What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

How are the Dick Van Dyke sets? (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
And I sure would like to know where I'm going to get the money to buy these sets! The more I think about them the more I want them
And you are RIGHT to want them.
Don't fight it, my DVD-loving friend.
It's useless.

[Glen Jameson-induced hypnotic trance on]They MUST be purchased.
Resisting the overwhelming urge is pointless. They MUST be purchased....[/hypnosis OFF]

(You'll understand what the above refers to when you DO EVENTUALLY dig deep and get the Season 1 & 2 DVD-on-DVD boxed collections.) :)

You can still get 'em for just $47.99 each at DVD Empire. They evidently are never going to correct their incorrect MRP on these. Good deal! :emoji_thumbsup:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I sure would like to know where Nick-at-Nite got their info.
Oh, "Nick" might very well be correct on the Elizabeth thing. Beats me. It's just that I'd never heard that before. And I would have thought, if true, that the "Official" Van Dyke Show book (by V. Waldron) would have at least had a blurb about her; because that volume is quite comprehensive re. the program's history.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
BULLETIN..............

.....regarding still more previously-unannounced Bonus Features on the Season Three DVD-on-DVD set. Some additional great-sounding items are listed. These sets just keep getting better and better. Amazing! :) :emoji_thumbsup: ......

>> A FULL-LENGTH EPISODE OF "THE DANNY THOMAS SHOW",
FEATURING MOREY AMSTERDAM AS BUDDY SORRELL. (Originally aired on October 21, 1963.)

>> MTM's 1975 APPEARANCE ON DICK'S "VAN DYKE & COMPANY" SERIES.

Plus: They've added "Rare Rehearsal Footage" to the packaging.

And: I'd imagine we'll see further commercials as Easter Eggs as well.

These sets are worth twice the price we're paying! Just when you think they can't get any better, they do. :)

These unexpected extras are indeed great...but what I cannot quite understand is WHY Image doesn't want to fully advertise said bonus extras (eg: "Stump The Stars" on S.2; and now multiple appealing-sounding extras on S.3)?

Seems to me these "bonus" full-length programs (featuring TDVDS cast members) would be great selling points to advertise to potential buyers. Such "added-value" material just might sway a few people into buying who might be teetering "on the buying fence" re. these great boxed sets. It *has* to make the sets seem like a better value to consumers when they can see all the great stuff included.

These extras I mentioned here are *not* even listed on the DVD-on-DVD webpages on Image's own site. Just seems odd that they'd NOT want to promote these sets to the max.

BTW...DeepDiscount a few weeks ago dropped the S.3 price by $5.00, to an attractive $46.19 (Shipped). I'd imagine they'll perform the same price reduction for S.4 when the April 27 release date draws nearer.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
FYI (Interesting tidbits of info re. "Van Dyke & Company") .......

Just was looking up this show at IMDB.
Found some interesting nuggets of knowledge I hadn't realized heretofore...such as there evidently were TWO different "Van Dyke And Company" shows -- one just a one-time "Special" in 1975, which, based on the date given on the S.3 packaging of the DVD-on-DVD set, might be the Special in which MTM appeared. Then there's a 1976 "Series" entry. Lasted just one season.

Both of these "VD&C" shows feature Andy Kaufman in the roster of regulars. I never recall watching this show when it aired. Should be interesting to see it on the Van Dyke boxed set.

Interestingly, and somewhat curiously, Mary's appearance on VD&C is not listed anywhere in her IMDB profile. Nor is Morey's appearance on Danny Thomas' program. Which I thought was most unusual, esp. since just about *every* tiny little cameo ever made by anybody can normally be located @ IMDB.

The following webpage provides some neat info on the Danny Thomas/D. Van Dyke connection. :) .....

http://www.poobala.com/dannyanddick.html

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David, you the man for my DVD on DVD info...thanks for the heads up on the extra features, and I agree about their lack of promotion. I'd be interested in that price drop had I not already ordered the set from a local B&M.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I received season 3 a few days ago and am about halfway through the first disc. As you would expect, the image quality is as good as the first two seasons. I didn't see any easter eggs on the first DVD, but something tells me they'll be there on the other discs.

The only thing that I wish they had done differently this time is to have made it possible to chapter advance from the credits to the next episode. I'm guessing that the authoring software they used doesn't support chapter jumping from one title to another. But this is a very very minor point on a fantastic set.

-greg

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Greg - I don't have the set yet to confirm this, but on another forum someone indicated that there was an easter egg on the first disc: it is one of Dick Van Dyke's appearances as the Chairman of Nick at Night.
Remember those?

Steve

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I didn't see any easter eggs on the first DVD, but something tells me they'll be there on the other discs.
I talked last week to Paul Brownstein, who produces these DVDs, and he said that within one of the three remaining seasons, there will be another set of easter eggs, but that he couldn't say anymore. So if there are hidden extras on Season 3, that likely means there won't be any on the final two sets.

He said he hates easter eggs: If you have it, why hide it? But the material was hidden out of respect to the people involved, who expressed reservations about including them on the set, such as the cigarette ads. But being a producer--"which means I'm not afraid to beg," he said--he can't help but include it in some manner.

By the way, he told a nice anecdote about an extra on one of the upcoming sets. He was recently editing shots of Mama Cass Elliot for a heart-fund public-service announcement--a reel he had in his house for years--when he came across a forgotten sketch of Dick Van Dyke with Mama Cass. So he cleared it with Mama Cass' daughter, who owns her estate, and that will be a fun extra on one of the remaining sets.

Dick Clark also gave him permission to include the broadcast footage of Paul and Dick accepting the award for best TV DVD at the recently broadcast DVD Awards. And he's going to have a funny bit with Don Rickles remembering his guest appearance on the show.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Randy, thanks for passing along that cool info.

I'm glad that the weight won't be terribly long for the rest of the series, good job Paul and image!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Yes...thanks Randy. Sounds like some more great stuff coming. :emoji_thumbsup:

Just thought of another "Mary & Dick" show they could include as bonus material: Dick's appearance on one of MTM's short-lived variety series, "The Mary Tyler Moore Hour" (4th episode of the series; from March 25, 1979). That series featured Michael Keaton as a regular. Another of her series, called simply "Mary" (1978), co-starred both Keaton and David Letterman. I'd like to see some of those shows again too sometime.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Nobody's won the complimentary carton of "Crummy Buttons" for answering the question posed in Post #149.

The inquiry was .......

There's a writing gaffe in the Season 2 episode "It's A Shame She Married Me" (Robert Vaughn guest stars as "Jim Darling").

Can anyone tell me what this "gaffe" is?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Just noticed this interesting news (via www.thewalnuttimes.com):

>> "The Dick Van Dyke Show Revisited special will start rehearsals in early March at CBS Studio Center in Studio City, California. Set construction is already underway.

The reunion show has been written by Carl Reiner. Sam Denoff and Bill Persky, original DVDS writers and producers, will act as story consultants. The show is being produced by TV Land for CBS, with Sal Maniaci, as producer.

The special is tentatively scheduled to air on CBS in May of 2004."

DanFe

Second Unit
The shows where Dick and Laura smoke cigarettes really seem out of place, almost as if they're doing it just to do it.

Anyway, have seen about 4 of the shows in season 3. Great stuff.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The shows where Dick and Laura smoke cigarettes really seem out of place, almost as if they're doing it just to do it.
This is a sad reality of many shows of that era which were sponsored by cigarette companies.

Watch an early episode of "Perry Mason" sometime. You can't see the actors for all the cigarette smoke!

Steve

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
Nobody's won the complimentary carton of "Crummy Buttons" for answering the question posed in Post #149.
David,

I hadn't forgotten your challenge; I just reached that episode last night.

And I have no clue as to the answer, so I will re-watch. Please spoilerize if you post the answer.

I am mildy shocked at the many references to adultery, extra-marital flirtations, and divorce at this stage of the series.:eek:

Jon

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I am mildly shocked at the many references to adultery, extra-marital flirtations, and divorce at this stage of the series.
And yet we're *not* allowed to see Rob & Laura in bed together at any point in the five-year series. (They must show twin beds.)

During that era of TV, you couldn't show a man & woman in the same bed, *unless* one of the people has at least one foot on the floor. :)

The first TV couple to share the same bed was Herman & Lily Munster. *

* = Addendum --- This hunk of trivia I dug up disagrees with the Munsters' claim as being the first "single-bed" couple .....

>> "The first TV couple to share a bed was not on "The Brady Bunch" or "The Munsters," but was on "The Mary Kay and Johnny" show in 1947. It was the first situation comedy ever."

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty certain (though not 100%) that there's a couple in bed together (without feet on the floor) in the I Love Lucy episode where they are on their way to California and are in a fleabag motel and the bed moves as a train goes by. If so, that we definitely pre-date the Munsters, though not Mary Kay & Johnny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marv74BR
Recent bookmarks