What's new

"FilmRise TV" DVD sets? (1 Viewer)

albert_m2

Second Unit
Real Name
Albert
I'm familiar with FilmRise, but didn't know they also made DVDs until I got served a post on Facebook the other day.

...so while looking at their page, I saw them noting these two very recent releases (both on DVD before):

I hadn't heard about these releases or anything about them doing DVD stuff.

I have Shout's That Girl sets, but curious how this would compare.

Todd_Z

Agent
Real Name
Todd Zaganiacz
Was wondering the same. I have the DVD prior release set and would assume it's a carbon copy of that but unsure.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I believe FilmRise has The Danny Thomas Show, would be great if they'd issue those seasons on DVD, I'd buy 'em all.

The 5th season DVD of That Girl from Shout Factory has an edited version of the Super Reporter episode, would be curious to know if this new DVD set from FilmRise corrects that error and has the complete unedited version.

I have The Dick Van Dyke Show DVD's from Image Entertainment and I'm content with those.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I am interested in getting the new "That Girl" complete series set by filmRise but I noticed it only has 17 discs vs. the Shout factory season sets that add up to 21 discs. That's about 8 episodes on each disc. The Original Dick Van Dyke set had 25 discs but this new release has 20. Can anyone who bought this set or the Dick Van Dyke Show confirm if there is any noticeable compression from having fewer discs? I think the new box sets lack the special features so that could be one explanation on how they fit the entire series on fewer discs.

Last edited:

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I believe FilmRise has The Danny Thomas Show, would be great if they'd issue those seasons on DVD, I'd buy 'em all.

The 5th season DVD of That Girl from Shout Factory has an edited version of the Super Reporter episode, would be curious to know if this new DVD set from FilmRise corrects that error and has the complete unedited version.

I have The Dick Van Dyke Show DVD's from Image Entertainment and I'm content with those.
I just watched Super Reporter on peacock and the runtime is 26:16. The FilmRise logo pops up before each episode, if they used the same masters that they are streaming digitally then there is a possibility the new set has the uncut episode. I haven't bought the set yet though so I can't confirm for sure.

Last edited:

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I just watched Super Reporter on peacock and the runtime is 26:16. The FilmRise logo pops up before each episode, if they used the same masters that they are streaming digitally then there is a possibility the new set has the uncut episode. I haven't bought the set yet though so I can't confirm for sure.
I bought the previously-released Shout sets years ago. But I would love that uncut episode. Has anyone bought this set that can confirm it includes the uncut version of "Super Reporter"? It would be awful to spend another 50-something for the series just to have yet another edit.

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I did record the Super Reporter episode a few years ago from the Antenna TV channel, it's complete but I think Antenna time compressed/speeded it up a little so they could fit all their commercials in. I transferred the episode on to a DVD-R and put it in one of those paper DVD sleeves, and put the disc with my season 5 DVD set from Shout Factory.

I'm not positive about this but as far as I know, Super Reporter is the only episode that's edited from the Shout DVD sets. There are a few other episodes that have shorter than usual run times, but to my knowledge they are complete and just ran a little short originally.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I did record the Super Reporter episode a few years ago from the Antenna TV channel, it's complete but I think Antenna time compressed/speeded it up a little so they could fit all their commercials in. I transferred the episode on to a DVD-R and put it in one of those paper DVD sleeves, and put the disc with my season 5 DVD set from Shout Factory.

I'm not positive about this but as far as I know, Super Reporter is the only episode that's edited from the Shout DVD sets. There are a few other episodes that have shorter than usual run times, but to my knowledge they are complete and just ran a little short originally.
Thanks for the info! I noticed the tag scene is what is missing from that episode. I just saw it on streaming so I'm confident that the new dvd set will have it. I'm a completist so I will probably buy the set even just to know I have the complete series without any cuts. Good to have an extra copy of a favorite series, I guess. LOL

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
Thanks for the info! I noticed the tag scene is what is missing from that episode. I just saw it on streaming so I'm confident that the new dvd set will have it. I'm a completist so I will probably buy the set even just to know I have the complete series without any cuts. Good to have an extra copy of a favorite series, I guess. LOL
Yes, the tag scene from Super Reporter is missing on the DVD from Shout Factory, and there's a brief scene from earlier in the episode that's missing also. Since I was able to record the complete episode from Antenna TV, I think most likely I'll just stay with the DVD sets from Shout.

On the subject of The Dick Van Dyke Show, the original DVD's from Image Entertainment, some of those episodes also run a little short compared to normal but I haven't heard any reports about episodes being edited, so I imagine everything is complete.

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
I can confirm the new dvd set definitely restores the tag scene in the episode "Super Reporter". It's actually a pretty nice set. No fancy menus like the Shout Factory dvd sets. But the discs load right to a simple menu screen with a photo and listing of each episode. I didn't notice any downgrade in video quality since there are more episodes per disc. It could be my imagination but the episode "Super Reporter" may look a tad better. The end of the episode seems lighter and softer on the previous dvd set. But, like I said, could just be my imagination. Worth picking up if you are a big fan of the show and need a back-up set.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
I can confirm the new dvd set definitely restores the tag scene in the episode "Super Reporter". It's actually a pretty nice set. No fancy menus like the Shout Factory dvd sets. But the discs load right to a simple menu screen with a photo and listing of each episode. I didn't notice any downgrade in video quality since there are more episodes per disc. It could be my imagination but the episode "Super Reporter" may look a tad better. The end of the episode seems lighter and softer on the previous dvd set. But, like I said, could just be my imagination. Worth picking up if you are a big fan of the show and need a back-up set.
Thanks for the info! I went ahead and ordered mine a few days ago on amazon but it's been delayed in transit a for a few days now. Glad to hear that it has the uncut episode!

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Silly question but wouldn't it be more economical to DVDR the one episode rather than buy the full series?

Robert13

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Silly question but wouldn't it be more economical to DVDR the one episode rather than buy the full series?
Economical, yes. But it's a favorite series of mine so I wanted to keep the Shout Factory sets for the bonus features when I get the urge to want to see them again. I like this new set for the quick load and simple no-frills menus. So I'll most-likely watch from the new set and keep the old set as collectibles. It's "That Girl"! I had to have it. LOL

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Economical, yes. But it's a favorite series of mine so I wanted to keep the Shout Factory sets for the bonus features when I get the urge to want to see them again. I like this new set for the quick load and simple no-frills menus. So I'll most-likely watch from the new set and keep the old set as collectibles. It's "That Girl"! I had to have it. LOL
When you get it, check out the other episodes from the Shout set which have dubious running times. Any show from that era, an episode coming in at less than 25:10, I have to believe is edited.

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
When you get it, check out the other episodes from the Shout set which have dubious running times. Any show from that era, an episode coming in at less than 25:10, I have to believe is edited.
I checked several discs and most of the episodes are over 25 minutes. I have found a few episodes that run around 24:40 in Season 3. I have found nothing that runs under 24 minutes though.

Last edited:

Lecagr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Lee
I checked several discs and most of the episodes are over 25 minutes. I have found a few episodes that run around 24:40 in Season 3. I have found nothing that runs under 24 minutes though.
On the 4th season DVD from Shout Factory, the episode Fly By Night runs about 23:15 and the episode The Night They Raided Daddy's runs about 23:35. I don't know for sure if these episodes are edited or not but I haven't seen versions that run longer so I'm just assuming they are complete and ran a little short originally.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I love the cover of the old box set of the Dick Van Dyke Show DVD. Of course that is no reason to pay the OP price the set now gets but it was a great cover. It was great seeing a recreation of the Petries' living room on the recent Dick Van Dyke 98th Birthday special.

1705178879091.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks