What's new

How are the Dick Van Dyke sets? (1 Viewer)

David*P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David
I have a question that I didn't see the answer too perusing through this thread.

That $20.00 rebate when you purchase both season 1 and season 2......is there an expiration date to it?

I really want to buy these sets......

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
All right, David, I give up.

I watched the episode again and I can only come up with two possibilities, neither of which I think match your reaction.

In the beginning, when Sally talks the boys into staying home from the dinner party so she could be alone with Mr. Darling (I don't think this is it, because it is very typical Sally behavior)

or,

When, at the party, Laura asks "who wants coffee?" and starts toward the kitchen; Rob says, "I'll get it" and also heads toward the kitchen, but Sally intercepts him and says, "oh boy, are you gonna get it". I have a hunch this is it, but I don't see how it makes Sally out to be a b*#ch.

Still puzzled,

Jon

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
And by the way...

I caught a moment in the "A Surprise Surprise is a Surprise" episode in which a word or two of Rob's has been edited out and re-dubbed.

Watch at the very end, when he opens the roll of quarters. He remarks that he can use them to pay the toll on the (edited out) expressway. Dubbed into that line were the words "west side".

Any clue what that's all about?

Jon

Ryan FB

Second Unit
Here's another question...

Does anyone know what Buddy's full line is when he says "I haven't had this much fun since..." [audience laughter interrupts] on the S2 episode All About Eavesdropping? :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
All right, David, I give up.
OK. Here's the writing boo-boo made in Episode 59 ("It's A Shame She Married Me"). I'm somewhat surprised this script error made it to the final aired version; but
it did. ....

During the episode, Rob specifically tells Sally (while practically shouting right in her face, in fact) that he is "Not gonna tell" his wife Laura about an upcoming party given by an ex-flame of Laura's ("Jim Darling", played by guest star Robert Vaughn). But that very evening Sally decides to call Laura on the phone anyway to ask what she will be wearing to this function -- a function that she KNOWS Rob didn't want his wife to know anything about! Doesn't add up. Especially when you consider what kind of nice person Sally Rogers really is. She would NEVER have made that call behind Rob's back.

The scene would have made more sense if Mel, or Jim Darling himself, had called the Petrie house, and inadvertently spilled the beans to Laura about the party.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
caught a moment in the "A Surprise Surprise is a Surprise" episode in which a word or two of Rob's has been edited out and re-dubbed.
Hi Jon.... :)

Look closely again at that "dub". It's not "West Side" that's re-dubbed...they've changed "expressway" to "highway". (I guess it was changed in order to be technically accurate. I guess it's official called the "West Side Highway" and not "expressway".) *shrugs shoulders*

(Didn't really feel the need for spoiler tags here, since this trivial info we're sharing is rather unimportant and...well...trivial at best. But fun to play around with nonetheless.)

Here's another to look for ...... In the "Walnut" episode (aside from being able to see a glimpse of Rob's supposedly-missing thumb from a certain angle at one point) ... Rob juxtaposes a couple of letters in a line of dialogue (which always makes me laugh when seeing it). Just before Laura slugs Rob, still during the dream, Rob says: "You've got to help me get my thumb backs". He put the "S" on the wrong word, which I do all the time in everyday speech too. Should have been "thumbs back". :)

Now, when we get Season #5 on DVD in June, be sure to look for probably the biggest "gaffe" that they just decided to leave in the final version. In "Bupkis", Rob is supposed to look up a radio station's number in the phone book, then dial the number. Instead, we see Rob FIRST dial Radio Station "WIFE", and THEN leaf through the directory. He then says, slyly, "right"...as if he had somehow memorized this oddball number previously. And he shows us a funny grin after blowing this scene. But he did it so smoothly, Reiner & Co. just left it in. That's another reason I like this show so much. It feels so "natural" all the time; largely due to Mr. Reiner's letting the cast improvise a lot of the time on the set, and to just let stuff 'happen'. :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know what Buddy's full line is when he says "I haven't had this much fun since..." [audience laughter interrupts] on the S2 episode All About Eavesdropping?
Hi Ryan......

Yep...I can answer your inquiry here.
The end of that very funny passage is .....

