What's new

Hitchcock on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

jerauf

Agent
Real Name
Jeremy Aufderheide
I've been pretty disappointed with the Hitchcock broadcasts on Max. To me they look very soft.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by jerauf

I've been pretty disappointed with the Hitchcock broadcasts on Max. To me they look very soft.

So far, I've watched Saboteur, TMWKTM, and most of Vertigo. Aside from the problem w/ the master for TMWKTM, I think they look very good. They don't seem soft to me. Vertigo, especially, looked wonderful, and with the original soundtrack, it sounded lovely as well.

Doug

jerauf

Agent
Real Name
Jeremy Aufderheide
Yes, Cinemax. This week they showed The Birds, Frenzy, Vertigo, and I think The Man Who Knew Too Much (although I'm not sure about the last).

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor

Originally Posted by Doug Otte

So far, I've watched Saboteur, TMWKTM, and most of Vertigo. Aside from the problem w/ the master for TMWKTM, I think they look very good. They don't seem soft to me. Vertigo, especially, looked wonderful, and with the original soundtrack, it sounded lovely as well.

Doug
I'd like to modify my opinion. I tried Rear Window last night. It was a 4:3 P&S version. I deleted it so fast I didn't even see if it was HD, but I doubt it. Next, I tried The Birds. It was HD and 16:9 (can't remember if the original was wider), but it was problematic. It was an old master, very soft, with large bloblike grain.

So, I'm back to only Saboteur looking good, and Vertigo looking great. Psycho will be recorded in a few days. I didn't try Frenzy yet.

Doug

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Originally Posted by Doug Otte

I'd like to modify my opinion. I tried Rear Window last night. It was a 4:3 P&S version. I deleted it so fast I didn't even see if it was HD, but I doubt it. Next, I tried The Birds. It was HD and 16:9 (can't remember if the original was wider), but it was problematic. It was an old master, very soft, with large bloblike grain.

So, I'm back to only Saboteur looking good, and Vertigo looking great. Psycho will be recorded in a few days. I didn't try Frenzy yet.

Doug

The HD version of Rear Window currently making the Cinemax rounds is an open-matte transfer, NOT pan & scan. It's definitely in HD... I did an a/b comparison with the Legacy DVD and the Cinemax broadcast was a definite improvement, PQ-wise. I'm not sure WHY it's open-matte, though...

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Any more news on blu ray releases? I see Pyscho is on the way, but was hoping for some more of the films too.

Thanks!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
No news, but Lady Vanishes is likely to be the third Hitchcock bluray, because I think Criterion will try to get it out soon. Hopefully they'll reissue 39 Steps at the same time.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by MattH.

I don't think they own the rights to issue Rebecca or the other Selznick pictures any more.

You are correct. ABC which owns the Selznick titles along with the ABC Pictures, a feature film production that more or less lasted from the mid 60's and into the early 70's, leased the DVD rights to MGM around 2004 of which they still control. Not sure why they were leased out for by that time Disney owned ABC, but evidently Disney had no need for them and/or they do not fit what they think their library is. The titles were previously released by Anchor Bay before MGM and MGM just basically re-issued the Anchor Bay transfers and has not released any that were not previously released, such as The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Song Of Norway. Not sure how long the contract lasts but if it a ten year deal then it should be up in 2014 then perhaps they can be leased to Olive.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Rebecca, Notorious and Spellbound are all out of print in SDDVD and thus rather unlikely to become criterion blurays due to rights issues.

However 39 STeps and Lady vanishes have remained in print and Lady Vanishes has had a swanky SD new edition reissue, criterion has gradually put out virtually all their reissues on bluray (remaining are Beauty and the Beast, Amarcord, High & Low, Salo, and The Lady Vanishes, iirc)

Criterion is also rumored to have the rights to Foreign Correspondant, so if they release Foreign Correspondant, expect it to come out in bluray as well. From all accounts the dual bluray upgrade of the Red shoes and Black Narcissus was an immense success, so I think Criterion probably will release 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes upgrades to bluray at the same time, probably sometime in 2011. Of course it is entirely possible they may do FC & LV or FC and 39, but I would be shocked if we got three hitchcock blurays from them at the same time, but I would not be surprised (and expect to, actually) to get two Hitchcock blurays from them at the same time.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I hope Criterion may still have some rights to Rebecca, Spellbound and especially Notorious. My favorite of the three. If not, I hope one studio will.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again..." Rebecca, one of my top favourite Hitchcocks. I have the Criterion but I might be tempted to buy it on Blu-ray if it ever gets released. The Lady Vanishes is another top 10 favourite. I've watched both films at least once every year for the past 30 years or so.

The only Hitchcock films I have on Blu-ray are North by Northwest and Psycho. I have 34 of his films on DVD.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Originally Posted by Nelson Au

I hope Criterion may still have some rights to Rebecca, Spellbound and especially Notorious. My favorite of the three. If not, I hope one studio will.

Criterion lost the rights several years ago to the Selznick films. MGM should have control on them until 2014 so unless they change their business model then I would think that we will have to wait until after that time. Perhaps Criterion can re-acquire the right then.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
There's a pre order for The Birds up at Amazon. No release date or announcement, but interesting none the less. Hopefully it's on the way soon!!!

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

There's a pre order for The Birds up at Amazon. No release date or announcement, but interesting none the less. Hopefully it's on the way soon!!!

Any further news on The Birds? I preordered it from Amazon, but there is not a date listed. Thanks!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00466H3I6

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Lady Vanishes and 39 Steps surely are on Criterion's bluray radar? I'm hoping for a July dual release of both (ala last years dual release of Red Shoes and Black Narcissus)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by Adam_S

Lady Vanishes and 39 Steps surely are on Criterion's bluray radar? I'm hoping for a July dual release of both (ala last years dual release of Red Shoes and Black Narcissus)

On the radar as they have been issued by Criterion on DVD before? Criterion also had a box set of Hitchcock films as well?

I believe Universal commented that some of the Hitchcock titles they currently hold may take time to remaster for blu ray. Especially as they wish to get them looking as good as Pyscho.

Is it known what is happening specifically with The Birds on blu ray? Odd that Amazon has it listed and available for preorder, but no release date.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks