What's new

How To Screens (1 Viewer)

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
I just purchased my projector and am currently working on my screen. I wanted a screen that was 45 x 80. So I built a frame that was 51 X 86 that way I could put a 3" inch black band around the screen. I used blackcloth like RON-P had suggested and it worked great. Now that I have gotten this far I was wondering what now? I know many of you have painted your screen so I am looking for any suggestions or help. Also any links to previous threads would help too.

Ron-P I know you painted your screen and you got the paint from Home Depot but I can't fiond the thread talking about it.

Also I am sitting 11' to 12.5" from my screen depending on where my seating is. Since my screen is already made what are thoughts on the size of it? If it is too big can I use the felt mattes I am going to make to make it smaller?

Brandon
R

Brian.Huep

Agent
I am interested also. I just ordered the Panny 200U and I will be about 13-14 feet from a screen about your size. I am going to make it 52x92 external frame. I think being close gives the emersion effect, but not sure what's too close yet.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I used various paints as a test from mixtures of Behr Silver Stag, Pearlescent, Chromiance/gray. In the end, I used Tremco Aluminium spray paint and that worked best for me in my tests. Mind you, I am using formica as my screen base and not material. If you are going to paint with a roller, there is a product that you add to the paint so that it goes on smoother without thinning it.

BrandonR

Stunt Coordinator
Any idea what that product is Neil? I did check out your how to screen because we are using the same projector but it was easier for me to go the cloth route to build my screen. What type of things have you done with your Sony vw11 did you do to tweak and enhance the picture and colors. In general to make the picture look its best.

Thanks
Brandon R

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I had my 11HT calibrated by Michael C aka Michael TLV. He did the grayscale adjustments. I have not spent a whole lot of time tweaking, except via AVIA. Eventually, I want to have the entire front soundstage in black, maybe the entire room but it will have to wait.

MikeWh

Second Unit
Any idea what that product is Neil?
I'm guessing Neil's referring to a paint conditioner. It's sometimes called a retarder. I use it in special projects (like faux finishing and artistic painting), but have never used it in larger jobs (like walls). Conditioner is intended to increase the drying time of the paint, so that you can even out the paint job (with rolling) or work with the paint longer (like for blending in faux finishes or artistic work). If you have troubles maintaining a wet edge (even in a small job like a screen), then you might want to try it.

My only concerns with using it-- make sure that you thoroughly mix the appropriate amount of conditioner into the paint. Otherwise, you might be defeating the purpose of the conditioner-- it may leave an inconsistent surface. If you add too much, the paint just won't dry!

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
There's a great thread on AVS here that uses a mix of Behr silver, Behr glaze and a small amount of white base. Its what I'm now using and although it takes a bit of practice it can be applied fairly easily with a small foam roller directly onto black out cloth. When I compare my screen samples from Stewart and Dalite I prefer my screen to the DaLite high contrast cinema vision and there's really very little difference between mine and the stewart greyhawk. The firehawk looks stunning but at the cost it goes for it better:D

The addative they were talking about is called flotrol (not sure on spelling) but basically it slows down drying to allow the paint to level out. I didn't use it and my screen turned out fine. I found one trick is to paint the screen with the screen leaned up against the wall so that any drip won't fall on the screen but on the floor. With the silver paint doing touch ups is a lesson in futility so avoid drips at all costs. I tried spraying with a wagner but I could never get a thin enough uniform coat so altough a high volume low pressure spray is likely the best tool it isn't necessarily the only workable solution. I have a few photo's of my screen that I hope to get up on the website soon.

Here's what you'll need

Paints

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Yes, Floetrol is the name of the product. It basically makes the paint act more like an oil based product and results in easier application without streaks.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Brandon, I used Lowe's Valspar Gray Plank Interior Flat (code: 101-21.5, 107-1, 116-1).

HERE is the thread.

Peace Out~:D

MikeWh

Second Unit
[edit]
AVS thread answered my questions.... nice thread.

Now... since I tend to prefer DLP to LCD, none of this gray/metallic paint issue concerns me anyway! :D

My father-in-law painted his DIY screen with Behr flat white. Looks great with his DLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks