Help me choose my new RPTV.

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jerome Grate, Aug 11, 2004.

1. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Well, I hope I do this link thing correctly. Here's a few t.v.s on the list

RCA

MITSUIBISHI

SONY

TOSHIBA

SONY

PANASONIC

PHILLIPS

PANASONIC W/ATSC TUNER

HITACHI

I apologize for listing so many, but like I said, there are some really great deals. I would like to know about built quality, if you own one of these sets how you like them and how is the set especially with the built in tuner measures up to all the others if you know. Again I apologize, but I need your help to make the best educated decision. I'm definetly leaning towards DVI as a requirement and the price limit is $1,800.00 smackers.

2. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

I would do the mitsu, or the toshiba, with the rca third, the panasonics are not regulkar line stuff (no schematics available yet we've had 2 in the shop but were not true defect user error killed them)the philips is a decent set, but I like the picture clairity on the others better, sony has very poor service (they chrge 4 times as much for parts as the company who makes the part usually rca and toshiba)

3. John S

John S Producer

I love the style on the Panasonic. Man at that price point for the one without the tuner, I think I'd have to give it a shot. If that was the screen size I was looking for that is. It is a hard call, I had budgeted $1800, and ended up only spending $1250, under budget is always a good thing ya know, as long as your happy with what you decide on that is.

4. Jerome Grate

Thanks for the replies, John S, spending under budget will help to get that Zenith DVD player mentioned in my other post.

5. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

you may want to go to another store and see the regular panasonic (we put ours at the same price as the wal mart derivitive)

6. Jerome Grate

I remember posts previously that indicated that the products are different as to build for the big stores like Best Buy etc as oppose to the smaller higher end stores. Is that what you are stating StephenHa.

7. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Jerome,
    You have compiled an excellent cross section of wide screen TV's to consider.
    My experience only pertains to the Sony on your list.
    Mine is the 57" version, but all within this series are the same.
    When I got the Sony, I performed the "tweaks" that were recommended in this forum (Do a search of the possibilities). There were several pages worth that had me go into the Service Menu and make adjustments.
    The process was relativley simple and the results were stunning.
    Again, I am not going to bash the others on your list(I have no right to). I have found the Sony to be a beautiful, reliable, easy to adjust piece of equipment. For what it's worth, the 57" (KP-57WS510) was rated as a "Best Buy" by the folks at "The Perfect Vision" magazine in their July/August issue.

I know it has been said many time before, but I will say it again: Do not trust the quality of any set's picture on the floor of a CC, BB, Sears, etc...
    What they have regarding picture quality will be a crap shoot at best, and not truly representative of what any of these are capable of.

Most places that I go to actually welcome me doing some basic "tweaking" to help me see what is possible. I reccomend that you do the same.

Best Regards, Al. Wise

8. Jerome Grate

Thanks, Al. Wise, the Sony is definetly one of the true three that's on my top choice list. The other two are the Mitsubishi and the Toshiba. I always thought that the stores don't do the t.v.s justice by not calibrating them for optimum viewing even with so much lighting.

9. Jerome Grate

By the way, isn't there a website that rate electronics based on people like us. I know there's one for audio.

10. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

epionions.com has user ratings. the big thing with wal mart sets is you have to deal with wal mart if anything goes wrong, and the parts are different than the regular line stuff. the last sony set we had in the shop was an rca chassis

11. Alan Wise

Alan Wise Stunt Coordinator

Jerome,
    I tend to take website reviews like those of "Epinions" and "Yahoo", etc... with a grain of salt. Manufacturers and competitors can ananomously write in bogus reviews to pump up, or talk down products.
    I laughed at a recent one on Epinions recommending the Denon AVR-3805 because the individual liked being able to connect it to his DVD-2900 via the proprietary Denonlink. Those who have this combo (like me) know that the DVD-2900 does not contain said link capability. Only the DVD-5900 does.

Bottom line, your better off with opinions from this, and other similar forums.

Let us nkow what you end up with.

Good Luck, Al. Wise

12. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

I've had the Sony 510's predecessor, the KP57HW40 for nearly 3 years and my experiences have been the same as Al Wise's (both sets use the same service menu). I could not be happier with this set and it's performance and reliability.

This thing is on for an average of 40 hours a week, and the only maintenance it's needed was one crt lens cleaning which I accomplished myself in about half an hour.

13. Jerome Grate

I added Hitachi to the list and the next question I have is what's the difference between HDMI and DVI.

14. Jerome Grate

Well, narrowed it down to the following 2:

SONY 51 INCH RPTV

TOSHIBA 51 INCH RPTV

I know a guy at Best Buy and will look to get the employee discount, but I was think about Tweeters, now the question I have is based on product build. Does anyone know if the Sonys or Toshibas are built differently for Best Buy as oppose to Tweeters or Sears?

15. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

same sets

16. Jerome Grate

Had to think about the response, I gotcha, same sets in either location.

17. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

yep, once you get away from discount stores and into regular retailers they are going to be the same thing