Mick Wright

Second Unit
So far I have the following:

Rear Window
Vertigo
North By Northwest
Psycho
The Birds

These are the only Hitchcock films I've seen and I loved them all. Do any of his other films match the quality of these, or the quality of their dvd releases?

Thanks for any advice.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
Try Notorious (Criterion), Strangers on a Train, or Shadow of a Doubt, or The 39 Steps, or The Lady Vanishes. The latter two have great Criterion versions available (Criterion also offers Spellbound and Rebecca, both of which I have, and neither of which I've yet watched. I've seen about 18 of his films, and as you're no doubt discovering, you almost can't go wrong with any choice.

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Yep - Notorious is an utterly fabulous film from any perspective, and is available from Criterion on a jaw-dropping special edition.

Rebecca and Spellbound draw more mixed opinions, but I love 'em both. Criterion have pulled off a similar coup with those two releases (the former is a 2-disc set). It should be noted that all three of the above will almost certainly be OOP come 2004.

The 39 Steps is the film that really cemented Hitchock's reputation, and is similar to North by Northwest in many respects. You guessed it...Criterion's special edition is a winner.

The Lady Vanishes is a great little one, although the Criterion disc has only an excellent audio commentary and a sparkling restored transfer to recommend it.

Some other Hitchcock winners, in both disc and film categories would be Marnie, Saboteur, Shadow of a Doubt, Strangers on a Train and Frenzy. None of them really perfect, but still riveting and highly repeatable entertainment.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Get the Criterion Notorious.

The film is great and Criterion's DVD edition is equal to the film. It offers a transfer made off the restored negative with reconstructed sound, which the good (bare-bones) Anchor Bay disc lacks.

It may go out of print soon, so I'd pick it up.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Shadow of a Doubt is my favorite Hitchcock film that you don't have. So, that's one I'd recommend.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Mick,
I also have Marnie, Rope, Strangers on a Train, and The Man Who Knew Too Much (with Jimmy Stewart). I'd recommend all of them.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
another rec for Shadow of a Doubt.
also the criterion Notorious and Rebecca are spectacular packages and strong films.

actually, out of his whole output those are probably the only ones i actually like much at all.
just watched To Catch A Thief (not generally regarded as one of his stronger films anyway) but i was still thunderstruck at how contrived it was (a quality it shares with NXNW imo).
the disc itself is very nice, tho the anamorphic widescreen and saturated colors can't compare with the finer B&W print elements of Notorious and Rebecca.
SOAD looks a little rougher unfortunately.

i also like Saboteur a little, although, like TCAT and NXNW you have to have a permanent injuction against disbelief to accept that the protagonist could get as far as he could by the end of the film.

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
If you liked the confined intensity of Rear Window then I recommend Rope (one of my favorites). If you're in the mod for some black humor, go for Trouble with Harry (another favorite). [thanks for your editorial support Craig:b ... I was just, uh, checking to see if anyone was paying attention:D]
On a sidenote, if you like Hitchcock's North By Northwest I can't recommend Charade enough (no, it's not Hitchcock, but it has a lot of echoes -- and Cary Grant).
I'll quit now before watering down my list.:D
p.s. Quite coincidentally, I'm watching Rebecca right now. Excellent movie.

David Dennison

Second Unit
I recommend Rebecca as your next purchase.
You can't go wrong with most of the others listed, though.
I also own Notorious and Strangers on a Train and am eager to get my hands on The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
If you're in the mod for some black humor, go for Trouble with Charlie (another favorite).
I'm assuming you mean THE TROUBLE WITH HARRY and not THE TRUTH ABOUT CHARLIE. :D
I'll throw in another hearty recommendation for Criterion's NOTORIOUS. Hell, all the Criterion Hitchcocks are worth having!

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Hell, all the Criterion Hitchcocks are worth having!
Yeah, you seem to be quite a fan of the Hitchcock movies you have seen so far, so I would recommend the next "step up", which means Criterion Collection!
I also recommend Notorious first, but you really can't go wrong with any of them!

MatS

Screenwriter
these are the ones that you have that I own:
Rear Window
Vertigo
North By Northwest

these are the other ones I own that I recommend:
Frenzy
The Trouble With Harry

this is the one I am waiting for:
Dial M For Murder

Cary T

Screenwriter
Can't go wrong with the recommendations thus far. Do yourself a favorite and buy a Criterion Hitchcock. I have all five. If I had to choose one, it would be The Lady Vanishes. But if you're into the extras, Rebecca and Notorious are great. Then again The Art of Film: Vintage Hitchcock on The 39 Steps Criterion disc is awesome too :emoji_thumbsup:

LeeL

Stunt Coordinator
I've always had a great fondness for The Trouble With Harry myself, but then again, I'm a bit of an oddball.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks