What's new

Horrible audio distortion from blu ray player (1 Viewer)

JessicaN

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessica
My sister bought a Samsung 4K TV along with a LG 4K Blu Ray player (UBK 80) last September. The Blu Ray player has HDMI, and also a USB connection. Hooking up was simple and everything; CD's, DVD's, USB and Blu Rays, played great. We connected pair of THX-certified speakers we had though an adapter. Perfect sound and music. Quite enjoyable to be able to play all these medias.

Recently (last night), we popped a DVD movie we had bought. Then, as the movie started, a horrible screeching audio distortion came out of the speakers. Then after a few seconds, the distortion changed, and the DVD stopped.

First thought: a bad DVD. so we fired up a second DVD. same result. A third DVD. Same result. Then we played a regular Blu Ray movie. Same distortion, albeit with faint regular audio playing with the distortion. We played a 4K Blu Ray movie. Same thing.

We changed the audio outputs in the Audio Menu of the Blu Ray player. Same result.

We then setup the TV audio settings so that the audio would play through the TV's speakers. Same distortion.

Next up, we played videos from the USB source, which is connected to a small external hard drive. Perfect sound.

I played all the discs we tested on my computer, and they all play just fine.

So, at this point we believe we're facing the possibility of a faulty Blu Ray player but we thought perhaps someone might clue us in on a solution.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Then we played a regular Blu Ray movie. Same distortion, albeit with faint regular audio playing with the distortion. We played a 4K Blu Ray movie. Same thing.
That leads me to suspect the voice coils in the speaker have been fried. Now, what caused the original "horrible screeching" most likely fried the speakers. That's my best guess, anyway. What caused it? I have no idea?

willyTass

Supporting Actor
Could u post a picture of

1. the speakers

2 the model number of these THX speakers

3. the adapter cord

4. the ports you plugged these THX speakers into, presumably into the TV

also we need the model of the Samsung tv to see how powerful the amplifier is in it

JessicaN

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessica
That leads me to suspect the voice coils in the speaker have been fried. Now, what caused the original "horrible screeching" most likely fried the speakers. That's my best guess, anyway. What caused it? I have no idea?

Audio is perfect when any media is played through the player's USB connection.

JessicaN

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessica
Could u post a picture of

1. the speakers

2 the model number of these THX speakers

3. the adapter cord

4. the ports you plugged these THX speakers into, presumably into the TV

also we need the model of the Samsung tv to see how powerful the amplifier is in it

1. - 2. : The speakers are Logitech Z-623.
3. The audio adapter cord? There's a Digital Audio cable connected from the Blu Ray player to an digital to analog converter because the speakers are analog. It was connected to the TV before but we switched to the player to test the output.
4. The Samsung TV model is NU6900 while the amplifier is an old Pioneer SX-424, but we tried it with a Technics SA-GX530 with same result, so it's not the amplifier.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
OK, that’s the problem. The player is sending a surround signal to a two channel DAC. You need to set the audio output on the player to something like stereo or two channel. It’s probably currently set to bitstream.

JessicaN

Auditioning
Real Name
Jessica
Here are the Audio options on the player:

Digital Output: Auto / PCM / DTS Re-Encore (Current: Auto)
Sampling Frequency: 48KHz / 96KHz / 192KHz (Current: 192KHz, although we tried the three)
DRC: Auto / On / Off (Current: Auto)

What are you suggesting?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe digital output should be PCM, and I would turn off DRC. Don't know if the frequency makes any difference.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, PCM, DRC off and if sampling freq depends on the DAC. If 192 works, then use that, or lower it until it works.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, it’s pretty rare to get a “thank you.”

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks