What's new

HSU VTF3R vs. SVS PB2-ISD or ??? (1 Viewer)

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Hi, all. I'm looking for insights/opinions on which of these two would best suit my needs, or if there's another alternative I should look at.

My room is 14.5 x 23 x 9 (~3000 cu ft) on the second floor, open on one side to the rest of the house. I'm looking for a sub that will be tight & accurate at lower volume levels (for when the family is home), and one that can also go all out when they are out. Listening is 80/20 HT/Music.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Minesh. You kind of sound like someone els that I know. Both subs mentioned are very good/capable subs. If it were my decision to make I would try to take a little more of a hit in the pocket book and go with a PB2+ considering your description of your room and the performance you are looking for. Imo it would serve you well long term and give you what your looking for.

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I guess I should have mentioned a budget - I'd like to spend no more than $1300 for the sub, delivered. I would also consider used.

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
For that kind of money, if you do not mind a tube, I would think about the Hsu TN1220 with the Hsu 500watt amp.

Great clean and tight bass with great SPL capability as well.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
My leaky room is 2880 cubic feet. If I tune two of my 25-31CS+'s to the 20 hz option they still do very well and have the headroom that I need. Being that the PB2+ is just a hair under dual 25-31CS+'s in performance. I think you would fair out just fine in the 20 hz tune option on the PB2+. Lots of users are doing it and have no problem. You would also be able to run it in it's stock tune when you decided to do a little db racing when the family is gone. Be carful of your neighbors though ;)

WayneO

Supporting Actor
My PB2+ at 20hz in a 3000^3 room can handle any volume I listen at without strain. If you plan on staying at the 25hz tune, I think you could stay with the ISD, if you want to tune it lower possibly, get the PB2+. Hell, you got $1300, spend it all and get the PB2+, you'll never look back. I'll even throw a bone for the Hsu since they cry about the wolf-packing of SVS owners at this forum over at their own. If you want a "musical" sub that looks great, and bests all others on accuracy, get the Hsu.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
It will be hard to beat the performance/cost ratio of the PB2-ISD....but I too would love to hear an evaluation of the New MK2 sub.My gut tells me the PB2-ISD would best the HSU in the SPL department...but that new VTF-3MK2 sure looks good...and if it sounds better than the VTF-3...we may be splitting hairs?

steve nn...I want pictures when #4 arrives!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I think I remember reading about a guy over at AVS who had dual TN1220 and then got a PB2+. Maybe you can do a search for his post and read about his impressions.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
steve nn I want pics when #4 arrives!

You certainly will Mike, I assure you. In fact I even have entertained the idea of incorporating your name in the Thread header;) Sorry about that.

I'm still waiting on your review on the PB2+ versus the VTF-3 though. I want the whole scoop and nothing but the scoop, so help me God or should I say Mike.

Minesh something WayneO said that ringed very true with me was that: quote> "you'll never look back".. Isn't that what we really want? As focused as we are in this bass endeavor it takes absolute performance to quench.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I should have the PB-2 Plus any day now....I have just received 3 DVD-A music discs from AIX Records. If you have not heard anything from them yet...you will be in for a shock....I have NEVER heard any "high-res" music that even comes close to the sonic perfection that this studio is producing. All of their albums are pristine new 24-bit, 96 kHz sampled digital recordings, not past classics remixed for 5.1. These recordings have been made specifically with surround in mind, performed essentially live, and the result is nothing short of "mind-blowing."
(www.aixrecords.com)...will be great to use this material to judge "musicality" between the 2 subs. I have already had the opportunity to listen to both the VTF-3 and the SVS 25-31PC-Plus side by side...so this should be interesting to find out how the "box" version of 2 of those drivers compares to "2" VTF-3's. From customer feedback...it appears that the PB2-Plus holds it's own against the dual Ultra setup (HT Spot review)...kinda scary! I wish I had the Widescreen Review mag where John Kotches reviewd the PB2-plus...as of yet, I am not a paid subscriber...it must be posted on the net somewhere?
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Minesh Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Can you give me a quick rundown of your opinion on the HSU vs. SVS?

Also, what did you buy from AIX - it sounds intriguing (pardon the pun).

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Heck Mike! I didn't think you already had it on the way. I think I feel you closing in? So the PB2+ is already in transit... Well good deal then and it sounds like you have some great material to do your comparison. I'll take your word for it and check out AIX also.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks