What's new

TB W3-871s hometheater done (pics) (1 Viewer)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,

I just finished 4 surrounds and a center with the TB W3-871s driver. The mains and surrounds are 2L ported tuned to around 90hz, and the center is around 5L ported also tuned to 90hz, with one driver rolled off per Jim Griffin's recommendation (basically an Elph 1.5 clone).

I hooked them up to my system downstairs, and ran them wit my AV12 PR sub, and was very impressed. I don't know if there is a real benefit to using the 2 drivers for the center instead of another matching single driver, but it definitely looks cool. I think there is a bit more power handling.

These are for my sister-in-law, along with a 12" 80L sealed sub with an SVS original driver and PE 250 plate amp.

I was pleasantly surprised with how nice the PE contact vinyl worked in the end. It was a pain to trim the rounded corners and the driver holes, but it still looks pretty good.

Many thanks to Jim Griffin and Brian Bunge, who answered lots of questions and got me headed in the right direction!

Wes

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,

I didn't do any baffle step or anything on the mains- I checked into it, but Jim Griffin, the guys at RAW acoustics, and Brian Bunge all felt they were fine without it, and I was trying to keep the cost down and keep things simple. The cool thing is that I could build all five speakers for well under $100 (not counting my time, but as a hobby, I enjoy the change of pace. . .)

Matt,

I used 3/4" MDF all around, so my finished dimensions on the mains are 7.5" high, 5.5" wide, 6.5" deep. They are pretty much similar to Brian's micros with an extra .5" on each side because I wasn't using 1/2" MDF

Thanks, guys,

Wes

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
They look good!:emoji_thumbsup:
I've got a pair of tbs coming and I'm building a center back channel using Jim's parameters.

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
under a 100$ ????? can you give us some details? these are absolutely beautiful, i think...very elegant looking...under 100$? im sorta new at this, so please forgive my amazement...can you give some specifics (why no tweeters-cost i assume, what the drivers are, etc.) i would love to build these or something similar as a first beginners DIY project...cheap + nice results=happy me :)

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Wow, those look great! All 5 for under $100!? Hmmm...this might be a good idea for my sister's dorm room next year. (I'm gonna pimp it out :D)

Anthony*B

Stunt Coordinator
oy, don't they sell them without the unfinished MDF cabinets? that's the part i can easily do myself (i think)...i shall investigate further :)

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the drivers from Neura Acoustics for $10 each.

Ports and terminal cups from PE ran about $20 or so. The "crossover" (just one inductor and resistor) for the center ran about $9. The vinyl covering from PE was $12, I think, and then the MDF. It all comes to right about $100 give or take.

I personally prefer the "form factor" of the cabinet design I used, which is really based on what Brian and Hank have done, about 2L with the port in the front. The CSS kits are nice, but I don't think they are as attractive form a purely aesthetic point of view.

For those who aren't familiar with this TB driver, it is a 3" full range driver. If you search this forum for W3-871s, you'll find frequency response plots from Al, I think, that show how nice a driver this is for the price.

These are basically idiot proof speakers to build, as there's no crossover, and the box is as simple as you want it to be. . .

Wes

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Hey,

I've already burned through the bandwidth on my "free" image hosting.

Can anybody host my pics so they can be seen again?

Thanks,

Wes

AllanRW

Second Unit
Let us see !!
5 cabinet built with scalloped front baffles all holes cut for port and terminal, kits come with all ports,screws,drivers, filling,terminals,wire for $100.00.
subtract all the parts and see what the cabinets are selling for?Almost nothing.
What is your time worth and a sheet of MDF.
You just spent more than the cabinets are being sold for in the set.
This is why.

that is why they are that price.
Yet people buy one 1.0 kit without the cabinet for $25.00 each!!!

AllanRW

Second Unit
only a small issue tune the 871 beolw 100 you getout of power at 10watts!
Tune them higher amd you will have no issue with excursion at all.

Believe me I have tried.
Took measurments with CSS cabinet as well as others and they run out of steam with very low power.
Now if you tune them low and use a set reciever.Most recievers are cut out at 100 hz anyway.New models have a few lower point to pick from 80-120 .

Al

Kevin Patterson

Stunt Coordinator
Hey i have bin contemplating making a set of these with 2 1.0s and 3 1.5s i am wondering if thhis will be loud enough for me i like watching movies fairly loud not wall vibrating earpeircing loud just moderatly loud will these be ok for me? Also should i offset the top driver on the 1.5s?
Kevin

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Allan,

I was tempted to buy the kits from you, believe me. One thing that kept me back was just shipping to the US, also I wanted to build smaller cabs, and improve my wood skills.

As far as the tuning frequency, I was quite confused running these in Unibox- it seemed any tuning (I'm pretty sure I tried your bigger box tuned higher) seemed to run out of excursion quickly at about 15 watts or so. I'm totally a novice, but pretty sure I set it up right. Of course real world testing is probably better. I set a pair of these up full range just in 2 channel music, and they seemed to do fine.

That said, I knew I was building these for my sister-in-law, and she needed a reciever also. So I opted for the smaller box tuned a bit lower, but bought an Onkyo 501 for her that has adjustable crossover to the sub at 80, 90, or 100hz. I'll try 90 first, but if that has problems, I'll go to 100, and like you said, shouldn't have trouble with them crossed over there.

I'd be curious what differences you heard in the different tunings. I'm pretty sure I'd build this size/tuning again, as I didn't run into any problems. I could always build the same volume and tune it at 100 instead of 90 I suppose. . .

That said, what I'm hoping for in many respects is that you get some business out of the interest in these speakers, and Brian, too. His are a bit more $$, but beautifully veneered in the finish of choice, and like you said yours are almost cheaper than cutting yourself!

All the best- hope your business is flourishing-

Wes

AllanRW

Second Unit
Kevin
Yes they will go very loud if tuned high.
i have them in the demo room with a Marantz 5300 reciever and the 1.0 1.5 as well asa Super Elfs do just fine when tuned properly.
Same for the Spires.
If not the excursion becomes a issue very quick.

As for the cabinet size I find a better mid with the larger cabinet still tuning that cabinet to 100plus.
You all must remember 1 thing.
These are only 3" drivers.

I have a new line with a Vifa 3" that was at the Seattle DIY event last weekend.
1" solid Maghogany Tline sweet.
I will get pics up in the am.

Al

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks