how many of you actually USE the Denon warranty?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Todd Christ, Jan 2, 2003.

1. Todd Christ

Todd Christ Stunt Coordinator

I see posts all the time about DON'T BUY FROM NON-DENON AUTHORIZED RETAILERS - I'm interested in the 1803 and 2802 but am a bit hesitant because everyone is afraid of losing their warranties???!?!?!?

How often do these things die!?!?

2. Todd Christ

wow - so 36 viewers so far haven't used the warranty? hmm...
    i wonder how long this will go... maybe i CAN save $100 [​IMG]

3. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

No, the views are only showing how many thought the post was an interesting question. I am a perfect example of someone that found your question interesting, but don't even own a Denon product. [​IMG]

4. Todd Christ

2 points for Brae [​IMG]

5. MarcVH

MarcVH Second Unit

I bought a 3802, from an Internet authorized dealer, and haven't had occasion (yet, anyway) to need the warranty. With the lower-cost units the warranty becomes less important, because the amount of $$$ risking is lower and the relative cost and hassle of shipping becomes greater.

6. Todd Christ

marc - that makes total sense to me, i can see the guys spending $2500 on a unit worrying about the warranty, but in today's "throw away" mentality, and with everyone buying new equpment every 12-18 months - i'm curious as to why people believe in paying top dollar for stuff over $500 anymore...

how many folks have had to use the warranty?

7. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Todd, as much as I like my receiver I am waiting on an RA replacement from the manufacturer under warranty. I doubt I would have had such luck via the Internet as this was the manufacturer's decision to replace the unit instead of telling me to have someone repair it.

I paid 30% less than the list price for the unit in question. Would I have had similar luck with Denon? Probably so, but only through a local dealer. So, I suppose the moral of the story would be the Internet offered an additional savings of $175 over the $400 I got off list. But discovering that I had a problem presents a major event that others should be considering and ready to address.

I do love the online pricing, but this would have meant I would had to have sell the unit as defective for less than the Internet price (as the buyer buying online knows he is not getting a warranty like a used unit being bought from me), and then I'd have to buy another unit.

It really comes down to how much are you willing to save in order to offset the future potential costs of a problem. I suppose the good thin, here, is that probably most of the online purchases result in good equipment being problem free for a good period of time. But, you'll hate to be the sap that gets the defective unit, hehe, which I hate being IT this time.

8. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Todd, as much as I like my receiver I am waiting on an RA replacement from the manufacturer under warranty. I doubt I would have had such luck via the Internet as this was the manufacturer's decision to replace the unit instead of telling me to have someone repair it.

I paid 30% less than the list price for the unit in question. Would I have had similar luck with Denon? Probably so, but only through a local dealer. So, I suppose the moral of the story would be the Internet offered an additional savings of $175 over the $400 I got off list. But discovering that I had a problem presents a major event that others should be considering and ready to address.

I do love the online pricing, but this would have meant I would had to have sell the unit as defective for less than the Internet price (as the buyer buying online knows he is not getting a warranty like a used unit being bought from me), and then I'd have to buy another unit.

It really comes down to how much are you willing to save in order to offset the future potential costs of a problem. I suppose the good thin, here, is that probably most of the online purchases result in good equipment being problem free for a good period of time. But, you'll hate to be the sap that gets the defective unit, hehe, which I hate being IT this time.

9. Jamey F

Jamey F Stunt Coordinator

I just purchased the 3803 from an authorized internet dealer just in case. I have a business gold AMEX so I will BVG to get a bit of change back. With $1000 at risk, I felt warranty was a safety net I needed. I agree about as the product becomes cheaper, warranty becomes more and more irrelevant.

Take for instance a mid-level progressive scan DVD player that used to be around $400-500 (unauthorized/authorized). Now something that outperforms/offers more features than that unit is available for around $200 after rebate. If you purchased just for warranty on that piece it might be $500. Considering the time, effort, and shipping costs two ways, you'd be hard pressed to say you were better off spending the extra $100 up front.

10. TomH

TomH Second Unit

Here are some current comparisons of "authorized" retail vs on-line. "authorized"/Etailer, Difference or warranty cost.

1803 $499/$357 $142.00

2802 $799/$476 $323.00

5803 $4295/$2995 $1300.00

As you can see the warranty cost is more than $100 on even the lower level products. The whole Denon "authorized dealer"/warranty policy is an enigma. You may want to simply consider a manufacturer who does not play these games.

11. Todd Christ

interesting TomH....

i found the lowest prices on CrazyEddie.com
    1803 for $332 w/$59 2 year warranty

that's still more than $100 off including a 24-month warranty! an who's going to pay more than $100 for this receiver in 2 years?!?!

i understand - caveat emptor, but the real deal is when the bill hit's your pocketbook...

12. AustinKW

AustinKW Stunt Coordinator

If you're looking to buy Denon equipment from the Internet and you're not willing to pay for the Authorized Dealer cachet, go with the equivalent mass-market product.

Denon dual-supplies all their low and mif-fi products. The mass-market versions have a one-year warranty rather than the two-year warranty but are IDENTICAL to the dealer line products. The owner's manuals even reference both units.

So:

1802 = 882
    1803 = 883
    2802 = 982
    3802 = 1082
    3803 = 1083 (I haven't yet seen this one available)

Do an internet search on these mass-market versions of the product you're looking for and you should be all set. Note, the Denon warranty on these boxes are INDEPENDENT of the retail outlet (Sears, xxx Warehouse, eBay, etc.)

Good luck.

Austin

13. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

In the past, I have purchased three Denon models(3802, 5802 and a DVM-3700) from unauthorized dealers and have never had a problem.

14. Todd Christ

so are the 3 digit models possibly of a lesser quality of the same 4 digit models? hence the reduced warranty time? who has a 3 digit model? i'm really curious as to the ratio of returns...

15. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

16. Tony Genovese

Tony Genovese Supporting Actor

17. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

If you are buying unauthorized, at least make sure the place you buy from will take the unit back if it breaks within say 30 days. Generally with products such as receivers or amps which do not have moving parts, if it passes 30 days it is going to last as long as you need it. CD players and DVD players are a different story since they do have moving parts, but I still have a Denon 5 disc changer that works perfectly after about 6 years of use.

J

18. Sean L

Sean L Stunt Coordinator

19. Todd Christ

20. Brae

Brae Supporting Actor

Todd, your CPU analogy is much more applicable then the gem analogy. I say this, because when someone buys a slower processor and runs it faster they are throwing as much caution to the wind as someone buying an unwarranted product online, on the black market, etc.

When a consumer buys a gem that has invisible flaws to the naked eye they are not going to worrying about it suddenly breaking apart, turning green, etc. That gem will most likely not change in the next 500 years to be concerned with something they cannot discern.

Of course, if someone buys electronics online and it develops a condition that also cannot be discerned is there a problem? Kinda like the tree falling in the forest and no one there to hear it fall.

But, we are talking about a condition in which manufacturers make claim that they have no control over product in unauthorized channels being sold. That's hogwash! I can no more buy a 1,000 Honda and resell them as new than anyone else not a legitimate Honda dealer. And, if Denon (only as an example and not exclusively picking them out of a crowd) has two eyes and sees someone product as new they, too, can file a suit against those unauthorized resellers (under the auspices that its being sold as new, when its not).

Of course, I have a sneaking suspicion that these kinds of manufacturers deliberately take advantage of consumers by allowing a second division of revenue stream by allowing unwarranted product to make it to the consumer. Their excuse regarding manipulated serial numbers is valid, but not to the extent that they would lead you to believe (on hundred and thousands of units in each model). That's, IMHO, BS!

Oh course, the choice is ours, as consumers, to save a buck here or there and not expect, and certainly not ASSUME, that they are buying in the most protected way known. If you are not sure, cannot find it (protection/warranty) in writing by the manufacturer then assume the worse and be-safe, not stupid.

All it takes is a phone call or email to get the dang answer as to whether your butt is covered or not. With this known, then you know where your crossroad is sitting at and a decision you will with in front of you.