (and Kino Lorber and Criterion) to release these neglected gems. Someone not long ago complained the Warners Archives were also scraping the bottom of the barrel with releases like The Green Slime and The Black Scorpion instead of their Joan Crawford classics. People need to realize that there's more to cinema than Oscar anointed movies and Joan Crawford :) and some of us appreciate those neglected "out of left field" pearls that see the light of day.

You GO, Twilight Time, you're doing just fine!

Last edited:

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I want ....Barabbas, Damn the Defiant !, Prince Valiant, Les Miserables 1935 and 1952 double feature set. More FOX Noir, and some Cinemascope westerns ??? Still waiting. : (

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
2 B&W CinemaScope 50s films from Fox ("Blue Denim" and "No Down Payment")....Any hope for "A Hatful of Rain" ??

SeanSKA

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean
I think Ryan's Daughter is a good film, but one of Lean's lesser works. It's very scale and scope seem to work against the story somehow. But I think it's poor reception had less to do with the quality of the film and more to do with the fact that it was very much out of sync with the times when it was released.

I always thought "Ryan's Daughter" was a great 2 hour film...unfortunately stretched to 3 1/2 hours. That said, if WAC puts it out on Blu, I'll be buying it

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
If what they are releasing is "bottom of the barrel", please give me more of it! Recent offerings like No Down Payment, My Sister Eileen, Revolt Of Mamie Stover, Blue Denim, Hilda Crane and My Gal Sal have been on my wish list for years and to have my wishes granted when I truly suspected I'd never see them on blu ray in my lifetime is a joy! We need boutique labels like Twilight Time (and Kino Lorber and Criterion) to release these neglected gems. Someone not long ago complained the Warners Archives were also scraping the bottom of the barrel with releases like The Green Slime and The Black Scorpion instead of their Joan Crawford classics. People need to realize that there's more to cinema than Oscar anointed movies and Joan Crawford :) and some of us appreciate those neglected "out of left field" pearls that see the light of day.

Attaboy Thomas! I agree completely. (Not sure what happened to Dick there, he's not usually so grumpy).

Mind you, your own patience might be stretched soon because a film which you in your CinemascopeCat guise criticised, Sunday In The Country with Ernest Borgnine at his most primitive, is coming out soon on Blu-ray disc in the U. K.

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
In defence of Leonard Maltin, he makes it quite clear in the into to his guides that there is a staff of reviewers who contribute to the book. He can't possibly see everything listed in the book. True, his tastes tend to be more classical than avant-garde, but knowing his preferences can be a valuable guide to relating the book's ratings to our personal tastes. That's why it's called a guide.

And he's hardly the only one who hated Blade Runner on the original release; I was one of many who wanted the Harrison Ford we had just seen in Star Wars, and we didn't get it. He has since revised his rating upward, but not to the masterpiece level others would prefer.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Attaboy Thomas! I agree completely. (Not sure what happened to Dick there, he's not usually so grumpy).

Mind you, your own patience might be stretched soon because a film which you in your CinemascopeCat guise criticised, Sunday In The Country with Ernest Borgnine at his most primitive, is coming out soon on Blu-ray disc in the U. K.

Glad to see I'm not alone in my appreciation, Robin. But regarding Sunday In The Country I think you have me confused with someone else as I've never seen the Borgnine film. Was it released under another title? I did talk about A Sunday In The Country but that was the 1984 Bertrand Tavernier film (Un Dimanche A La Campagne) which I quite liked. :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Yeah, that post was really pretty boorish. I've always been a huge supporter of TT, and will continue to be. Apologies for my remarks. And I hope Nick is doing well.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Glad to see I'm not alone in my appreciation, Robin. But regarding Sunday In The Country I think you have me confused with someone else as I've never seen the Borgnine film. Was it released under another title? I did talk about A Sunday In The Country but that was the 1984 Bertrand Tavernier film (Un Dimanche A La Campagne) which I quite liked. :)

Either I lost my marbles yesterday or I've lost them today. The film is also known as Blood For Blood and I'm sure I saw a review by Cinemascope Cat about this on Amazon, but I can't find it again today! So, if I got that all wrong, my apologies.

Sunday In The Country.jpg

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I’m not sure what other historical epics TT still has access to but those are always first day purchases for me. The Egyptian, Demetrius and the Gladiators, Alexander the Great, Solomon and Sheba (am I forgetting any?) have all been wonderful. The Egyptian is one of the most beautiful transfers I’ve ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks