What's new

Hitachi 51SWX20B vs Pioneer SD533HD. (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Hitachi 51SWX20B vs Pioneer SD533HD.

Hitachi is a new model, $2800 at circuit city.
Pioneer is last year's model I presume, $2250 shipped from onecall.com

I have never seen a pioneer non elite. Everyone knows how good the PIoneer elites are.

The hitachi model listed above is the best RPTV I've seen short of the elites. I actually can't compare it to the elites because they aren't in the same store, I just know the Hitachi looks spectacular on HD and DVD.

I need a set just for DVD and Games. I'm not worried about HD/DVI right now.

What do I go with?
53" Pioneer non elite that I haven't seen in person or Hitachi 51" that I've seen and looks spectacular to me?

People say the hitachi looks good on the show floor because it does well in a lit room (it's bright), but it looked perfect to me when monsters inc was playing.

Thanks,
ELmO

MichaelFusick

Second Unit
It's quite the set.... the 51SWX20B.

It also got no red push and a DVI connection which the pioneer does not....

I would favor the Hitachi over the pioneer, but Pioneer also has new models comming out too... Wonder how thoses will stack up?

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
The DVI is not HDMI (its DVI-HDCP) which means it doesn't carry audio. To me, it's not the right DVI then since there isa new standard out.

Also the hitachi upconverts everything to 1080i (540p), including dvds and standard cable. I actually don't care about cable, but I'm wondering if any artifacts occur in the 480p-540p upconversion.

I don't think the pioneer upconverts anything.

-ELmO

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Pixar movies like Monsters Inc and Toy Story look stunning on almost any halfway decent tv, and a few that are not halfway decent.

Hitachis are good sets, make no mistake, but do try to audition some other material. They are especially great at displaying a very bright picture with vividly saturated color, but pay close attention to subtle variations in fleshtones on people's faces on live-action films-do they look realistic or more like flat latex paint?

If it looks good on dvd or HD, try it on a regular ntsc source and compare how the Hitachi does compared to a Toshiba or Sony.

Check out the various stretch modes, especially the variable stretch to see how much funhouse mirror effect there is on the various makes.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
How about stepping down to the panasonic 53" widescreen for only $1710? It saves me $500, but I'm guessing the pioneer is definitel a better set.

When viewing the hitachi at CC, yes, for HD it was very bright and saturated (sweet looking). Going to BB, saw the panasonic 53 and it looked very nice (but HD was showing..) compared to other sets around it (non calibrated).

I actually only care about DVDs and Games not HD or analog cable..
Thanks for the input,
ELmO

Mark Lehmkuhl

Stunt Coordinator
I would definitely look into the Panasonic. The last thing I want to do is sink alot of $$ into a big RPTV at this point in time.

Plasma and DLP sets are dropping dramatically. You can already today get some nice deals below $100/ diaganol inch - unheard of just a year ago!

The best time to be in a market for a new tv is going to be in about 2-4 years. Plasma prices will be comparable to today's CRT RPTV's prices or better, and will simply blow away CRT RPTV's in every category. You won't want your 300 pound CRT of today when we get to that point in time!

If I had to have a set now, I'd go with the Panny as I said for $1700. Still HD for your DVD's, still a good picture, and then a few years down the road you won't feel like you lost alot of $$ when you want to upgrade.

Above is just my opinion of course.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
The Hitachis have really strong CRT's, which means they'll probably last a LONG time if you dial them down with a good Avia/VE calibration. On the showroom floor, they're usually using the Perfect Picture mode, which uses a sensor on the front of the set to judge proper contrast settings for the room lighting. In other words, the CRT's are likely jacked up to torch levels when you see them. Once you calibrate the set, the picture will be infinitely better. And though it is preferable not to have any conversion, the 540p conversion on the Hitachi is actually very good and is a cost-effective solution to having multiple scan rates built into the set. Plus, as a Hitachi 43UWX10b owner, I can tell you that their service is excellent and they really stand by their product in the unfortunate event that it messes up.

On a personal note, I went with Hitachi over other brands because the off-axis visibility was better than any other set I saw. Good luck with your shopping!

Dave Cz

Auditioning
I was looking at a 53" Pioneer today before I read this forum. I don't remember the exact model but the salesman (Audio FX in Sacramento Ca. is an upper end retail outlet) explained to me that at this time all the Pioneers are using the same internals (including the elites), but bigger mirrors for the bigger screens. I don't know enough to argue or confirm, but that's what I was told. What I can tell you is that the 53" I saw had an absolutely stunning picture and retailed around 3k. Good luck on your purchase.

Jordan_Rosenberg

Auditioning
Well I just got the 51swx and am very impressed.. hell, I love it! I haven't seen the pioneer though, progresive dvd and x-box look great on it, just don't skimp on a sound system

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks