What's new

how many of you actually USE the Denon warranty? (1 Viewer)

skip_o

Auditioning
Well,well,well..I have been considering the purchase of an 5803 from Etronics or BuyDig for some time now.Total cost around $3100. With tax that is about a $1500 savings. I'm wondering is it worth it. Even if I did need a repair it would still be cheeper to pay out of pocket. Also both of these etailer offer extended warranties from date of purchase from Mack and Phillips. I have called both companies and they are ligit. But I'm still on the fence. I guess it comes down to if I buy from retail the price is just to high and I would have to buy a lower priced model.BUT I WANT THE 5803!. Oh well guess I'll sleep on it another night

skip_o

Auditioning
Ya,I can see your point. I wonder though,how much more can they put into these things that I would really need(maybe an idea for a new thread?.) Of course I have been thinking this same thing since I first bought my first Fisher reciever way back in 1968. Personally if I had bought a 5800 a couple of years ago and then I had to spend $800 to upgrade to the 5803 I would'nt real happy about it anyway.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Skip,
I don't think you would really save $1,500.
List on the 5803 is $4,300. You should be able to get up to a 20% discount locally if the shop wants the sale. Also do you have to pay shipping on that beast as it weighs about 70 lbs? If you do have a problem you have to pay the shipping to the other repair service and only hope the repair will be as little as you have indicated. You will also have to be somewhat confident that the warranty service you would have to purchase was from a company that will not file chapter 11 leaving you holding the bag. If you buy authorized and your local shop goes under you still get Denon's repair center service.
Just food for thought
;)

skip_o

Auditioning
What dealer have you found that will give you a 20% discount?.I live in the Atlanta area and can only get them to come down 5%. Said that Denon will not allow them to cut price and would lose there authorized dealer licence. As for warranty service Mack has been in serivce for years and is one of the biggest warranty providers. That being said still have not ordered!.

Chad Linder

Auditioning
Great thread! I will not add to the warranty debate as you guys have covered all the major points. I will say I bought the AVR-2801 in 2000 from Crazy Eddie's for something in the range of $450. Retail was 799 IIRC. Now I remember thinking for weeks should I buy cheap and take my chances or pay MSRP at HighFiBuys and be insured. Well I took the plunge and bought from Crazy Eddie. (They confirmed they were not authorized, but said the warranty was still valid.) I figured they were bs'ing me about the warranty, but I had already made up my mind to buy from them anyway.

I still have that 2801 and have used it everyday for 3 years with no problems. For me the risk paid off, but if it had broke in 6 months, I would be wishing I had paid full price. Now when I bought the 2801 I was just out of school, married, new job, etc (not much money) Now I am financially more stable (maybe a bit wiser) so when I buy my next Denon(I am so happy with my 2801, my next receiver will probably be the 38xx or 48xx series) maybe I will go to a B&M because:

a)I am buying a way more expensive unit and want it protected

and

b)I am now in a position to financially buck up and pay MSRP even though I know I could get it for 25-30% cheaper at an etailer.

I guess what I'm saying is life is all about choices and risks. You do what you feel you need to at the time of your purchase.

Chad

Jim_Leech

Auditioning
Quote..."The mass-market versions of the Denon products are CURRENTLY identical to the Authorized Dealer versions with the noted exception of the warranty period. Additionally, it is my understanding that the mass-market version is supported by Denon's factory warranty (1 year only) REGARDLESS of the source - Sears, mail order, Internet retailer or even eBay seller..."

FYI ... and I am just repeating what I read because I ma in the market for a 2802. The following is a cut and paste from audioreview.com:

BEGIN CUT AND PASTE
-------------------
I just wanted to let anyone who is looking at this receiver know what the difference is. I spent a good hour trying to find a difference between the 982 and 2802, and finally I noticed that the 982 is 135 Watts into 6 Ohm only, whereas the 2802 is 90 Watts into 8 Ohm and 135 Watts into 6 Ohm. Having discovered this, I decided the 2802 would better suit my needs (I don't have 6 Ohm speakers to match the 982). Just trying to clear up any confusion for other shoppers.

END CUT AND PASTE
------------------

According to this person they are not IDENTICAL. Before I get flamed I am not saying he is right because I have NO IDEA just passing along what I read.

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks