What's new

How good is the av12? (1 Viewer)

dave alan

Second Unit
Dan,

The model used in the shootout was the MX 1500a, FYI.

Tom,

"I'm not talking about referring me to some forum where some guy knows some guy [who] told [him] [he] knows someone in the industry who said "this"."

It seems to me that you're awfully forgiving of this sort of sarcasm only when it comes from yourself directed at anyone else. Certainly, I haven't observed the same forgiveness from you when the shoe is on the other foot.

Of course, I could have misinterpretted the above quote.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Ron and Tom,

As I had originally stated, if any information was incorrect that I had posted, I appologize. Someone specifically asked how the AV12 compared to the dB12. I had not intended to harm your company in any way. I did not think I was doing anything wrong by posting information that was correct to the best of my knowledge. I even stated in the post that if something was stated wrong I would like TV to correct me.

My information came from several sources including the designer of the stamped steel frame used in the woofer who I know quite well, and a customer with an actual dB12 driver, among others. I am still 99% positive my information was correct. However I removed it out of respect for TV. We have known each other for awhile now and were on the same side in quite a few debates. In the future if something is said that is offensive to you, please feel free to contact me directly and I will correct it. There is no need to go through someone else.

Finally, in my defense, I was remembering back to the days when TV and Brian from VMPS got into a debate about subwoofer performance. TV posted facts and offered parameters and modeling to anyone who wanted proof of his claims. At that point SVS was more than willing to disclose information to prove their designs. That is the main reason I believed it was ok to post that information. Based on the way things were done in the past, I figured the information was basically public knowledge for anyone who would ask for it.

Again, my appologies.

Now back to the topic of "how good is the av12?" I will have data at the end of the month hopefully from Tom Nousaine. I will be taking several subwoofers to him to measure, two with AV12's. The first will be a MiniThunder alignment. The AV12 and dual 12" PR's in the small 16" cube. The second will be the Thunder12 alignment. The AV12 with dual 15" PR's in a 3 cubic foot enclosure. Both will have 500W amps in them. At that point you can look at the data and judge for yourself.

John

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
"As you can imagine, with a growing business and a number of jobs at stake, we are not interested in what may or may not be correct proprietary data concerning our products to be published, without our permission, and certainly not by a competitor. This is doubly true when the information is not even fully correct naturally."

Hmm then maybe you should build your own inhouse drivers and
keep the dumax measuremens uber top secret so no one in the
DIY world will know the truth!

*shakes head*

Dave Crigna

Stunt Coordinator
You know some people around here need to take a chill pill.

John, thank for posting the info you did before and after the edited version. As far as the samson issue goes, well as everyone else has said, just talk with the musicians or people in the live sound industry and you soon find out what the word is. They are not the worst but far from the best. They are average. They are cheap on a watts/dollar ratio and do have very quiet fans.

Dan is right 100% about this forum being an exchange of info and ideas. And, when things need to be clarified they are done, as Ron and tom did. We are all adults here. Lets, leave it at that. There was no malicious intent.

My hats off to John J., Dan W, Ron & Tom, who are professionals in the field ( just off the top of my head) that take the time to share there thoughts and ideas with us. Please keep it coming.

Just my .02$

Gary Griffiths

Auditioning
Dan (and others)

Thanks for your opinions, based on the review in StereoTimes and the good press on this forum I was tempted by the Crown K2, however I will look into the QSC range as suggested.

Dan Hine

Screenwriter
Gary,

Anytime! Look into all your options, I like QSC but the K2 is no slouch. With any of the lines I mentioned you really cannot go wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks