What's new

Gotham Season 5 (The Final Season: 2018-2019) (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I intended to watch or record this, but forgot. Looks like I'm not the only one. From TVFanatic:

Fox said goodbye to Gotham on Thursday, and the drama series said goodbye with an all-time low in the demo.

Gotham series finale scared up a miniscule 0.5 rating in the demo, and 2.2 million total viewers.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
I watched it and liked it. I didn’t start this series until a couple of months ago and hadn’t been on the forum in years. Sounds like the series didn’t deliver for those of you watching all along. As a binge watch, I have to say it was pretty good.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
A more satisfying finale than Smallville, at least. I enjoyed the run, both whacky and morbid at the same time. A kind of Elseworld's story. Would love a Batman show now, one that shows off his detective skills as well as action.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I baled at the end of season three, but I had intended to record this and simply forgot. I guess I can watch it On Demand or simply wait for it to show up at Netflix.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It was a fun tease of what a 70s-era Batman TV series could be: more genuinely sinister than the Adam West era, but much campier than the modern era.

I do think if you're going to spend the whole episode building up to the costume reveal, you've got to do a better Batman costume.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Funny that they just couldn’t bare to have Gordon with his mustache for more than 5 minutes.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I intended to watch or record this, but forgot. Looks like I'm not the only one. From TVFanatic:
Well, with a good percentage of the potential audience seeing Avengers: Endgame it isn't any wonder the ratings were down.

I enjoyed the finale last night. It was definitely Gotham and not Batman episode 1. I am glad I watched these final two episodes. I do not regret on passing on all the many episodes I missed.

One more thing about the penultimate episode - a friend from grade school has had a small (non-speaking I believe) part on the Gotham City Police Department. I saw a screen grab on her FB page of her in the background when Commissioner Gordon was sworn in. Rewatched that scene to check before seeing the finale.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
First of all, good for Gotham that it ultimately did what it said from the beginning it would do: End the series with the first appearance of Batman.

That said, I can't say I liked the series overall. It was too dark and grotesque, even for Gotham City. I always thought it should have been a show about a hopelessly corrupt city, with one honest cop in Jim Gordon, trying to turn it around. It may have started out that way for half a season or so, but it quickly became a Lovecraftian nightmare of a show, where all too often logical narrative was sacrificed for a jolt to the audience. But before too long, the audience had been jolted so many times that nothing was shocking anymore. It seemed to thrive on being absurd.

I wanted Prince of the City but ultimately I got Re-Animator.

One thing remained constant though and that was the beautiful photography. This was one of the best looking shows that's ever been on TV. Even its nighttime views of the city were incredible in gorgeous HD. That remains the best thing about the show.

The characters were nuts, and hardly acted like real people. Realism was sacrificed for trying to shock the audience, and the show suffered. For a better take on these characters, I will turn to the Adam West Batman when I want something humorous, or Batman: The Animated Series when I want it gothic.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks