What's new

Hitchcock on Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Originally Posted by benbess

Don't hold your breath. Most of the are owned by Universal, which seems to have a distinct lack of interest in doing a first class job with things like this...I wish they would just sell or license their library if they aren't going to put stuff out...

I read a Universal quote from a rep saying they will have more Hitchcock films on the way, but they are taking time to restore them proper. Kind of like Pyscho.

I believe the article was on blu ray.com.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Tim Haxton

I read a Universal quote from a rep saying they will have more Hitchcock films on the way, but they are taking time to restore them proper. Kind of like Pyscho.

I believe the article was on blu ray.com.
Well that *would* be good news. Let us know if you find a link.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
Obviously RH would be the man to speak, and he may not be able for contractual reasons, but as far as Vertigo goes, the delay is understandable. It's been more than a decade since the restoration, and with all the new advances in digital technology, I'd imagine a new restoration would be appropriate. And I'm willing to wait if it means they get to revisit their work, make it better, and hopefully get the soundtrack controversy straightened out. It should look beautiful!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Brianruns10

Obviously RH would be the man to speak, and he may not be able for contractual reasons, but as far as Vertigo goes, the delay is understandable. It's been more than a decade since the restoration, and with all the new advances in digital technology, I'd imagine a new restoration would be appropriate. And I'm willing to wait if it means they get to revisit their work, make it better, and hopefully get the soundtrack controversy straightened out. It should look beautiful!

Yeah it would, but again it doesn't seem the big U wants to invest the money in it...

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris

Easy answer. 'Vertigo' needs to be reworked for Blu-ray, as well as long term archival, now that we have the ability to make it perfect.

The other Vista productions can also be brought back to original perfection.

RAH

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Robert Harris

Easy answer. 'Vertigo' needs to be reworked for Blu-ray, as well as long term archival, now that we have the ability to make it perfect.

RAH

Sure would love to see that perfection. And I think these are commercially viable projects. They'd all sell well and make back their money even if they did a first class job of it.

Brianruns10

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian Rose
This would be the greatest blu-ray box set ever:

Hitchcock at Paramount: "Rear Window," "The Trouble With Harry," "To Catch a Thief," "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "Vertigo" all remastered in 4K from original VistaVision elements (except for Rear Window of course).

Sigh..... :)

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

This would be the greatest blu-ray box set ever:

Hitchcock at Paramount: "Rear Window," "The Trouble With Harry," "To Catch a Thief," "The Man Who Knew Too Much" and "Vertigo" all remastered in 4K from original VistaVision elements (except for Rear Window of course).

Sigh..... :)

Great idea, but....These are now all owned by Universal.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Something devoutly to be wished if properly produced. If not properly produced, far less so.

RAH

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by benbess

Great idea, but....These are now all owned by Universal.

Except TO CATCH A THIEF, which remains at Paramount.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben

Something devoutly to be wished if properly produced. If not properly produced, far less so.

RAH

Yes, I would not like to see what was done with Spartacus done with these films.

Universal has done well selling Hitchcock over the years. They even had an elegant red boxed set with all the Hitchcock films they had on DVD. I own that set, and would love to see its blu-ray successor.

Hitchcock used to be a major stockholder in Universal. He did a lot for them in film and in TV. I think it's time they repaid the favor and made his films live again for the 21st century.

Just a suggestion, but perhaps some of my fellow Hitchcock fans could adopt posters of some of his films that Universal owns that they would like released on blu-ray as their avatars....?

PattyFraser

Second Unit
I'll have to see this. I would have given the title of creepiest housekeeper to Dame Judith Anderson's Mrs.Danvers in "Rebecca" for sure.

Greg_D_R

Stunt Coordinator

RAH

The question is, when, or at least, when are we most likely to see this happen? Any anniversaries or possible cross promotions coming up that would push it forward? I really want to see Vertigo on blu ray.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
At some point it is going to take people in the studio business actually caring about the state of their classics and placing that over immediate sales numbers. Film deteriorates over time, that much is indisputable. And studios should look at HD masters as less a "blu-ray revenue generator" and more of a "this is the only way we are going to preserve our film history for the long haul". Blu-ray (and 4K disc or true-HD-download-on-demand in the future) will be able to draw on these masters and the cost of doing the HD master and restoration right need only be done once. Then you've got it down for the foreseeable future, and this one restoration/HD master, if done right, will serve for future releases and eventually bring home the revenue. They need to take a long-term investment view of things.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks