What's new

how many of you actually USE the Denon warranty? (1 Viewer)

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
I will never buy from an unauthorized dealer, there's just to many negatives. Just think about all the product 'bug' patches that are free, as long as you bought from an authorized dealer. Even the unauthorized dealers don't have access to these firmware fixes because the upgrades are usually done factory direct!
Excellent point! I hadn't thought of that, but as AV Receivers get decked out with more "computer style" chips and connectors (USB connectors in the 45tx, and the 232 port many already have), tweaks or upgrades to the unit could be made through downloads off of the internet. With the way Denon is, when they put more upgradable features on these things, Denon could require a legitimate serial number to get the upgrade.

TomH

Second Unit
Its obvious that warranty for any new product is critical and factory support is far superior to second party or local shops. This is the reason that Denon should clean up this questionable "authorized dealer" "maybe you have a warranty" fiasco.

If Denon insists on playing this game then they should make an effort to control their product. There is nothing wrong with the "authorized" dealer format if it is fair and credible to both the consumer and dealer. There is no excuse for so much product in the hands of non-authorized dealers. Denon simply cannot afford to adopt a real, enforced, "authorized" dealer program because it does not fit their mass-market strategy. Moving to a true controlled distribution model would result in a massive sales loss. They must court both markets and are using warranty as a hammer.
Products purchased new, factory sealed, with warranty card from any manufacturer should be covered by warranty. The burden should not be placed on the consumer. Cases of grey market or missing/altered serial numbers should be refused by the customer and the manufacturer should investigate and close these distribution channels even if it means losing dealers and profit.

Jamey F

Stunt Coordinator
Of course, I think we can all agree if there is going to be a new, in box product with all warranty information and serial numbers in tact, there should be a warranty. And, while I'm on it, it shouldn't matter if you sell it to your friend. The warranty should follow the machine, not end with the original buyer.

Paul Fa

Stunt Coordinator
AustinKW and others,
I've been looking into getting a new receiver in the $1,000 range. I've pretty much narrowed my search down to the following receivers in order of preference: Denon 3803, Pioneer 45tx and Marantz Sr7300. I was not aware that the mass market versions of the Denon line were EXACTLY the same internally. Is there absolutely no difference other than warrantee period? Is the 1082 priced much less than the 3802? If so, I might reconsider my options and just buy a much cheaper 1082 and live without some of the nicer (but not necessarily have-to-have) features of the 3803! Can you point me to other threads that have discussed the 3802/1082 issue for more info?
Thanks!

AustinKW

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Paul,

The mass-market versions of the Denon products are CURRENTLY identical to the Authorized Dealer versions with the noted exception of the warranty period. Additionally, it is my understanding that the mass-market version is supported by Denon's factory warranty (1 year only) REGARDLESS of the source - Sears, mail order, Internet retailer or even eBay seller. You should, of course, check this out with Denon before committing to a purchase.

I stress "currently" above because I fully expect Denon to begin "de-contenting" the mass-market products in the not-too-distant future. It makes good business sense to do so. The mass-market is relatively insensitive to quality and features whereas the Dealer market thrives on just these attributes. Denon has already effectively differentiated the product via the separate distribution channels and support mechanisms. Further differentiation can only be achieved through varying the product features.

Paul, please check the 3803 manual on Denon's website. If I recall correctly the manual is titled to apply to both the 3803 and the 1083. This strongly suggests that a mass-market version of the 3803 was (or is) planned. Call Denon and/or some of their mass-marketers to see if you can get pricing and availability of the 3803 clone. As I recall, the price difference between the 3802 and the 1082 was roughly $200 (best Authorized vs. best eBay). Good luck.

Austin

Brae

Supporting Actor
I would first simply consider reading this, and then follow that blurb up with going here to find a dealer that can sell you something that Denon forwards as an authorized agent.
This should be simple (one would think) ... if they seller can be located in Denon's Dealer locator then anything they sell you stands a good chance of being covered under a Denon warranty. Otherwise, there is a good chance you are SOL.
This can be said for ALL manufacturers, and if you are not sure spend the dollar and call them for clarification. Its better to spend that dollar now then a lot more than a dollar finding you are left out in the cold. :D

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I've been buying Denon equipment since 1987, and after 15 pieces, I've yet to have a warranty problem with any of them. EVERY SINGLE piece I've ever purchased is still in operation, either with me or with friends that purchased my hand-me-downs.
My CD player, a DCD-1500II, was the first piece I purchased in 1987, and it's starting to skip here and there, and I replaced the door belt and hub myself back in '95. I've had to crack open a few remotes for cleaning after 5-7 years, as well.

But, still going. Every piece.

Todd

Brae

Supporting Actor
Todd, its too bad your experiences are not the rule and that no Denon owner has ever had a problem. But, Denon is no different than any other manufacturer and occasionally a problem creeps up. Still, it is good to hear of your good fortune.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
interesting... all these replies and we haven't seen anyone who actually USED the warranty... yet....

anyone????

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I HAVE!!!:)
I overworked an AVR-65 (70wpc x 6)and blew the system. I sent it to the factory authorized repair place with receipt 14 months after purchase (2 year warrenty) and they fixed it and returned it when they said they would.
It is now in my bedroom and I have a far better system in the theater room, but I was very impressed with their warranty.

Scott Barnhart

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
Well, I have bought 3 pieces of Denon gear in my life, and 2 of them have needed warranty service:
1) Denon DCM-460 5-CD changer. Purchased 8 years ago from an authorized dealer. After a while, pressing "Disc Skip" would no longer turn the platter to the next disc. Fixed under warranty. (Same problem is recently back however).
2) Denon AVR-3600 AV-Receiver. Purchased 7 years ago from an authorized dealer. Has never had a problem in its life and is still my main receiver.
3) Denon Single-disc CD player purchased in Germany about 8 or 9 years ago for my Mother-in-Law (can't remember the model #). Developed a playback problem, and was fixed under (Denon Germany) warranty.
So my experience is that I will probably never again purchase a Denon CD player, but I really, REALLY want to purchase a 5803 someday! :)

NateF

Stunt Coordinator
Purchased a 3801 two years ago from a walk-in authorized retailer, haven't had a single problem. The nice thing about this retailer is that they have a great trade-in policy. If you trade in the used piece with all parts complete with box, they'll give you full retail towards your next purchase. That was my #1 reason for shopping there, even though I could have gotten the receiver for $200-$300 less online through an unauthorized dealer. I figured the security of the warranty and the trade-in policy were well worth it.

-Nate

Tony Genovese

Supporting Actor
interesting... all these replies and we haven't seen anyone who actually USED the warranty... yet....
Since you asked...I owned an 1802 receiver that blew up after 3 months. (It basically caught fire). Took it to my authorized B&M dealer and 5 minutes later I was walking out with a brand new 1802. Would this qualify as USING the warranty? I think so. Try this with your online dealers and see how far you get.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Brae,

I'd bet that my experience is the rule. Keep in mind, we mostly only hear about the bad, not the good, especially on boards like these.

Bill_D

Supporting Actor
I know the responses so far cannot be used scientifically to predict rain on a rainy day but all of the warranty work reported so far has been from authorized dealers.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
I know the responses so far cannot be used scientifically to predict rain on a rainy day but all of the warranty work reported so far has been from authorized dealers.
i totally agree, i'd like to hear some horror stories though... make me spend more $$!

Phil Mays

Second Unit
I totally agree with NateF. I purchase locally fom a specialty shop. They also will credit my previous purchase towards upgraded equiptment. Sometimes I do not get full credit and sometimes I do. However, if anything goes wrong, their there.

Also they ask me not to send in any warrenty papers at purchase as I can later and extend the warrenty.

I was so impressed with the warrenty work done that my next purchas will be the Denon 5800 upgraded or 5803.

Todd Christ

Stunt Coordinator
Also they ask me not to send in any warrenty papers at purchase as I can later and extend the warrenty.
interesting how Denon isn't targeting this activity... this would seem just as bad as the issues they are already dealing with... right?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks