What's new
World Wide Stereo

HT size limitation (1 Viewer)

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
Hello everyone.
I need some advise on a HT room iam considering building.
My problem is that i will be building this room in my basement, and am limited to the size of the room. The room size will be 8'w X19'd with 7' ceiling height finnished dimensions.
What i was wondering is will this be to narrow for a HT room? How would a room this size play out with the acustics? Will it sound like iam in a tunnel being so narrow?
As of now i have a 53" TV, so that wouldn't be a problem for the width of the room.
As for the construction, it is in my basement, so the room now has concrete floors, and concrete walls. I will be framing out the walls with wood, insulating them, then sheetrocking them. The floor i can only put carpet on due to my 7' ceiling height. The ceiling is a drop ceiling with acustical tiles in it, but i can't gain any extra height out of it.
So my main question for you guys/gals is, is this to narrow of a room for a HT room?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Daryl.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

wendortb

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis Wendorf
I would think your biggest concerns would be with sound reflections, which can be taken care of with several sound absorbing materials. I think your second biggest concern would be seating. You will need to be able to walk around the furniture easily. I don't think a full size couch would be very comfortable in there, although it can be done.

If room acoustics are your biggest concern, they can be changed by putting things in the room. Carpet will help with absorbing sound. I don't like the sound of a room with a hard floor, too many reflections.

I believe there have been rooms that were this width done before.

Thats my 2 cents. You can take it with a grain of salt and call me in the morning. :)

uplateagain

Auditioning
Real Name
Daryl
Thanks for your reply.
As for the sound reflections do you think it would make sense to put carpeting half way up the wall to help? Iam new to the HT scene, so any advise is helpfull.
As far as the seating i was figuring on 2 double recliner seats, or one double recliner in front with a couch behind. most couches are 72" i believe. The second row will be on a riser. I don't need much seating as it is mainly for My wife, 2 young children, and i.
Another concern i was thinking about was the light reflection from the TV on the walls when it was playing. Would it brighten the narrow room to much?
I was thinking about painting the walls a dark flat color, but the light reflection is still a concern to me. Does anyone think this would be a problem also?
Thanks for anyones input on this. please let me know what your thoughts on this would be.
Thanks,
Daryl

wendortb

Auditioning
Real Name
Travis Wendorf
You can get paint really flat & dark if you look. Also, since you will have to do something with the sound reflections anyway, you may be able to just hang up some nice curtains on the side walls. This would take care of some sound and most of your light reflections. Light reflections can be taken care of with either paint or fabric. The ceiling and walls beside the tv are going to be the most noticable reflections for light. Curtains on the walls and dark, flat paint on the ceiling can make your room a cave. Just make sure if you use some paint, that it is not reflective. The ones that you can wipe off with a rag are usually glossy. You can get some dark flat ceiling paint for the ceiling and velvet curtains for the walls if you are really concerned about light reflections.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adityalbarrett
Recent bookmarks