"... since the St. Valentine's Day massacre." :laugh:

That "Eavesdropping" episode is one of my faves. Just great! Already watched the pristine DVD version of "Eavesdropping" 7 times since getting the Image DVDs. :)

"How'd you get THAT out of "On The Street Where You Live"??" :laugh:

P.S. -- Did anyone notice during the "Eavesdropping" episode the "Forward Scan" function has been disabled? I've tried to advance it using two different copies of the disc; and no dice. Has anyone been able to FF while playing that ep.? Just curious if it's my player. No other ep. does this however.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Noticed another mini-goof in Season 3's ep. "The Third One From The Left". Actually, it's probably a problem with the transfer to the DVD disc. One of the funniest lines in this episode, in fact, is slightly "cropped", or cut (audio-wise).

Rob's line to Laura: "I'll tell you one thing...I'm NOT gonna marry her!"

On the DVD, however, the last word, "Her", is not audible at all. Which I found curious. The video portion is there, but you can't hear the "Her". Wonder why? Oh, well...just a very small technical snafu.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
David, I am impressed by your wealth of Van Dyke Show knowledge...
I mean that honestly, that's what makes your reviews of the sets so good you have a great passion for them.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
David, I am impressed by your wealth of Van Dyke Show knowledge...I mean that honestly, that's what makes your reviews of the sets so good you have a great passion for them.
Thanks Casey my man. :)

I just added even more reviews on the Van Dyke DVDs to Amazon's site (with trivia, fun facts, and ep. guides, etc.). .... I'm just hoping the exuberance of a V.Dyke Show fan (like myself) can possibly sway one or two people here @ HTF or @ Amazon who are on the fence re. the DVD sets into maybe picking them up. I want them to sell well. I realize at this stage of the DVD-on-DVD game that we'll still get every season even if they *don't* sell very well; but I still want the sets to go over big with TV fans. Because if they do, perhaps it'll mean that more TV shows of this ilk will get DVD treatment. And, given the excellent quality of the V.Dyke sets, they should sell well. :)

Casey: I always like reading through your posts as well. Always very enjoyable. (Glad you're a fan of TDVDS too. You have fine taste in sitcoms, sir.) :)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty certain (though not 100%) that there's a couple in bed together (without feet on the floor) in the I Love Lucy episode where they are on their way to California and are in a fleabag motel and the bed moves as a train goes by.
I just took a look at that hysterical Lucy episode .... and George K. is absolutely 100% correct. In fact, we see not just one, but TWO different couples sharing the same bed during the Lucy California Trip episode "First Stop" (original air date: Monday, January 17, 1955 -- nine years before "The Munsters" ever aired).

We see Ricky & Lucy in a single bed; then, later, after the couples switch beds, we see Fred & Ethel in the same bed together (without a single foot touching the floor).

Never realized this hunk of "bed" trivia before. Good catch, George! :)

Wonder how this got past the CBS censors...and TWICE in the same show.

Ricky -- "We'll just stay right here."
Fred -- "Here?!! In 'Lower Slavobia'?!!"

Lucy -- "I wonder if this bed stops in Chicago."

:laugh:

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
David -

Thanks for the updates on the DVD goofs. I had noticed the presence of Rob's thumbs on 'Walnut', as well as the 'I got my thumb backs' remark.

However, I did not pick up on Sally's phone call to Laura - even when I went looking for a gaffe.

we see Fred & Ethel in the same bed together.
Now, there's an image I'm going to spend the rest of the day trying to get out of my mind. :D

Jon

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Finally had funds, so I finally picked this set up on Thursday. I'm going to take it and show a friend of mine a few episodes, my friend whom believe it or not has never seen an episode of the Cick Van Dyke Show. I predict that I will show it to him, and he'll end up buying the sets. I'll let you know if I'm right or not.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
David, I was also miffed when I tried to back scan on "Evesdropping". I had missed a couple of lines and when I tried to scan back it wouldn't let me! So I quickly went to another episode and was very relieved to find that the scan feature worked on that one. I was afraid the whole box set was like that!

I'm still waiting for "Coast to Coast Big Mouth", one of my favorites! I crack up when Carl Reiner is talking to his toupes! Another one of my favorites is when Rob and gang go to an auction and he "accidentally" buys a painting-hilarious stuff! When I heard DVD was coming on dvd, I made sure I had it on the street date. It's hands down my favorite sitcom. The show is pure genius!

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
It's hands down my favorite sitcom. The show is pure genius!
As MTM's future co-star Gavin MacLeod (as Mel's cousin, "Maxwell") said in the S.1 Van Dyke episode, "Empress Carlotta's Necklace" -- "You have good taste, sir!" :)

Gavin was a howl in that episode, laughing at anything Buddy & Sally said (including "Shoehorn"). :)

Mel -- "You see, Maxwell doesn't have any overhead."
Buddy -- "Kind of runs in the family, don't it Curly?"

:D :) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks