What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time July 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm definitely interested in the TOM SAWYER (1973) / HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1974) Blu-ray, partially for the nostalgia factor but also for the fact that the Sherman Brothers were involved.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Thanks Nick and crew for another month of releases. I have very vague memories of watching Johnny Whittaker on TV playing Tom Sawyer so this will be essentially watching it for the first time. I've not seen any of the others. I'm most likely to pick up Crimson Kimono based on the positive feedback in this thread. IMDB describes this as a crime/mystery vs the love drama the cover made me think it was. Early Woody Allen can be funny and the cast looks stellar on this one. Despite its title, this is probably a PG movie by today's standards..

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I just thought it was ironic that TT's announcements happened to be on the 15th of this month. See how the 15th of each month seems to find a way to have some kind of title announcement :D

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I will be getting Tom Sawyer. I saw it when it came out and a couple times on TV. Always enjoyed it. I don't think I ever saw this version of Huck Finn but since it comes in a package I will take it.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
+1 :thumbsup:

I'd also normally say the same for any R&H film. But not this one. Jeanne Craine...yes. Pat Boone...no. :D

Hey, now come on! Get real! Pat Boone is not intended as a substitute for Jeanne Crain. He plays the Dick Haymes part and does it better, although he can't sing as well. (Very few people could sing as well as Dick Haymes) What about Pamela Tiffin, whom I adored in my teens? No enthusiasm for her? And Bobby Darin is far better at playing a raffish character than Dana Andrews ever was.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I'm definitely interested in the TOM SAWYER (1973) / HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1974) Blu-ray, partially for the nostalgia factor but also for the fact that the Sherman Brothers were involved.

Nothing against the Sherman Bros. personally, but am I the only one here who thinks they pretty much wrote mediocre, highly-forgettable songs for most of their movies and yet, miraculously, composed a single brilliant score with MARY POPPINS? I believe an artist deserves to be judged upon his or her (or their) best work, and had they only written POPPINS, their legacy would be cemented. Their prior and subsequent work was hit or miss -- mostly miss IMHO -- with one good song here and one there. But with POPPINS, they were truly inspired, and very nearly every song was a classic. I say, good for you, Robert and Richard...amazing stuff. Sorry I can't work up much enthusiasm for most of the rest of their filmography (although I do like "Hush A Bye Mountain" from CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG).

Flame barrier in place. :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'm in for all five titles.

I've never really understood the hatred for the 1962 STATE FAIR, other than it was not right for the times in 1962. To me, it's a "fair" CinemaScope remake of the '45 version. Of course, the 1933 non-musical with Will Rogers, Janet Gaynor and Sally Eilers is the one that's the classic. But for all its faults, and there are quite a few (Tom Ewell singing to the hog, etc.) the 1962 version made a few improvements on the '45 version, which, to me, did not evoke Iowa at all, with all the outdoors on a soundstage and the Hollywood-fake farmhouse. Here, the location work really evokes the new Texas setting tremendously. Pat Boone is much more believable as a farmboy than Dick Haymes. And Ann-Margret is perfect as the girl, who, while not necessarily a "bad girl" has clearly been around a lot more than Pat's character. The DVD was looked and sounded nice, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this on Blu.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Rob Ray states above that the 1933 version of STATE FAIR "is the one that's the classic". Yet it would be hard
to tell, given that it's one of those Golden Oldies that remains mired in Public Domain Hell. Is this a Rights Issue,
a lack of decent material from which to work, or something else? This is one I've longed to see in decent shape.
Any ideas as to when or if it might ever be rescued?

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I've never heard that the 1933 version was in the public domain. Fox has it and has run it several times on their Fox Movie Channel. It's in fairly rough shape, as are a lot of the early Fox titles, due to the infamous vault fire they had around 1937. But it's very watchable and looks better than the average public domain title. I keep hoping they will at least release it as a Fox Archive title on DVD if they can't release a suitable blu ray.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
I'll be getting the Woody Allen and the TOM SAWYER / HUCKLEBERRY FINN duo. HUCKLEBERRY FINN is thoroughly mediocre but it's fine as an "extra" for a TOM SAWYER purchase.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Nothing against the Sherman Bros. personally, but am I the only one here who thinks they pretty much wrote mediocre, highly-forgettable songs for most of their movies and yet, miraculously, composed a single brilliant score with MARY POPPINS? I believe an artist deserves to be judged upon his or her (or their) best work, and had they only written POPPINS, their legacy would be cemented. Their prior and subsequent work was hit or miss -- mostly miss IMHO -- with one good song here and one there. But with POPPINS, they were truly inspired, and very nearly every song was a classic. I say, good for you, Robert and Richard...amazing stuff. Sorry I can't work up much enthusiasm for most of the rest of their filmography (although I do like "Hush A Bye Mountain" from CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG).

Flame barrier in place. :)

Well, if you want to talk flame barriers :), personally I find their Mary Poppins songs a rather dull lot and much prefer Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Happiest Millionaire and The One And Only Original Genuine Family Band myself. But hey, that's just me!

john a hunter

Screenwriter
I've never heard that the 1933 version was in the public domain. Fox has it and has run it several times on their Fox Movie Channel. It's in fairly rough shape, as are a lot of the early Fox titles, due to the infamous vault fire they had around 1937. But it's very watchable and looks better than the average public domain title. I keep hoping they will at least release it as a Fox Archive title on DVD if they can't release a suitable blu ray.
A transfer was included in the R&H box set. From memory it looks and sounds great!

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
A transfer was included in the R&H box set. From memory it looks and sounds great!
Are you absolutely sure about that? I can't find that the 1933 version of State Fair has ever been released on DVD. It would be odd to be included in a R&H box as R&H had nothing to do with that version.

* perhaps you are confusing it with the Carousel Blu-ray which contains a standard definition copy of Liliom?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks