Help me choose between Subwoofers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Nick Jablome, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Im looking at either the Sony WX-700

circuitcity.com/detail.jsp?c=1&b=g&catoid=-8023&qp=0044604040422&oid=79697

or the Harmon Kardon HKsub 12

goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=885971&catky=643993

I don't have a way to go and try these things out, but from i read, people are pretty satisfied with the Sony WX-700, but i can get the Harmon Kardon for a really good deal.

Opinionsnnsssn plz thx

2. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Hey guys wh

3. Thomas P.

Thomas P. Stunt Coordinator

Nick, I don't think you're gonna get much response about either of the subwoofers you listed. Sony and HK are not known for their subwoofer expertise. If they don't go below a certain level they are not really subwoofers and are more like powered woofers.

What price are they? What are the specs? What is your budget? Are you open to other brands? Why those 2?

The links you provided would require someone to open a new browser, copy your links, go to the address bar, paste your links in, look at the subwoofers, and then come back and post a response here.

Several too many actions, me thinks.

4. TosH

TosH Agent

Well, I've done a lot of research the past few weeks on subs and the $2-300 price bracket for subs seems to be sort of a grey area. There really aren't any stand out finished subs in that price range. IMHO you'd be better off saving a few bucks and going with something like the Daton 10" or ponying up some extra cash and going with something like the Hsu STF-2 from CompUSA.

5. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

What TosH said. Dayton 10" from partsexpress.com or saveeee up for the Hsu.

6. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

You copy the link i posted into your window then look at it and go back. It's about as difficult as reading what i said.

The problem with getting a dayton or SVS or whatever is popular around here is that im trading one of my power amps for a sub. It's not straight cash that im getting. If i were to get straight cash, then defintely i would go for a high priced sub.

The trade is i give the sub and in return i get a sub like the HK, and if i go for that, i can for for a 250 watt sony sub that is a little cheaper then the HK.

Im leaning towards the HK because its more expensive, and its harmon kardon. But the sony is 250 watts and is front and down firing.

Even if noone has tried these or likes them, Which would be a better choice to go for between the two?

7. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

I own the SA-wx700, and its a wonderful unit, great for music and good for HT. I've never heard the HK, so can't comment on that. Can play quite loud and still sound clean.

8. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Thanks, i'm quite intrigued by the idea of front and down firing at the same time, it must shake you all over huh?

9. John S

John S Producer

I installed a Sony SA-WM500 a few weeks ago, dang impressive for HT for the $135 they paid.

I have never auditioned an H/K sub ever, so if you get that one, make sure you come back and give us your impressions on it.

Well, heck that goes for the Sony as well ya know. lol

10. Steve Griswold

Steve Griswold Stunt Coordinator

For $350 your best bet is the Hsu STF-2 available at your local CompUSA. See if you can get yourself over there and look at it.

goon?

11. Nick Jablome

Nick Jablome Agent

Haha im not a goon but i do like reading SomethingAwful.

I did a look on ebay and the only HSU sub i could find was a sub amp. The reason why i picked between the HK and the Sony was i could get them from their wholesalers very cheap. I tried doing a search for a cheaper price on the model and couldn't find anything cheaper then what you said it is at CompUSA.

12. Benihana

Benihana Stunt Coordinator

Its more like front and upfiring woofers. But its a technology, the trick is to have the front woofer firing in phase, the the one firing into the cabinet from underneath out of phase, which will cancel some kind of distortion. its called a PUSH-PULL design, which will allow a smaller cabinet to be used. I can attest to that, at high levels it still sounds clean. Most of M&K's subs are like this. Its a lot of technology for the sub at this price point, and comes with a digital amp, and the controls are laid out nice to where you can simply just bendover the sub, and the controls are right there in your face, I WISH MY TEMPEST WAS LIKE THAT. Yes and it does shakes things up pretty good, I was gonna actually buy another one, but I had an itch for a DIY Tempest. 2 of them would make great stereo subs.