What's new

HTF EXCLUSIVE! Twilight Time July 2017 Release Announcements (1 Viewer)

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I had the box R&H set and each DVD had a second disc but the second disc of State Fair was the 1972 CinemaScope version, not the one from the 30s

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I'm in for all five titles.

I've never really understood the hatred for the 1962 STATE FAIR, other than it was not right for the times in 1962. To me, it's a "fair" CinemaScope remake of the '45 version. Of course, the 1933 non-musical with Will Rogers, Janet Gaynor and Sally Eilers is the one that's the classic. But for all its faults, and there are quite a few (Tom Ewell singing to the hog, etc.) the 1962 version made a few improvements on the '45 version, which, to me, did not evoke Iowa at all, with all the outdoors on a soundstage and the Hollywood-fake farmhouse. Here, the location work really evokes the new Texas setting tremendously. Pat Boone is much more believable as a farmboy than Dick Haymes. And Ann-Margret is perfect as the girl, who, while not necessarily a "bad girl" has clearly been around a lot more than Pat's character. The DVD was looked and sounded nice, so I'm really looking forward to seeing this on Blu.

Hopefully they will include the screen tests of:

Ann-Margret singing "It Might As Well Be Spring"
Andy Williams singing a bit of "All I Owe Ioway"
Andy Williams singing "It Might As Well Be Spring"
Andy Williams tests opposite Barbara Eden

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I really enjoy the 1962 version. "This Isn't Heaven" is beautiful and one of my favorite R&H songs. It's only in the 1962 version.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Are you absolutely sure about that? I can't find that the 1933 version of State Fair has ever been released on DVD. It would be odd to be included in a R&H box as R&H had nothing to do with that version.

* perhaps you are confusing it with the Carousel Blu-ray which contains a standard definition copy of Liliom?
I was referring to the 1945 version which is in the BD box set of R&H musicals. Sorry for any confusion.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Nothing against the Sherman Bros. personally, but am I the only one here who thinks they pretty much wrote mediocre, highly-forgettable songs for most of their movies and yet, miraculously, composed a single brilliant score with MARY POPPINS? I believe an artist deserves to be judged upon his or her (or their) best work, and had they only written POPPINS, their legacy would be cemented. Their prior and subsequent work was hit or miss -- mostly miss IMHO -- with one good song here and one there. But with POPPINS, they were truly inspired, and very nearly every song was a classic. I say, good for you, Robert and Richard...amazing stuff. Sorry I can't work up much enthusiasm for most of the rest of their filmography (although I do like "Hush A Bye Mountain" from CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG).

Flame barrier in place. :)

To each their own I guess.I agree with Thomas T. I just love the score to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, Family Band and The Happiest Millionaire (but also love Mary Poppins). And they did one great score for Over Here, a broadway musical they composed with the Andrews Sisters as stars. Their music is great. And on the CD Unsung Sherman Brothers, which by the way fans was just released, are scores to 3 musicals that were never made. I am not all that familiar with Sawyer and Finn scores, but I will be purchasing them and State Fair. It's always a rare lucky day when we get musicals on blu-ray. Now if I could only get 4 I have wanted for ages, Flower Drum Song, Thoroughly Modern Millie, Sweet Charity and The Pirates of Penzance. C'mon Twilight Time, make a deal with Universal and release these three hehe. Universal is doing nothing again with its pre-1970 catalog and yet no company is licensing them out. I wonder if Universal won't make a deal or if no one has approached them.

Last edited:

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Great titles, musicals musicals musicals, there are so many unreleased in this category. I am also really hoping for 2 films which could be great Twilight Time releases, Torch Song Trilogy from Columbia and a great Cinemascope film which has great stereo tracks, The Story of Ruth!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TheCrimsonKimono_BD.jpg

Strap in for the hi-def premiere for another action-packed envelope pusher from bravura moviemaker Samuel Fuller! Two buddy Army veterans, now L.A. police detectives, probe a stripper’s murder and their mutual attraction to the same woman. “One of the most progressive movies of the ’50s. Fuller aggressively avoids a preachy commentary on race relations while making a film of unmatched emotional honesty” (Northwest Chicago Film Society).

The Crimson Kimono

Limited Edition BLU-RAY Release

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

Once they are gone – they are gone!

RELEASE DATE: TUESDAY, JULY 18, 2017

“A triumph of grungy lyricism…The tenor of the film oscillates between tight-fisted noir and chamber drama, but the theme is always the same: cultural and romantic unrest.”

– Ed Gonzales, Slant Magazine

“Some fine set pieces—like the disciplined Kendo fight that degenerates into sadistic anarchy—and thoughtful camera-work serve to illustrate Fuller’s gift for weaving a poetic nihilism out of his journalistic vision of urban crime.” Time Out London

Maverick writer-director Samuel Fuller’s The Crimson Kimono (1959) is a noir-ish tale of two Los Angeles cops (James Shigeta, Glenn Corbett) attempting to solve the murder of a stripper in Little Tokyo. But along the way, Fuller typically introduces themes of racism and sexual identity, particularly when a young woman (Victoria Shaw), a possible key witness, enters the picture, disrupting the relationship of the two police partners.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
TomSawyerHuckleberryFinn_BD.jpg

The songwriting brothers who stirred Baby Boomer hearts and minds with Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Bedknobs and Brromsticks musicalize Mark Twain’s two seminal books with cheer and grit in a double-feature boasting upmixed 5.1 Audio and a newly-recorded Richard M. Sherman Audio Commentary on Tom Sawyer. Twice the “gratifaction” on one swell hi-def Blu-ray.

Tom Sawyer &

Huckleberry Finn

Only 3,000 units available at www.twilighttimemovies.com & www.screenarchives.com

“[Tom Sawyer is] an unpretentious and cheerful movie that uses its music well…very fetching…the best thing in its line since Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” – Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“[Huckleberry Finn’s] Paul Winfield merits praise for a strong, dignified performance as Jim…Harvey Korman as the King and David Wayne as the Duke [are] an irresistible pair of rogues.”

– Lawrence Van Gelder, The New York Times

Sibling songwriting duo Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman (the men responsible for the immortal Mary Poppins) bring us a pair of musical Mark Twain adaptations: Tom Sawyer (1973), a light-hearted look at life along the Mississippi, and the more serious Huckleberry Finn (1974), which touches (more lightly here, of course, than in the original) on the subject of race in America. Acting honors in Tom Sawyer go to vets Celeste Holm and Warren Oates, and to little Johnny Whitaker and a very young Jodie Foster; in Huckleberry Finn, adolescent Jeff East is paired with the great Paul Winfield.

LIKE TWILIGHT TIME ON FACEBOOK

www.facebook.com/twilighttimemovies

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
StateFair_BD.jpg

Now in glistening 1080p: the unjustly neglected Cinemascope remake of the beloved musical about a family’s comic and romantic entanglements while visiting their annual state fair, enhancing the 1945 original’s key score numbers with five new songs solo-written by the composer and boasting spirited performances by older- and younger-generation stars.

RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN’S

STATE FAIR

“A clutch of professionals – Pat Boone, Ann-Margret, Bobby Darin, and Alice Faye – are not wanting in their efforts. They croon or belt… with understanding and feeling.” – Bosley Crowther, The New York Times

This 1962 remake of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II’s 1945 movie musical, State Fair, stars Pat Boone and Pamela Tiffin as a pair of innocent Texas country mice who find complicated romance with, respectively, Ann-Margret and Bobby Darin at the titular big event. Alice Faye and Tom Ewell are their concerned parents. The Academy Award®-winning classic, “It Might As Well Be Spring,” and “It’s a Grand Night for Singing” are joined by five new songs with music and lyrics by Rodgers written for this remake.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
EverythingYouAlwaysWantedToKnowAboutSex_BD.jpg

From chastity belt calamities and sheepish romantic longings to enhanced breastwork and reluctant sperm: whatever your perversion, hi-def Blu-ray hilarity is sure to result with this titillating and popular star-stuffed comedy riff on Dr. David Reuben’s best-seller by Woody Allen.

“Everything you always

wanted to know about sex*

*But were afraid to ask”

“Consistently funny and inventive…a colourful, winning irreverence throughout.” – Graeme Clark, The Spinning Image

“Allen crams in many funny, crass lines…and there’s one genuinely funny classic performance from [Gene] Wilder, who is magnificent, absurd, and bizarrely touching.” – Simon Braund, Empire Magazine

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex* (*But Were Afraid to Ask) is writer-director-actor Woody Allen’s hilarious 1972 sketch-comedy “adaptation” of Dr. David Reuben’s best-selling self-help book; it features a superb cast – including Gene Wilder, Burt Reynolds, Lynn Redgrave, John Carradine, Tony Randall, Louise Lasser, and Allen himself – in highly amusing if often embarrassing segments designed to answer such questions as “Do aphrodisiacs work?” Note particularly the immortal Wilder in the tragic “What Is Sodomy?”

Reactions: PMF

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad

Now in glistening 1080p: the unjustly neglected Cinemascope remake of the beloved musical about a family’s comic and romantic entanglements while visiting their annual state fair, enhancing the 1945 original’s key score numbers with five new songs solo-written by the composer and boasting spirited performances by older- and younger-generation stars.

RODGERS AND HAMMERSTEIN’S

STATE FAIR

“A clutch of professionals – Pat Boone, Ann-Margret, Bobby Darin, and Alice Faye – are not wanting in their efforts. They croon or belt… with understanding and feeling.” – Bosley Crowther, The New York Times

This 1962 remake of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein II’s 1945 movie musical, State Fair, stars Pat Boone and Pamela Tiffin as a pair of innocent Texas country mice who find complicated romance with, respectively, Ann-Margret and Bobby Darin at the titular big event. Alice Faye and Tom Ewell are their concerned parents. The Academy Award®-winning classic, “It Might As Well Be Spring,” and “It’s a Grand Night for Singing” are joined by five new songs with music and lyrics by Rodgers written for this remake.

Definitely in for this one to round out my initial R&H collection which started with the first R&H Blu set. Later added the DVD for the 1964 live-action version of Cinderella.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

The songwriting brothers who stirred Baby Boomer hearts and minds with Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and Bedknobs and Brromsticks musicalize Mark Twain’s two seminal books with cheer and grit in a double-feature boasting upmixed 5.1 Audio and a newly-recorded Richard M. Sherman Audio Commentary on Tom Sawyer. Twice the “gratifaction” on one swell hi-def Blu-ray.

Tom Sawyer &

Huckleberry Finn

“[Tom Sawyer is] an unpretentious and cheerful movie that uses its music well…very fetching…the best thing in its line since Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.” – Roger Ebert, Chicago Sun-Times

“[Huckleberry Finn’s] Paul Winfield merits praise for a strong, dignified performance as Jim…Harvey Korman as the King and David Wayne as the Duke [are] an irresistible pair of rogues.”

– Lawrence Van Gelder, The New York Times

Sibling songwriting duo Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman (the men responsible for the immortal Mary Poppins) bring us a pair of musical Mark Twain adaptations: Tom Sawyer (1973), a light-hearted look at life along the Mississippi, and the more serious Huckleberry Finn (1974), which touches (more lightly here, of course, than in the original) on the subject of race in America. Acting honors in Tom Sawyer go to vets Celeste Holm and Warren Oates, and to little Johnny Whitaker and a very young Jodie Foster; in Huckleberry Finn, adolescent Jeff East is paired with the great Paul Winfield.

Nice to hear there's a Sherman commentary on SAWYER, but I see no mention of the rumored Bruce Kimmel track(s),

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Since the Warner Archive hasn't given us a musical release in several months, Twilight Time is thankfully filling the gap with three musicals this month, and I'm SO grateful.

Twilight Time

Insider
Real Name
Twilight Time
Nice to hear there's a Sherman commentary on SAWYER, but I see no mention of the rumored Bruce Kimmel track(s),

Special Features: Isolated Music Tracks / Tom Sawyer Audio Commentary with Screenwriter/Songwriter Richard M. Sherman and Music Producer/Historian Bruce Kimmel / Tom Sawyer Audio Commentary with Director Don Taylor, Screenwriter/Songwriter Robert B. Sherman, and Screenwriter/Songwriter Richard M. Sherman / Tom Sawyer River Song Featurette / Tom Sawyer Rehearsal with John Williams and the Sherman Brothers / Original Theatrical Trailers

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Special Features: Isolated Music Tracks / Tom Sawyer Audio Commentary with Screenwriter/Songwriter Richard M. Sherman and Music Producer/Historian Bruce Kimmel / Tom Sawyer Audio Commentary with Director Don Taylor, Screenwriter/Songwriter Robert B. Sherman, and Screenwriter/Songwriter Richard M. Sherman / Tom Sawyer River Song Featurette / Tom Sawyer Rehearsal with John Williams and the Sherman Brothers / Original Theatrical Trailers

Thank you, sir.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just received my Sawyer/Finn disc and have sampled the quality. Tom Sawyer looks great with strong color and a nice sharp image. Huckleberry Finn a bit less with a somewhat duller image and a few specks here and there. The 5.1 soundtrack on Sawyer sounds marvelous. It's full, rich and lots of low end to give the orchestra real oomph. Only the dialog is slightly lacking most likely due to the inferior boom-mike technology of the day. The original mix, in 4.0, is not nearly as rich and I would wholeheartedly recommend the enhanced 5.1 mix. The soundtrack on Huckleberry Finn is still 2.0 stereo, but sounds just fine in Dolby Pro-logic mode.

I'm going to have to rip the commentary tracks to my computer so I can listen to them on my devices as I prefer not to watch the film while listening to commentary.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I just received my Sawyer/Finn disc and have sampled the quality. Tom Sawyer looks great with strong color and a nice sharp image. Huckleberry Finn a bit less with a somewhat duller image and a few specks here and there. The 5.1 soundtrack on Sawyer sounds marvelous. It's full, rich and lots of low end to give the orchestra real oomph. Only the dialog is slightly lacking most likely due to the inferior boom-mike technology of the day. The original mix, in 4.0, is not nearly as rich and I would wholeheartedly recommend the enhanced 5.1 mix. The soundtrack on Huckleberry Finn is still 2.0 stereo, but sounds just fine in Dolby Pro-logic mode.

I'm going to have to rip the commentary tracks to my computer so I can listen to them on my devices as I prefer not to watch the film while listening to commentary.
I'm glad someone else noticed that Huck was duller. I doubt Kovacs would have approved (Laslo V. not Ernie ... Though Ernie was apparently a perfectionist) of the transfer. ...

I never saw it in a theater so I couldn't compare it.

I remember seeing Tom Sawyer in 70mm Opening Week ...

I spot checked Tom Sawyer and I looks to be a very good transfer. There are a few specks here & there (especially right around reel changes I think) but otherwise looks like what I saw in the theater ...

The sound mix was awesome. My only quibble is that I think the school bell at the rang at the back of the theater a well as sort of a Doppler effect ... My memory (as A 12 year old) as that it was enough to stop the people behind us in the theater from talking ...

All in all another great release from TT ...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks