What's new

Perry Mason DVD Sets - Closing Theme Music Versions? (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
For those of you that own Perry Mason on DVD, could any of you please find out which season 5-9 episodes keep their respective original broadcast closings?

The reason I am asking is because many of the season 5-9 episodes (especially the season 5-7 episodes - those with the split closing credits) were set to the season 2 version of the closing theme (consequently, many of the season 5-7 episodes had both parts of the closing theme fused together as one). For your information, I am going to show you the original versions of the affected closing themes on DVD and Me-TV:

Season 5 (1961-1962; since episode 3, "The Case of the Missing Melody")

(first season of the split closing theme, same as how The Dick Van Dyke Show, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. and the color run of Gunsmoke had ended)

Season 6 (1962-1963) and 7 (1963-1964)

(these two seasons had a longer first half and a shorter second half)

Season 8 (1964-1965)

(this season reverted back to the single long closing credits, but with an arrangement similar to the S5 version)

Season 9 (1965-1966)

(like S8, but with one repeated part)

Thank you,

Ben

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
For those of you that own Perry Mason on DVD, could any of you please find out which season 5-9 episodes keep their respective original broadcast closings?

The reason I am asking is because many of the season 5-9 episodes (especially the season 5-7 episodes - those with the split closing credits) were set to the season 2 version of the closing theme (consequently, many of the season 5-7 episodes had both parts of the closing theme fused together as one). For your information, I am going to show you the original versions of the affected closing themes on DVD and Me-TV:

Season 5 (1961-1962; since episode 3, "The Case of the Missing Melody")
(first season of the split closing theme, same as how The Dick Van Dyke Show, Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C. and the color run of Gunsmoke had ended)

Season 6 (1962-1963) and 7 (1963-1964)
(these two seasons had a longer first half and a shorter second half)

Season 8 (1964-1965)
(this season reverted back to the single long closing credits, but with an arrangement similar to the S5 version)

Season 9 (1965-1966)
(like S8, but with one repeated part)

Thank you,
Ben

As far as I can tell and/or remember all true episodes of Season 5 have the 2-part closing on the DVD. (The first two episodes on the Season 5 DVDs are holdovers from the fourth season, that's why they didn't originally have the 2-part closing credits.)

All Season 6 episodes have the phony closing with Season 2 music except The Shoplifter's Shoe* and Constant Doyle*. The Shoplifter's Shoe has the complete ending while Constant Doyle is missing the 2nd part.

All Season 7 episodes also have the phony closing with Season 2 music except The Bountiful Beauty* which is also missing the 2nd part.

As far as I can tell all Season 8 episodes have the original closing with a theme the same as Season 2 although I can't tell for sure if it's a new recording or not.

Season 9 had a new closing theme so all of those have to be the original version.

*What these three episodes have in common is that all three were featured in the 50th Anniversary DVD Set.

Also note that the closing credits of the Nebulous Nephew (Season 7) come from the episode The Sad Sicilian (Season 8).

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I have heard previously that some episodes on the DVD's have issues with the closing credits.

I just purchased the complete series DVD's, they are the original half season releases from CBS DVD. Sets are in used condition, they are not new but as long as the DVD's are all in good shape I shouldn't have any problems. Price was $79, not bad so I figured what the heck I'll go for it.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I received the Perry Mason DVD sets, discs are in great shape, glad I found this deal for $79. I wanted to have the original, half season releases because the packaging is better on those compared to the all in one release which has cheap style packaging. Planning to spend time this weekend binge watching Perry Mason.

HubbaBubbaKid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Frankie
I received the Perry Mason DVD sets, discs are in great shape, glad I found this deal for $79. I wanted to have the original, half season releases because the packaging is better on those compared to the all in one release which has cheap style packaging. Planning to spend time this weekend binge watching Perry Mason.

nice score! the good thing about the half season sets are that you know they are legit ( unless the original discs themselves were swapped out with bootlegs) bc the only legit complete series U.S. region 1 set of Perry Mason came in the set with 3 large Epik Pak cases . The ones out there that have the multiple double wide cases are boots .

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
nice score! the good thing about the half season sets are that you know they are legit ( unless the original discs themselves were swapped out with bootlegs) bc the only legit complete series U.S. region 1 set of Perry Mason came in the set with 3 large Epik Pak cases . The ones out there that have the multiple double wide cases are boots .
The half season sets I purchased are the legit releases, seasons 1 and 2 have a different packaging style from seasons 3-9. The sets are used but the previous owner handled the discs carefully because the discs look like new.

I try to avoid those all in one DVD releases from CBS DVD because of the poor quality packaging. I did purchase the all in one set of The Streets Of San Francisco but I was not happy with the packaging/disc holders so I threw them away and stored the discs in paper sleeves.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
There's a printing error on the season 8, volume 2 DVD of Perry Mason. The episode titles are correct, but the episode descriptions are the same ones from the season 7, volume 1 set. I'm surprised CBS DVD didn't recall season 8 volume 2 and correct the error.

Also strange that the "Nebulous Nephew" season 7 episode has the closing credits from the "Sad Sicilian" season 8 episode. Aside from that, the DVD's are great, spending time this weekend watching some episodes.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Good weekend to spend time watching Perry, as yesterday was Raymond Burr's birthday (May 21, 1917).

gettyimages-151236466.jpg

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I think the MeTV network might be airing Perry Mason in HD because the MeTV airings I have seen have that "soap opera effect" which I am not fond of, it doesn't look natural. I prefer having the DVD sets because standard DVD gives the shows a more natural look.

Last edited:

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
I think the MeTV network might be airing Perry Mason in HD because the MeTV airings I have seen have that "soap opera effect" which I am not fond of, it doesn't look natural. I prefer having the DVD sets because standard DVD gives the shows a more natural look.
That may be an issue with what MeTV is doing or some other configuration you have when watching from MeTV because the HD versions playing on Paramount+ via Amazon Prime have no such effect. Basically, it is the HD transfers from the film elements that CBS/Paramount did prior to the DVD releases. I am sure the DVD releases are just down-converted versions of these same HD transfers. I am currently watching season 1 right now based on what is on Paramount+ and the HD looks phenomenal. Absolutely, no soap opera effect.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
That may be an issue with what MeTV is doing or some other configuration you have when watching from MeTV because the HD versions playing on Paramount+ via Amazon Prime have no such effect. Basically, it is the HD transfers from the film elements that CBS/Paramount did prior to the DVD releases. I am sure the DVD releases are just down-converted versions of these same HD transfers. I am currently watching season 1 right now based on what is on Paramount+ and the HD looks phenomenal. Absolutely, no soap opera effect.
It could be that my eyes are not adjusted to seeing these old shows in HD, which is why I prefer the more natural looking image that standard DVD provides.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
It could be that my eyes are not adjusted to seeing these old shows in HD, which is why I prefer the more natural looking image that standard DVD provides.
That could be that you just prefer seeing them in standard definition since that is how they were originally broadcast and that is obviously an individual preference.

However, there is nothing unnatural about them in HD, there is no soap opera effect or any other negative effect, just a boost in overall detail. They were filmed like movies of the same period. Their appearance in HD is no different than a movie appearing in HD from the same period. I'm not trying to change your mind, but just adding clarification for others reading that may question the validity of classic TV shows that were originally filmed appearing in HD, without checking it out first. Most likely originally watched these shows on 19" or smaller screens. Now many are watching from 50"+ screens. If anything, the HD presentation is closer to what we perceived back then, then the softer image typically seen today with SD content on a larger screen.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
There's a printing error on the season 8, volume 2 DVD of Perry Mason. The episode titles are correct, but the episode descriptions are the same ones from the season 7, volume 1 set. I'm surprised CBS DVD didn't recall season 8 volume 2 and correct the error.

Also strange that the "Nebulous Nephew" season 7 episode has the closing credits from the "Sad Sicilian" season 8 episode. Aside from that, the DVD's are great, spending time this weekend watching some episodes.
They must have corrected it because my copy (purchased in NOV 2015) has the correct descriptions. "The Thermal Thief" begins "While Perry is in Europe..." which is correct.
If it makes a difference the barcode on my Season 8 Volume 2 copy has a yellow background, not the usual white. The set is © 2013.

Another error is crediting Wesley Lau as Lt. Anderson on Season 9 Volume 2 after correctly crediting Richard Anderson as Lt. Drumm on Volume 1.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
They must have corrected it because my copy (purchased in NOV 2015) has the correct descriptions. "The Thermal Thief" begins "While Perry is in Europe..." which is correct.
If it makes a difference the barcode on my Season 8 Volume 2 copy has a yellow background, not the usual white. The set is © 2013.

Another error is crediting Wesley Lau as Lt. Anderson on Season 9 Volume 2 after correctly crediting Richard Anderson as Lt. Drumm on Volume 1.
Thanks much for mentioning this, so there was indeed a reprint of season 8 volume 2. I just looked on ebay and found a season 8 volume 2 set with the yellow barcode, I ordered it so I can have the correct episode descriptions.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Well I had a bit of an adventure with purchasing the corrected Perry Mason season 8 volume 2 DVD set, the one with the yellow barcode on the back. The ebay seller that I first bought it from sent me the wrong item, I notified the seller and was given a refund. So then I continued shopping and found it from a different seller, I ordered it and received it today, no problems this time, all is good now. :)

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I've spent some time this weekend watching a few Perry Mason episodes from the season 5 DVD sets. So far I've watched Injured Innocent, Left Handed Liar, Shapely Shadow, and Tarnished Trademark. I thought all of these were pretty good. Next two episodes I plan to watch are Poison Pen Pal and Absent Artist. I'll try watching these tonight and see what I think.

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
I checked the Bette Davis episode of Perry Mason on one of the streamers recently, and the end credits had only the cast, not the crew (except maybe it led off with the director-writer-producer credits). I think it was that way on DVD.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I checked the Bette Davis episode of Perry Mason on one of the streamers recently, and the end credits had only the cast, not the crew (except maybe it led off with the director-writer-producer credits). I think it was that way on DVD.
As I mentioned back in Apr 2020. See post #2.😁

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks