What's new

Gotham Season 5 (The Final Season: 2018-2019) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Previous threads:
Season 1
Season 2
Season 3
Season 4

The abbreviated final season will premiere at mid-season.

As with last year's extended trailer, the bulk of the Season 5 promo recaps where the various storylines left off, with the new stuff starting at the 2:33 mark:

501 - Year Zero
502 - Trespassers
503 - Penguin, Our Hero
504 - Ruin
505 - Pena Dura
506 - The Air is Getting Slippery
507 - Ace Chemicals
508 - I Am Bane

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
First pic of Bane, from EW:

https://ew.com/tv/2018/10/22/fox-gotham-bane/

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
That is awful..

Also I still haven’t made it through season 3. Way behind.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
First episode left me a little lost.
The pacing is very different this season. In earlier years, you could feel them treading water; they had a fixed destination, and no idea how many episodes they had to get there. And then, quite suddenly, they had twelve episodes to get there.

I'm guessing they new ahead of the fourth season finale that this season was going to be it, because I doubt that they would have embarked on No Man's Land otherwise. The destruction of all of Gotham's connections to the outside world have essentially turned the city into a lawless anarchy reminiscent of Escape From New York.

The flashback framing device, with the episode beginning on Day 391 of the city's isolation with Gordon and Bullock teaming up with Riddler and Penguin to make a stand against an incoming assault by what appears to be the United States military or perhaps a private military contractor, would seem to indicate that they mapped out the entirety of this season from the beginning.

The remainder of the episode jumps back Day 87, nearly three months after the previous season's cliffhanger but over 10 months prior to the opening scene. Selina is paralyzed, the city has been divided up into fiefdoms, and everybody's running out of food and supplies. Amidst all of the gang turf wars, the GCPD has managed to preserve law and order in a ten block radius surrounding police headquarters. This in turn has made GCPD a magnet for refugees from the lawless and gang-run areas of the city.

In a continuation of the show's weird decision to give Ed Nygma split personality disorder, the Riddler finds himself waking up in various seedy locales around the city, losing hours of time with each blackout.

Penguin's territory, centered around City Hall, has a supply line of ammunition (albeit low quality) but very little food.

The sirens' territory, centered around Barbara and Tabitha's night club, has food and alcohol but very little ammunition.

Scarecrow's territory has very little of anything.

Jerome has gone missing, but Francesca Root-Dodson makes an appearance as the very Harley Quinn-esque Ecco, so he's probably scheming from the shadows.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Thanks, did I miss some scene or explanation of how Hugo Strange brought back The Riddler and possibly Lee Thompkins from the season 4 cliffhanger?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, did I miss some scene or explanation of how Hugo Strange brought back The Riddler and possibly Lee Thompkins from the season 4 cliffhanger?
No. Just the scene in the finale with Nygma and Thompkins brought to Strange, clinging to life. We only know what the Riddler knows, and as far as I know, we haven't gotten confirmation that Thompkins survived.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
No. Just the scene in the finale with Nygma and Thompkins brought to Strange, clinging to life. We only know what the Riddler knows, and as far as I know, we haven't gotten confirmation that Thompkins survived.
Thanks so much. I don't feel as confused and anxious now.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little disappointed that they're making Selina Kyle a metahuman. I like the versions of the Batman story where Catwoman is just an incredibly smart, highly trained human in a suit like Batman is. This show had done that well up until this point.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I know I have been down on this show in the past, but I finally caught up with season 5 and it's been really good. If the show keeps this up for 5 more episodes, they will go out on a high note.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Thursday's episode felt like a series finale, and the actual series finale is likely to feel like the series premiere for a "Batman" series that the powers that be at Warner Bros. will never allow.

Camren Bicondova confirmed on Twitter that Thursday was her last episode. "Banshee" actress Lili Simmons has been cast as adult Selina. Other than Simmons being about half a foot taller than Bicondova, it's a pretty believable match.

No word yet on whether Bruce Wayne was recast.

Whoever at FOX scheduled the finale for opening night of Avengers: Endgame should probably lose their job.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I had not watched an episode of Gotham since season 2 episode 6. What they were doing to the characters was just too painful to watch (and a lot didn't really make much sense with what I knew about the Batman timeline). I was about to watch The Orville and my DVR started on the last minute or so of Gotham. It looked like a series finale and I decided it would be interesting to see where the characters ended up.

The recaps during the episode, plus my own Batman knowledge, got me just about completely up to date. The only confusing thing was Barbara Kean being more sane than I remember and somehow having a child with Jim Gordon. Anyway, I thought the episode was pretty good, though I have no desire to see any of the episodes I missed. I am looking forward to see the 10 years after actual series finale.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Ummm, one thing that has thrown me. When Gordon's kid was born, didn't they say, you have a son? Or was I drunk, and just heard, "son"?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks