Help me help my friend spend $500 on good audio system...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Apr 14, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Okay, my friend is looking to get into the audiophile world, and wants to spend $500 CANADIAN for everything (taxes as well) he needs for a good audio system.

Basically he needs two speakers, an amp, and the necessary cabling.

It'd be best if it was something he could get at like Futureshop or A&B sound or any local B&M.

Any suggestions???

Also, he may want to add a subwoofer in the future..

2. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

What is he going to mate the amp and speakers to? How big is his room? Does it open to other areas? You can't just get a blanket recommendation without looking at his performance objectives and listening area. $500 is not much to base a system on so I suggest that he first listen to items that fit his current budget and then determine if he may need to wait and save a bit more before making the plunge. Good luck.

3. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

Hi, I am the friend he is talking about, I asked him to post this message here cause I was still waiting for my account to activate here. I know 500 bucks isnt alot of money but mainly I am just looking for the best music sound I can get with 500 bucks, I will be hooking it up with my PC to a Turtle sound card or my CDplayer. The room is 15x10 feet, maybe alittle better. All I want is a 2 channele setup with no surrounds. Thanks in advanced [​IMG]

4. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

Hi,
    I'd suggest the Axiom M3Ti as your main speakers. Great sound for the money. If you get the factory 2nds with minor scratches and the like, they can be had for $247 US (what's that, like $350 CAN?) Check them out at www.axiomaudio.com, they have links to reviews there. For the receiver, I'd pick up a used stereo or pro-logic receiver on ebay. I use a prologic Harman/Kardon AVR70 that I bought less-remote for $120 on ebay, and it is just amazing for that price. If you're mainly in it for music, you are much better off getting an older *good* stereo or prologic receiver than a new dolby digital receiver for the same or similar money.
    Good Luck,
    Eric

5. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

ah Ic, I will look into the axiom speakers. They seem like a good choice, and they are only for 137 US dollars on their website.

6. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

oh wait... 130 dollars for the M3Ti will only get me one of them. Oops.[​IMG]

7. David Proud

David Proud Stunt Coordinator

Get a Panasonic SA-HE9K 100 Watts/Channel Home Theater Receiver for $139 + shipping at JandR.

Next get a set of JBL N24 speakers for 250$ shipped from buy.com.

Now you have about 100$ to find a sub.

8. David Proud

just a note that receiver is a Dolby Digtal one with 2 opticals and 1 coax input.

and the JBL is a 5 peace set. includes n center, n24s for fronts and rears

9. Eric_Singer

Eric_Singer Agent

Being that your friend only wants a stereo setup, he will get much better sound for the money with the axioms and a stereo or prologic receiver than a new cheap dolby digital receiver and the JBL set. I would certainly not even consider including a subwoofer in a $500 system cap, as the sound would be terrible for music. Probably decent for HT, but slow and sloppy for music. If he wants a sub later, it would be best to save up and get a decent one that will sound good with the system.

10. David Proud

opps , my bad. sometimes I don't READ everything. He only needs two speakers [​IMG]
    well that makes it realy easy. Two JBLS N24 for 100$ and a good 100 - 200$ stereo amp. and the 100 to 200$ on a good CD Player.
    Guys are the JBL N24's not very musical? I looked at some freq charts and for under 2000 there is not a flater speaker.
    I guess the concern here is the lack of frequency below 80hz, correct?
    and there is not a fast musical sub under 500$ that can be had?

11. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Just a reminder, its $500 canadian... [​IMG]

12. Richard_s

Richard_s Second Unit

Did a conversion $500 canadian $315 US dollars.

Most stores are clearing out the JBL N series to make room for the N series Mark II so deep discounts available. If you have a Best Buy near you try there but JBL is available in many places.

I home auditioned the N24's and the N26 JBL. Both are quite capable of filling my room 16X24 cathedral ceiling 14 feet highest point. They sound great.

Pair of N24's was $130 USD I think

Pair of N26's was $180 USD I think

I tested both in my room with a frequency generator and both are quite flat tested at reference levels:

N24 75hz to 18Khz (spec is 79hz low end)

N26 65hz to 18Khz (spec is 55hz low end)

No way to use N24's without a subwoofer in my opinion. Also less efficient than the N26's

The N26's were quite good without a subwoofer. They are more crisp sounding than the N24's, immaging was superior actually outstanding, and going lower may get you by without a subwoofer (a budget breaker for you).

So if you go JBL N26 and assume you can get away without a subwoofer you then have around $135 for your Receiver (maybe more if you can get the N26 for less than $180 USD which I think you can) You don't need the mark II you are basically paying more for a wood case.

13. Henry Low

Henry Low Extra

ahh icic, thanks guys, I think i will go to Futureshop (stuck with only this option) and audition some speakers this weekend hopefully. I will see if they have the N26s there, they sound quite tempting. Thanks for the replies guys. BTW< i am Nick So's friend. [​IMG]