What's new

Heroes season 1 thread (1 Viewer)

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member

It'd be somewhat different because in the X-Menu universe, Professor X is one of the most powerful mutants alive. That's at least part of the reason he's able to help other mutants through things.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

I think a lot of that was her being freaked out that he could read her mind. She figured that part out right before she busted him when he answered her question that she only thought but didn't say out loud.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
There is still at least one hero to be revieled, based on the aprint ads I have seen. None of the "villians" such as HRG guy are in the ads, which makes me think the cute girl who was friends of the Professor might be an ally of HRG.

Nikki the stripper seems to me to be a hero along the lines of The Hulk,

I got the sense that the blonde FBI agent might have been a rookie.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
This episode was better. But the pacing issues continue. Another (apparently major) character introduction at like 10 minutes from the end.

Hiro may be the stupidest character of television, even topping Kim Baeur from 24. What kind of fucking idiot goes around telling everyone he can teleport? This sort of complete social unawareness is really grating.

--
H

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
My guess is that the pacing issues in both episodes are a direct result of NBC forcing the creative team to carve them out of what was originally a two hour pilot. Next week will be the real proving ground as to whether the show knows how to pace an episode.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

The kind of socially inept comic-book geek Hiro is supposed to be, that's who. You may find it grating, I find it true to life. I've known dozens of guys just like Hiro from my days in SF fandom who absolutely would tell everyone they met that they could teleport if they really could do it. I don't know if your "social unawareness" comment is directed at the character or the writers. If the character, I say again, that's who he is. If the writers, I have to say you're dead wrong. They aren't "socially unaware" in creating a character like Hiro. Rather they are exquisitely aware of and attuned to a subculture and character type you aren't familiar with.

Regards,

Joe

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I want to echo an earlier comment that this show is much more gory that I had expected. Anticipating a cool superhero/fantastic four kind of show, I watched the first episode with my 13 year old daughter. She enjoyed it.

The second episode, I can tell was way too much gore for her to handle, it would have been easily rated R if it was a movie. Way too much close ups on the cut-off heads and dead bodies, excess blood, closer to a Friday the 13th movie than a PG-13-ish superhero movie.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
What is the proper Emily Post reaction to such a situation? I was having trouble finding the chapter on "your super powers in conversation" in my book of etiquette.

Regards,

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
So long as we're giving smartass replies, it's called "common sense" Ken, even heard of the concept?

--
H

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
It's called "ignore the post with the substantive argument and go for the one the can be dismissed as 'smart-ass'." Ever hear of the concept?

As I've already pointed out, Hiro doesn't have what you call "common sense". It is a character trait, not bad writing. Seriously, you've never met anyone in the real world who lacks "common sense" so you can't deal with seeing one on TV? (I use the quotation marks because common sense, in my experience, is a very rare thing.)

Regards,

Joe

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Joseph, I have not disagreed with your reply, have I? My issue with is with the character. I felt that was clear from my post so I left it alone. Not sure why you felt it necessary to reitterate a point... which I never disagreed with in the first place. Since you seem to want to hear this, know that I essentially agree with your assessements of Hiro (he is the fucking idiot, not the writers, he is socially unaware, not the writers... not sure why anyone would read otherwise from the post) -- an assesement which at least, contrarly that smartass little jab, showed an understanding of the question. There.

Doesn't mean I find the character less grating. If we can agree that there are many such people in real life, we can also agree that they don't always provoke favorable reactions. Deal?

--
H

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood
jeesh people calm down, its a tv show... remember?

holadem, you're obviously seeing Hiro differently than we are, Hiro is pretty much just like every other comic book geek out there. If anyone of the people that go to the comic book shop I go to were to get a super-power like that, a good portion of them would show it off and/or tell everyone. some wouldn't. he also lives in a different culture. common sense doesn't always play into every single situation does it? but the fact that you're seeing Hiro as annoying is your opinion, i also didn't mind Kim on 24 either. we'll have to agree to disagree. which we seem to do a lot of anyway. :)

Patrick thanks for posting the link to the comic book page, I like that Hiro has his own blog, that should lead to some interesting things. I hope other major artists like Tim Sale and Ed McGuiness that work on comics get a chance to work on this show.

ahh the joys of the internet. :D

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
No shit. Of course it is. I never once said or suggested otherwise. Nor did I ask anyone to feel the same way I do. Nor am I on some kind of crusade to push this feeling on everyone. I will however respond to people who question in subtle, passive-aggressive ways my right to feel the way I do.

--
H

nickGreenwood

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick Greenwood

I was going to comment, but, I won't, we've taken far too much time and effort to bicker.

Moving on in spirit of community...

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I've been to enough Star Trek conventions in my life to know that there are enough Hiros in the world that have BULLSHIT stories, so why crap all over the guy who acts exactly the same, but is actually right?

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
The thing that get's me about Hiro is his complete disregard for comic book hero traditions even though he's a complete comic book nut.

It seems that he could care less about any sort of secret identity if he really believes that he'll be a super hero someday, he's just casually telling every Tom, Dick and Harry who will listen that he can teleport himself.

I'd keep that under wraps if it were me, not because i'd be afraid that they'de think I was crazy, it'd be easy to prove provided I could really do it on command, but to safeguard my as-of-yet unestablished secret identity.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Sorry, I didn't know you were so sensitive about it. I assumed with all of the profanity and superlatives and whatnot that you were not being all that serious and responded in the same spirit.

My point was that Hiro seems to be a sensitive, socially awkward guy, and that his reaction to his extremely unusual circumstances seems more realistic than just playing it cool. This seemed as realistic to me as the Nathan and Claire characters trying to keep a lid on things.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks