What's new

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Yes! Finally The Revolt Of Mamie Stover! I'm all over that one! I have the Spanish DVD (and no, it's not a bootleg, it's licensed from Fox) and the transfer was excellent except for non removable Spanish subtitles so the TT blu should be impressive. I'm happy with my Genghis Khan DVD and the other two titles don't interest me (I disliked Cinderella Liberty).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
What a revoltin' development this month is!

MV5BYWQ4OWFjMTUtN2RlMC00YjFkLTkyYmItYTllOGY1OTU1MWJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc0MzMzNjA@._V1_.jpg

And in a new 4K transfer too! If my memory of the film is correct, the reason Mamie had to leave San Francisco is never explained in detail. A lot is left to our imagination . . . and where Jane Russell is concerned, that's no bad thing!:)

Reactions: PMF

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Never saw "Cinderella Liberty", as I was too young to get into the theater when it came out.
I'm a big fan of director Mark Rydell, as well.
I've always liked his selection of material and the performances he elicits from his actors.

I hope they release The RIver too. I watched this for the first time on VHS one morning in bed (near 2003) and loved it!
And I'd love a 4K restoration of On Golden Pond.
(i don't know if this is possible since it has been released by Shout already)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
And in a new 4K transfer too! If my memory of the film is correct, the reason Mamie had to leave San Francisco is never explained in detail. A lot is left to our imagination . . . and where Jane Russell is concerned, that's no bad thing!:)

Ah, the 1950s, where everything had to be cleaned up to protect the morals of movie audiences but not book readers apparently :)The prostitutes of the novel (like From Here To Eternity's journey from page to screen) in Revolt Of Mamie Stover are made over into dance hostesses (apparently a 1950s euphemism for hookers). No explanation of why Jane is kicked out of San Francisco is necessary, we know, don't we. :eek:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The Revolt of Mamie Stover , after doing some ' extensive researching' seems to be worth a look.. Ill give that one a shot ! .:)

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Yes! Finally The Revolt Of Mamie Stover! I'm all over that one! I have the Spanish DVD (and no, it's not a bootleg, it's licensed from Fox) and the transfer was excellent except for non removable Spanish subtitles so the TT blu should be impressive. I'm happy with my Genghis Khan DVD and the other two titles don't interest me (I disliked Cinderella Liberty).
The Revolt of Mamie Stover had some various attributes in its favor that gained my attentions;
after all, having never seen this film would mean a blind buy.
BUT, when our discerning Thomas T states a "Yes!" and a "Finally" towards this release, then that's plenty good for me.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I hope they release The RIver too. I watched this for the first time on VHS one morning in bed (near 2003) and loved it!
And I'd love a 4K restoration of On Golden Pond.
(i don't know if this is possible since it has been released by Shout already)
Ah, yes, here is another example of my earlier views on how Mark Rydell elicits great performances;
as Sissy Spacek - just like Marsha Mason - was also nominated for Best Actress under his direction.
And, like "Cinderella Liberty", John Williams and Vilmos Zsigmiond were both on board, again.
BTW, both men were nominated for their work on The River, as well. Excellent suggestion, Konstantinos.

As it is, I am most fascinated by the films of directors whose foundational training were within the legendary American schools of "Method". Warren Beatty, Kevin Costner and Peter Bogdonavich had trained under Stella Adler. Meanwhile, you've got Sidney Lumet, Martin Ritt and Mark Rydell who, subsequently, trained under Sanford Meisner at The Neighborhood Playhouse.

Of course, for matters pertaining to this months latest Twilight Time annoucements, James Caan also trained under Sanford Meisner;
which now brings us full-circle and back to "Cinderella Liberty".

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Dead simple: Genghis Khan and The Revolt Of Mamie Stover.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Genghis Khan is a truly delightful surprise. This bodes well for more of my beloved widescreen historical films coming from TT, very exciting indeed! If only someday Barabbas, The Story of Ruth, Esther and the King (Richard Egan rules here) or Salome.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Took the words right out of my mouth. Genghis Khan is a truly delightful surprise. This bodes well for more of my beloved widescreen historical films coming from TT, very exciting indeed! If only someday Barabbas, The Story of Ruth, Esther and the King (Richard Egan rules here) or Salome.
It looked like they were projecting a very good looking DCP of The Story of Ruth in the 2018 Academy Award Best Picture winner ... (in the behind the scenes it looked like they were actually projecting it ...)

TED!!!

Auditioning
Real Name
Ted Haycraft
...when I was a kid two films I really got a kick out of were GENGHIS KHAN (1965) and THE LONG SHIPS (1964) and one huge reason for both of them were their rousing scores (I would pick out their title themes on the family piano)!!! Of course it turned out that both of them were composed by the same composer Serbian Dusan Radic (& it took forever for me to track down the LPs for them)!!! What I really found fascinating was when I discovered they were the only two Hollywood films he composed!?!! Watching them now with an adult perspective the films are somewhat wonky but boy do their scores still hold a huge sway over me and really make the films so watchable despite their flaws!!! I'm excited to see Twilight Time doing a release of GENGHIS KHAN and of course this will be one I defintely be utilizing the isolated score!!! Now hopefully we will see a Blu-ray release of THE LONG SHIPS eventually...

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
It looked like they were projecting a very good looking DCP of The Story of Ruth in the 2018 Academy Award Best Picture winner ... (in the behind the scenes it looked like they were actually projecting it ...)
Indeed it raised the hope of a future BD release of The Story of Ruth. BTW, this film, with its theme of wherever you go, I go, is very germane to The Shape of Water.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'll have to wait till I see a review on Genghis Khan. IMDB says it was released with mono sound.

The Revolt of Mamie Stover should have highly directional dialog and 4.0 sound.

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
I saw Genghis Khan at the cinema aged 14 (about the right age to see it) & thought it was great. I suppose you could say it's a typical dopey period film of its time, but it has a fantastic score & cast (two great names not on the poster, Michael Hordon & Woody Strode) & there's a real brio about it, I'm very tempted. After years of seeing awful pan & scan & cut about old prints on TV, I was delighted to see a stunning HD transfer on the BBC a couple of years ago (they also showed The Long Ships in HD, but that looked less than stella, a lot less). Stephen Boyd is great as the villain, as he was in Ben-Hur, but he was such a bore as the hero in Fall Of The Roman Empire. So far it's a very good year for sixties movies on Blu-ray...keep it up .:)
For what it's worth, Leonard Maltin gives it one and 1/2 stars and calls it "Laughable epic with gross miscasting and juvenile script." I guess none of us are 14 anymore. Cheers~~

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For what it's worth, Leonard Maltin gives it one and 1/2 stars and calls it "Laughable epic with gross miscasting and juvenile script." I guess none of us are 14 anymore. Cheers~~

Maltin is a movie reviewer and not a film critic (there is a difference) and he also gave one and a half stars to the original Blade Runner (which makes it equal to Genghis Khan in Maltin's opinion) and a mere two stars to Taxi Driver. For what it's worth :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks