What's new

Help with Wires Requested (1 Viewer)

Roudybush

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Hello all! I've been utilizing (reading) these forums for a couple months now and love the feedback you provide. I've put together my future system based on recommendations made here.

I am about to make the final move and purchase my AV equipment. However, I'm not sure on what wires I should get. This is where I get thrown off track. Can someone please offer up what types and sizes of wires I would need to purchase? I would prefer to get these ordered from monoprice so they show up about the same time as my equipment.

Reciever: Onyko HT-RC160
Blue Ray: LG BD390
Projector: Optoma HD20
Main and Surround Speakers: SVS SBS-01 (Only 4 for now)
Center Channel Speaker: SVS SCS-01
Sub: SVS PB10-NSD
Other: ButtShakers (Installed in the seats and utilize the 2nd .2 channel)
Game Systems: XBox 360 and Wii

Additional Information: The 2 front speakers and Sub will be between 21' and 33' from the Reciever. All other speakers and equipment will be within 15' of the reciever

I would also appreciate any feedback on my proposed system. I don't think I missed any glaring problems, yet I'm a rookie and didnt' want to go the home theater in a box route so....

Thank you in advance.

David

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
You'll need:

Video (+HDMI audio)
HDMI from receiver to the projector
HDMI from the BD to the receiver
Component or HDMI from 360 to Receiver (what ever you have on the 360, HDMI is best)
Component from Wii to Receiver (have to purchase component video/digital audio kit for Wii).

Audio
Either coax/optical (if available) or L/R RCA from Wii to Reciever
If the 360 does not have HDMI, you need either coax/optical from 360 to receiver

Speakers
Get a spool (or spools) of 12 gauge speaker wire long enough to make your runs (including the Buttshakers). Probably 125' should do, counting slack. Make sure you get in-wall rated if you are fishing through walls or ceilings.
1 RCA terminated audio cable in a length sufficient to go from receiver to sub. Get some slack for optimum placement, in case you hit a huge null.

One question - Do you have a HDTV source?

Roudybush

Auditioning
Real Name
David
Thank you, Jeff.

I'm actually putting the wires in raceways and not in the walls.

As to your question, we do not have a HDTV source at this time. Once things are up and running, we may upgrade our directv to get a HD reciever in theater room. Its not high on the priority list at the moment though.

Just to make sure I'm clear:
I've never delt with HDMI before. From your post, I would deduce that I need both video and audio HDMI cables from the 360 and the BD. I would then need HDMI video only to the projector.

Also, the buttshakers would use regular 12 gauge wire, even though it uses the base channel?

Thank you again

SethH

Senior HTF Member
HDMI carries both audio and video. So you need one HDMI cable for each BR and the 360 and then one HDMI to the projector and you should be good-to-go (for HDMI). Your receiver will upconvert the component signal to HDMI for sending to the projector.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
If you use HDMI on the 360 (some do not come equipped with HDMI), then you would nned optical/coax. Otherwise, HDMI alone will be fine for the BD and 360. Wii most definitely needs audio, it has no HDMI.

From what I know about Buttshakers, they need to be amplified, so your would use regular speaker wires from the amp in the receiver. Unless you are purchasing self-powered ones with internal amps, then you would use RCA audio cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks