What's new

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
If what they are releasing is "bottom of the barrel", please give me more of it! Recent offerings like No Down Payment, My Sister Eileen, Revolt Of Mamie Stover, Blue Denim, Hilda Crane and My Gal Sal have been on my wish list for years and to have my wishes granted when I truly suspected I'd never see them on blu ray in my lifetime is a joy! We need boutique labels like Twilight Time (and Kino Lorber and Criterion) to release these neglected gems. Someone not long ago complained the Warners Archives were also scraping the bottom of the barrel with releases like The Green Slime and The Black Scorpion instead of their Joan Crawford classics.

Simple answer: That's because genre titles sell on blu ray. I'll bet Green Slime and Black Scorpion would outsell most any non-genre Joan Crawford title; once you factor in Joan's own genre titles (for William Castle, et al.), that tide would change.

By the same token, if TT ever gets a 3D master of Gorilla at Large (fingers crossed), I'd bet that blu ray would sell more discs (maybe many more) than any of the TT titles you list above.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Simple answer: That's because genre titles sell on blu ray. I'll bet Green Slime and Black Scorpion would outsell most any non-genre Joan Crawford title; once you factor in Joan's own genre titles (for William Castle, et al.), that tide would change.

By the same token, if TT ever gets a 3D master of Gorilla at Large (fingers crossed), I'd bet that blu ray would sell more discs (maybe many more) than any of the TT titles you list above.

Her psycho biddy movies aside (thank you, Mill Creek :)) of course, Green Slime and Black Scorpion would outsell Crawford's "classics". And I'm sure Gorilla At Large would be a huge seller for TT. My point was that those who denigrate films like Scorpion, Slime and Gorilla as beneath TT's or the Warner Archives assumed standards 1) don't realize that those are the money makers that make it possible for the release of Oscar anointed films or Joan Crawford "classics" to get released 2) that many of us have an appetite for MORE than the Oscar anointed sacred cows. Frankly, if TT made a deal with Paramount, I would get more excited over the release of The Joker Is Wild and Lucy Gallant than releases of Ordinary People and Reds.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Frankly, if TT made a deal with Paramount, I would get more excited over the release of The Joker Is Wild and Lucy Gallant than releases of Ordinary People and Reds.

So would I! I very much want to see The Joker Is Wild again. I never want to see Reds again

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Her psycho biddy movies aside (thank you, Mill Creek :)) of course, Green Slime and Black Scorpion would outsell Crawford's "classics". And I'm sure Gorilla At Large would be a huge seller for TT. My point was that those who denigrate films like Scorpion, Slime and Gorilla as beneath TT's or the Warner Archives assumed standards 1) don't realize that those are the money makers that make it possible for the release of Oscar anointed films or Joan Crawford "classics" to get released 2) that many of us have an appetite for MORE than the Oscar anointed sacred cows.

Heartily agreed. :thumbs-up-smiley:

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Given that REDS has been on Blu-ray since 2009, I'm not sure there'd be a groundswell of interest in a reissue. But ORDINARY PEOPLE has never been on Blu-ray, and would be warmly received. Alas, all of this discussion is academic, as these and other Paramount titles that are hotly desired for whatever reason are pretty much mothballed.

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Each month TT has something of interest to me; there are still so many gems that await from Columbia and Fox. I hope to get releases of Star; Lord Jim; Mackenna’s Gold and The Victors.
I readily accept that one persons gem is another’s dross but I believe TT have done a great job of releasing a wide range of titles.
I look forward to today’s announcements

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ChildrenOfHuangShi_BD.jpg

The director of Under Fire and Tomorrow Never Dies and the cinematographer of House of Flying Daggers and The Great Wall join forces for a moving and powerful historical action tale inspired by true events, adroitly outfitted with a notable international cast and lensed on spectacularly beautiful and rugged Chinese locations – now debuting in North America on hi-def Blu-ray!

THE CHILDREN OF HUANGSHI

Limited Edition BLU-RAYRelease

Only 3,000 units available atwww.twilighttimemovies.com& www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, JULY 17, 2018

“A little-known true story is sensitively brought to the screen…it radiates intelligence. Of how many historical epics can that be said these days?”

– Peter Rainer, The Christian Science Monitor

“Roger Spottiswoode directs with old-fashioned style, avoiding the saccharine…The terrific cinematographer Zhao Xiaoding photographs dust devils and bullets as carefully as the luminous face of Michelle Yeoh.”

– Jeannette Catsoulis, The New York Times

The beautifully engaged director Roger Spottiswoode (Under Fire, also from Twilight Time) brings us The Children of Huang Shi(2008), a wrenching historical drama starring Jonathan Rhys Meyers as George Hogg, a British journalist caught up in the brutal Japanese invasion of China in 1938. Via encounters with a Chinese resistance fighter (the marvelous Chow Yun-fat), an American nurse (Radha Mitchell), and an aristocratic lady (Michelle Yeoh), Hogg becomes a better man – and eventually helps to lead a group of Chinese orphans on a terrifying trek in search of a safe haven. Shot by superb cinematographer Zhao Xiaoding (House of Flying Daggers) and featuring a score from David Hirschfelder (Shine).

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
CinderellaLiberty_BD.jpg

Sailing into port in a stellar, all-new high-definition transfer: the soulful and gritty slice-of-life drama about the up-and-down romance of two lonely souls, a caring Navy man on leave and a hardened Seattle streetwalker trying to raise a young son. Nominated for three Academy Awards® including Best Actress (Golden Globe winner Marsha Mason) and Best Original Score (John Williams), it’s a solid showcase for James Caan, Mason and director Mark Rydell, ready for rediscovery on Blu-ray.

Cinderella Liberty

“An earthy but very touching story of a sailor’s love for a prostitute. James Caan stars in an outstanding performance, and Marsha Mason, in her second picture, is equally superb.” – Variety

“[Mason] is that rare creature who not only makes being over 25 seem something less than senility, but also makes her whore-with-heart-of-gold role perfectly acceptable.” – Judith Crist, New York Magazine

Adapted from his novel by Darryl Ponicsan (The Last Detail)and directed by Mark Rydell (On Golden Pond),Cinderella Liberty(1973) stars James Caan as a footloose sailor who, on leave, falls in love with a Seattle hooker (played by Marsha Mason, who earned an Academy Award® nomination). Complicating matters is the swabby’s growing affection for the prostitute’s 11-year-old son (Kirk Calloway), who clearly would benefit from the presence of a father figure. Also starring Eli Wallach, and featuring cinematography by the great Vilmos Zsigmond (Close Encounters of the Third Kind)and music from the one and only John Williams, available on this Twilight Time release as an isolated track.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
GenghisKhan_BD.jpg

Spectacle, scenic sweep and stars galore all converge on this epic recounting of the rise of one of world history’s great conqueror rulers, now unleashed on a crystalline hi-def Blu-ray that boasts one of the most eclectic casts ever assembled and a vigorous, thrilling score by the formidable Serbian composer Dušan Radić(The Long Ships).

GENGHIS KHAN

“An introspective biopic about the Mongol chief Temujin, who unified Asia’s warring tribes in the Dark Ages…emphasizes personal motivation rather than sweeping pageantry.” Variety

“It’s hard to generate audience sympathy for a Mongolian leader who laid waste to much of the civilized world, but Sharif pulls it off…James Mason is amusing as an epigrammatic Chinese leader.” – Hal Erickson, AllMovie.com

An extraordinary all-star cast – including Omar Sharif in the title role, Stephen Boyd as his longtime rival/mentor, Françoise Dorléac as the seductive woman between them, James Mason as a Chinese leader, and Eli Wallach as a ferocious villain – is the highlight of Genghis Khan(1965), a spectacular biopic of the brutal Mongolian military genius. Also on hand are Robert Morley, Telly Savalas, Michael Hordern, and Woody Strode. Henry Levin (Journey to the Center of the Earth, also from Twilight Time) directs; the epic action – shot primarily in Yugoslavia – was photographed by the great Geoffrey Unsworth.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TheRevoltOfMamieStover_BD.jpg

Spiffed up in a new 4K restoration transfer: the Cinemascopic scenic splendors of Hawaii and gorgeous Jane Russell – playing a Frisco-banned scarlet woman who relocates to the island paradise in the run-up to World War II, builds her fortune in real-estate investments and G.I. “entertainment,” takes a flyer on true love and sings Keep Your Eyes on the Hands. Man’s-man directing legend Raoul Walsh puts an independent woman front and center in a robustly entertaining yarn you’ll grab, in the lingo of another tune, If You Wanna See Mamie Tonight.

The Revolt of Mamie Stover

“Examines the themes of Walsh’s male-oriented action films – self-definition, the need to transcend the past – from a woman’s point of view.”

– Dave Kehr, The Chicago Reader

“Explosive…Jane Russell perfectly incarnates an unusual character, the female equivalent of the implacable and conquering hero…An unconventional film, typical of Walsh’s last period.” – Ermanno Comuzio, La Nuova Italia

The terrific creative trio of director Raoul Walsh (High Sierra), producer Buddy Adler (From Here to Eternity), and screenwriter Sydney Boehm (The Big Heat, also from Twilight Time) brings us this adaptation of William Bradford Huie’s racy novel, The Revolt of Mamie Stover(1956). Jane Russell stars as the title character, a shady lady working in a Honolulu “dance hall” while amassing a real estate fortune and conducting a romance with a disapproving but turned-on writer (Richard Egan). Highlighted by a superb Hugo Friedhofer score, available here as an isolated track.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Genghis Khan is on TCM and looks the same as the Blu-ray screen shots on dvdbeaver.com (see above post).

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Screen Archives currently have a sale of Twilight Time titles with a 25% discount applicable to a starting price of $19.95 plus shipping. The qualifying code to be entered at checkout is TWILIGHT0923

Good luck. Good hunting.

mark brown

Supporting Actor
I actually purchased a couple of TT titles! Unlike some, I have never had a problem with my collection which is nearly the complete catalogue.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks