What's new

How to record a 6+ hour radio broadcast.. (1 Viewer)

DaveMcS

Second Unit
the Offical radio affliate of the New England Patriots is rebroadcasting their coverage of the SuperBowl complete with halftime show and post game coverage. This will end up running 6 or more hours (maybe)

Any ideas on how to record this with either a PC..or some other HT unit?

I was thinking of running a line out from the tuner (receiver) to the audio in jacks on our VCR and simply taping the audio on a VHS cassette. If I run it on SLP I should get close to the whole broadcast.

Then maybe take it to a local "dubber" and have them runa DVD copy for in sometime in the future...but that's a topic for another thread.

Can anyone think of another way to record this?

Thanks

Dave

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Using your VCR is a viable and good solution because you can have up to 8 hours, plus, if your VCR is a 4 head hi-fi unit, the audio quality would be pretty good. Go for it.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i second the vhs option.

it'll be quick and easy to do, plus you'll get 8hrs of near cd-quality (if you've got a hi-fi vcr).

i used to make party-mixes onto vhs...sound quality was really good.

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
The VCR ideas are good, but it's also easy to do it with a PC. Music players like MusicMatch Jukebox have the ability to record form the line-in jack, which is on the back of nearly all PCs. It's usually one of three jacks that go together (speakers/headphone out, line in, microphone in).

Find a radio with a phono jack output. If it's stereo, get a Y-connector from Radio Shack. The PC's input won't be a phono jack, but a mini plug. Radio Shack has the right kind of cable or adapter for that, too.

Then start up the recording software, and you're set, as long as you have enough disk space.

Some programs can convert to MP3 on the fly, which is a good idea for this sort of material.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Careful with PC... 7 hours of PCM audio would probably weigh in at 5 gigs- and FAT32 has a 4 gig filesize limit. You;d have to be on NTFS in order to have it work. Not to mention, converting to MP3 might take forever if you did it as one giant file.

Some can record to MP3 on the fly, be even so it is pretty processor intensive- so you will be running high CPU cycles for 7 solid hours- in WIN98 I'd expect a crash.

I would recommend VHS- and then you could dump it to MP3 cdr later, in sections if you wanted to.

-Vince

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
VHS can work fine. I have found, though, with older VCRs you may need to have the TV on so the VCR can track properly. I had a problem with that many years ago on an older VCR.
That said, do you have a TiVO? I have heard some people have fed their A/V outputs into the TiVO to record radio.....
Or this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005T7G1/qid%3D1013199867/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F0%5F1/002-3708470-0770402
of course that's no good if what you are trying to do is get Gil Santos' call of the game......

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Hmm, I wonder if it actually would take all that long to compress a 5 gig sound file to MP3...
Just compressing one CD is 640 MB or so of data and that doesn't take very long at all. I mean, relatively speaking.
Does MP3 have any size limitations, anyone know?
I wouldn't try it on any non-Win NT/2K/XP system though if in the windows world. I would also use a serious wave file handling program instead of the built-in stuff like that voice recorder joke. ;) CoolEdit perhaps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks