What's new

Help on Upgrading! please help. (1 Viewer)

loganbarker8

Auditioning
Real Name
Logan
hello, i am looking to upgrade my surround sound using the lowest amount of money possible. We had everything installed about 10 years ago and i am not sure if it is worth upgrading. We have an old kenwood digilink III receiver rv-5030r. Labeled on it is Dolby Surround Pro Logic. From what i understand, this is very outdated technologically speaking. The receiver is hooked up to a Jamo center speaker, 2 in wall speakers located high on the walls facing the viewing area, and in ceiling speaker directly above the listening area, and 2 rear speakers facing each other on the left and right. I was wondering if buying a new receiver that supports Dolby TrueHD would make a dramatic difference in how good my surround sound is. Or do i need to replace all the in wall speakers too? Also, our current setup does not include a subwoofer... i dont know why it doesnt but is it worth getting one?

Thanks everyone

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
Wow! Yes, I think you may have some outdated stuff. You would notice a big difference between Dolby Pro Logic and Dolby 5.1, not to mention the newer Dolby TrueHD and DTS MA. And yes, I would most definately get a subwoofer. You are missing alot by not having one. And be sure to calibrate the speakers. The newer receivers have built in systems to do that for you. Not sure if I understand why you have a ceiling speaker above the listening area. If the left front, center , and right speakers are properly calibrated, I don't think it would be needed. You can probably find a nice receiver to fit you needs for $300-$500. I would check out Onkyo, Pioneer or Yamaha as a starting point for receivers in that price range.

Gary Shipley

Second Unit
As far as I know, yes. Brand wise, I would look at the Panasonic BD60 or the SonyS360. Both sell for around $300 and are nice Blu ray players.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
Also look at the LG 370/390 BD players, especially if you have fast internet (3+ Mbps) and can make use of the Netflix feature.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks