What's new

Help with new HT (1 Viewer)

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
I don't understand a few things...

When I put a DVD in my new oppo...the picture is pretty bad. I just put in Starship Troopers and it's pretty awful. It looks like the bad SD channels through my Dish receiver. I know it's not BD and I know its not even HD...but, everyone was telling me to get this oppo player because it upconverts to 1080p, and makes SD DVDs look great. Does it look so bad because I now have a HDTV?

Is there such a thing as too much upconverting? I have everything run through HDMI cables. My receiver upconverts to 1080p, the oppo upconverts to 1080p, and my tv is always viewing through 1080p. The TV says its incoming source is only 720X480. Shouldn't this be 1080p due to all the upconverting before it gets to the TV?

Also, on the Denon, what is the difference between the color space settings: YcbCr and RGB?

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Chris.

Usually the Oppos do a good job, but you may have identified a problem with the Oppo, the receiver and the TV all trying to process the video and doing more harm than good. It almost sounds like this is going on:

480 DVD up-converted to 1080 by the Oppo
1080 Is down-converted by the Denon to present 720 to the TV
TV is up-converting to it's preferred 1080 internal

Try this: connect the Oppo straight to the TV. Then check the Oppo menu setup to make sure it is outputting 1080. Then see how the image looks.

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
thanks for the info

I actually was planning on doing something similar now because I'm in the market for a BD player. And...the 2808 only has two hdmi inputs. So to fix my problems with the oppo...i'll be running hdmi from the oppo directly to the tv, and a digital coax into the denon for sound. Along with that, I'm going to run analog audio cables via BlueJeans into the denon for CD playback. Hopefully this fixes something.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Why the analog for CD, instead of just using the digital connection you'll already have?

AmusingistheDawn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
haha you know...i don't even know

i started a thread about it because i dont know why it was suggested to do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks