What's new

Help me pick a 50"-57" HDTV (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I've been looking into this, and I'm still so unsure, so let me pool all my info so far and update this thread as I try and pick this TV. Thank you for any input!

My Criteria:
1. 50"-57" HDTV
2. Great Picture (obviously)
3. $2000 - $4500 Total Price (with tax, warentee, stand, shipping etc.) Obviously cheaper is good, but I also want something I'll love.
4. Will wait to buy until about end of March, unless there is a smarter reason to buy sooner than that on credit - like a sale that won't be available later.
5. Anti-reflection

Usage and Preference:
1. Will use 60% DVD's, 30% Games, 10% TV.
1. I tend to like the Sony style LCD's, but have also liked the look of some black framed Hitachi's and Pioneers.
2. I'm not favoring the Front Projection idea for my setup.
3. I noticed some darkening on the sides of some of the RPTV's I looked at, and might want to avoid that.

My canditates so far:(from cheap to most expensive)

1. Sony 51" Widescreen HDTV
Brand/Model: SON KDP51WS550
$2,149.99
A little small. My wife and I weren't as excited about the color (gray) and design of the base.

2. Sony 57" Widescreen HDTV
Brand/Model: SON KDP57WS550
$2,699.95
Probably a pretty good choice even though the design of the set wasn't our favorite. The picture quality of the in-store display didn't look that good either compared to the Pioneer and Hitachi models next to it. Still, with an RPTV like this, maybe I'll get smoother lines (no LCD mesh) and richer blacks?

3. Hitachi RPTV model?

4. Pioneer RPTV model?
Salesman said he preferred this one, and that it made regular TV look great.

5. Sony 50" Grand Wega LCD Rear Projection
Brand/Model: SON KF50WE610
$3,099.99
This is the one my wife liked the best when looking at RCWilley yesterday. The picture settings made it look clear and vivid in this particular store. I'm concerned with black levels, the price of the stand, the stability of the stand, and that it's a little small. Still probably one of the highest choices though.
Total Price estimate: $4,200.00

4. Samsung 50" Widescreen DLP™ HDTV Monitor
Brand/Model: SAM HLN507W
$3,699.99
The Circuit City guy keeps telling me this is the only thing I should consider, and that the price would pay for itself over time with all I'd save on repairs and bulbs. The in store displays I've seen have looked pretty good (sometimes the contrast a little too blown out), but the price is also little high.

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Hitachi 55" RPTV and love it....nicest picture in a RPTV I've seen for the money...CC...Delivered was less that $1900.

GOOD LUCK! Tough decision.

Justin_D

Stunt Coordinator
Not trying to sway your decision or anything, and I also have no idea what your room is like, but at that price, you could get a VERY nice projector and build your own screen. The only problem with that is you would have to replace lamps and stuff. Just a suggestion.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
I guess the whole projector idea just doesn't sit that well for me. I don't want to have to worry about kids touching the screen, people walking in the way of the light, I don't know. I just like the idea of it being a TV. Maybe I'm being closed minded about it. I just don't know about how I would feel about video games on it, and regular TV and stuff like that.

Lanny_B

Second Unit
As for rear projection, I noticed that some in the stores had darkening around the edges. That seemed like it would be something that botheres me; does it to any of you?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks